IH885XLMAN

I always remember when i was young seeing

a irrigator built around the tractor at the farm i used to go to

during the summer hols

have any of you ever seen a setup like this

the machine dates back to 60s or 70s maybee the 50s

but it was mounted on just behind the drivers seat and

was a beast of a machine to look at if i remember it

was perminantly mounted on to a IHC 450 (fordson major sized tractor)

just curious as ive never seen anything like it since

where they a common thing in the 60s anywhere else

maybee NIGEL FORD could shead some light on it

i have doctord a model tractor hose that is for sale on tinternet

and it strikes a familiar resembelance

cheers nigel  ;)

post-15-132638920064_thumb.jpg

we have those here as well Ol, but on a smaller scale , connected to a 3in diameter umbilical hose ,put out on pastureland for dirty water runoff from the slurry lagoons , ideal for the wetter fields,every morning just walk out & go back across the fields with the anchor post & let it wind itself across the field again

the one that i remember was mounted over the rear axel of the tractor not even 3 point linkage

basicaly  "one purpose tractor" the irrigator would be perminatly fixed on the tractor and it even had

irrigator pipe racks either side of the tractor 

We had a similar type machine, I think it was made by Wright Rain and was based around a 2 cylinder air cooled engine which was the same as used in the Citroen 2CV. It also had a french sounding name that I can't even begin to spell :-\ :-\ :-\

I recall seeing a couple of that type in the late70's/early80's.  They were made by a French firm called Laureau and marketed in the UK by Wright Rain.  The ones I saw were mounted atop a Super Major IIRC.  I think the tractor remained static while the boom rotated. When sufficient water had been applied, the tractor was moved on to the next unirrigated part of the field.

They were rather dangerous beasts where overhead power cables were present - I do know one Kent farm where one made contact with a very high voltage cables hung from pylons - killed the driver and set fire to the tractor!

Here's a rather poor quality pic taken from 'Farm Machinery' 10th ed by Claude Culpin:

yep thats more like it i would imagine it was dangerous  but that is the setup in your pic ploughmaster

maybee RORY has some more info on these machines

just one of the images that have stayed with me from my childhood

it was a IHC 450 tractor that was under the one i remember  even then it dwarfed the tractor that was giving its power would hate to drive it down the road maybe it folded up abit for transit

thanks for that ploughmaster

I recall seeing a couple of that type in the late70's/early80's.  They were made by a French firm called Laureau and marketed in the UK by Wright Rain.  The ones I saw were mounted atop a Super Major IIRC.  I think the tractor remained static while the boom rotated. When sufficient water had been applied, the tractor was moved on to the next unirrigated part of the field.

They were rather dangerous beasts where overhead power cables were present - I do know one Kent farm where one made contact with a very high voltage cables hung from pylons - killed the driver and set fire to the tractor!

Here's a rather poor quality pic taken from 'Farm Machinery' 10th ed by Claude Culpin:

Thats the one I just couldn't spell it :D :D :D :D

When I first went to Ag college there was a guy on the HND who had been moving the 10 metre metal pipes, to get it off the trailer you had to push down at one end, the result was that the other end went up into the air. He didn't look where the trailer was parked and as the pipe went up into the air it hit a power line :o :o :o :o He showed us his boots where the electricity had earthed, burned through and he was missing a number of toes :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

still makes me cringe now :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I recon it was pumped in and the water presure drove the

rotaing booms around but i could be wrong  :-\

i think the tractor was just used for hauling the tack about and moving on to the next dry pice of land to be soaked  ;)

remember this was probebly before irrigators like the wright rain drums etc

ah with you, just wondered if the idea of having it mounted like that was to use the engine as the pump drive to,

[glow=red,2,300]cant be any more of a waste of tractor than our 575 and sprayer rig, sat all year round mind[/glow]

also the 450 at the farm where i was probebly expendable

he had 17 IHs in the 70s rangeing from 250s,414,434s674s 784s

and a zetor crystal in there aswell so he wasnt short of spare power  ;)