Suggestions for Custom model board

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title suggests on this topic. For those involved, it is as much for you to help us in finding the best solution.

I dont think I have ever contemplated stopping conversions being posted. I want to grow and expand these boards as much as possible. Ive even started considering having a go myself  ::)

My only concern, as has been brought to my attention by several people of late is some people perhaps forgetting that it's as much about the models, as it is about getting people to buy them off you. We have been working on this for a few weeks now and trying to put features in place to help as much as possible.

I remember a similar debate some time ago regarding selling platforms on FTF. The result was us installing a classified ad system for everyone.

This topic isn't too far from this very same debate, but I would appreciate that rather than rants or diggs at myself and my team, those of you involved in this part of the forum, that you help us to work out the best solution for it.

Hi Iain, thanks for your comments there. It is a priority for all involved to sort it out asap!  :)

The donation button has been changed to a new version. There has actually always been one there, but not visible by all accounts.

I cannot believe it has come to this. When I joined this forum over a year ago there was never problems like this. If we are not careful we will ruin the fun and enjoyment of the forum.

I understand when Andy is coming from in wanting to have an organised selling platform, but also understand that for alot of the guys that do conversions that having their own website would not pay. So a suggestion if I may. As some pay for advertising and others don't why not have a specific traders account where like ebay if you wish to sell/ advertise using the forum you pay a fee of some kind. It would be a shame to loose so of the amazing conversionists on here as it is amazing to see some of the things they have done and I am sure they inspire others to try things, like myselfwho after seeing some of the model sheds on here I am now building my own. The most important thing to remember is that this is a hobby that we all enjoy.

well i was going to keep out of this topic, but from what i have read so far i can see lots of rants but no real problem solving being suggested other than leave it alone, ok thats fine, however, if somebody was using your website, for free, and making large sums of money from it without any payments or donations being made to the up keep of that site, how would you feel, ftf is free, but does actually cost money to run and keep running smoothly, like our recent server swap, certainly wasnt cheap, as i am sure some of you will know and it was all to make things better for you members, not andy or anyone else , and certainly  not to help line peoples pockets.

i know some do pay for advertising banners, other do not, maybe they donate maybe they don't  i am not privy to that info but hows this for a suggestion???

either way you advertise on other sites you would pay, no option they wouldnt let you on otherwise

we have 2 topics one for the non selling members, no member asks how much is it, whens it for sale, and peoples work is appreciated for what it is, a personal build for no financil gain

we have a second topic for the pro sellers, ,every member will know whats the story in there, members don't discuss price , all info like thats kept out of the public eye, and done by pm, one thing to bear in mind with this is, its not free, ftf rates are prob far cheaper than ebay or other online selling platforms, so suerly if your making cash from the paltform andy provides then paying for a banner aint any hardship

if this aint any good then hey feel free to say so, but either way please stop bickering and try to live with whats provided, the classifieds section ,which i am sure with constructive ideas from all members can certainly be made easier to use and promoted better ,and with luck a way to keep everyone happy in dealing with ftf

well i was going to keep out of this topic, but from what i have read so far i can see lots of rants but no real problem solving being suggested other than leave it alone, ok thats fine, however, if somebody was using your website, for free, and making large sums of money from it without any payments or donations being made to the up keep of that site, how would you feel, ftf is free, but does actually cost money to run and keep running smoothly, like our recent server swap, certainly wasnt cheap, as i am sure some of you will know and it was all to make things better for you members, not andy or anyone else , and certainly  not to help line peoples pockets.

i know some do pay for advertising banners, other do not, maybe they donate maybe they don't  i am not privy to that info but hows this for a suggestion???

either way you advertise on other sites you would pay, no option they wouldnt let you on otherwise

we have 2 topics one for the non selling members, no member asks how much is it, whens it for sale, and peoples work is appreciated for what it is, a personal build for no financil gain

we have a second topic for the pro sellers, ,every member will know whats the story in there, members don't discuss price , all info like thats kept out of the public eye, and done by pm, one thing to bear in mind with this is, its not free, ftf rates are prob far cheaper than ebay or other online selling platforms, so suerly if your making cash from the paltform andy provides then paying for a banner aint any hardship

if this aint any good then hey feel free to say so, but either way please stop bickering and try to live with whats provided, the classifieds section ,which i am sure with constructive ideas from all members can certainly be made easier to use and promoted better ,and with luck a way to keep everyone happy in dealing with ftf

Thats sound not bad, 2 topics. Maybe something like a seller account on here aswell like with ebay, Pay fees maybe  :-\ :-\ ??? ???

Blake,

The classifieds system is pretty much ebay, but without the fees. I have no issue in starting a new board for everyone to post links to these items once they are on there.

praise the lord somebody wants to try and solve the problem,well done blake the first sensible constructed reply i have seen in this topic , so come on then, lets hear from the main objectors to the problem we have, and not in a rant and rave way, we are all adult enough to keep a level head and not fly off the handel at mis construed "plots or digs " against them aint we

This is an interesting thread and probably very much needed, now something very odd to me and remember I am from TTT and a mod there and we do not have this issue at all...........................with that said, I am not sure why not........I am going to go chat with Jay and some other mods over there and try to get a better insight in why the forums are so different on this issue........

well........I goes away like always  for the summer ........I comes back to this.........oh dear not nice to see ,I`ve enough arguements in real life without one of my fave online places bein the same.......

At the risk of repeating what`s already been said  by many posters, my tuppence worth............

I hope I understand what`s been said  already and hope too that  I can see both sides of this.

I haven`t the ability, time or facilities to tackle too many conversions etc so being able to see them done by you infinately more talented guys is great for me and  having the opportunity to get hold of some of these superb models or have one made for you, it`s very tempting to jump in and say can I buy this....... how much etc etc.

I suppose we should have the courtesy to do this privately.....save posting silly comments taking up band width ( I don`t understand all that malarky other than it`s bound to cost money to someone.??????....Andy as owner??)

why shouldn`t sellers  have to pay to have their goods advertised  for sale............problem being as mentioned above some photos may unwittingly solicit  the "can I buy this , make me one please  how much " responses meaning they didnt openely advertise  said goods for sale in the first place.

hobby converters making one or two spares to order are a big difference from full scale online traders and herein lies the problem ,how do you differentiate......perhaps a note on the post......this is for  my own collection but can be made to order via the classifieds? or something like..... just a one off  I`ve knocked up for myself guys...

a worldwide problem in all life you can`t please all the people all of the time so we should all respect the efforts being made to reach  reasonable compromises which suit most of the people most of the time.

I don`t have the answer to this ..........I can only perhaps suggest that members who don`t pay for advertising,but benefit financially by selling their work , do the right thing and make a donation even if it`s only a small donation annually, I`m sure every little would help.Probably as much the gesture of  making that  donation,recognising the forum`s part in the deal,would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that,and slightly off topic  if cost is becoming  more of an issue.............would it be so bad to ask us all to pay a small annual subscription ?.I don`t know ,I`m sure it would discourage some folks,especially perhaps the younger members, at a time when we`re all bein squeezed financially but it is only another idea

Can I just add a big thank you to all who post, who contribute by posting pics, ideas etc and to those who  do a great job in keeping this place going.

I`ve certainly made some useful contacts and hopefully some good friends both of which have greatly enhanced my enjoyment of this hobby we all participate in and one day I`ll get to meet a few more of you.

My life would be lesser without the forum so  please can we all try to compromise ,be a little more understanding,without things getting too personal which may ultimately result in the forum  being a much less worthwhile, informative and enjoyable experience for us all.

John

oh and ps...............despite  this, it`s good to be back ! :) :) :)

i agree with ricky whats the big fuss over everything anyways why just wake up one mornning and say oh i am going to stop people from selling models on the forum .

was there a fuss over this before ...........no

is there a fuss now ............yes

??? ??? ??? ???

and all because one man is making money and the rest is not  :-\ :-\

i agree with ricky whats the big fuss over everything anyways why just wake up one mornning and say oh i am going to stop people from selling models on the forum .

??? ??? ??? ???

nowt to do with that murray, this is about giving everyone a even playing field

if you cant see the points both sides are trying to make, then maybe this aint the topic to be replying in???? this is a serious topic that requires serious replys with constructive help/ideas, ricky raised some very vaild points ,as have others and the mod team/ andy in responce to these,

??? ??? ??? ???

Not a very constructive response, and contrary to what you may think, we, as a team were getting several complaints about selling from topics on the Forum. As said by other members of the team and Andy, we are trying to make it a level playing field for all, making it fair on those members/sellers who do play by the rules and/or pay to advertise on here. Members don't come on here to see posts in topics saying "How much" or "Would you sell it", this is what we want to try and exercise control over, not the posting of pictures of peoples conversions.

The best way forward is still being finalised so please feel free to make constructive suggestions to us, either in here or by pm to any member of the mod team, remember we are all volunteers who give up our time to try and make this place enjoyable for one and all and are always open to any suggestions from members

i think your being a bit of a hypocrite you have used pages to let people know that you are making things and what price your gona charge

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16740.15

thats a bit f a fair comment mate and the silage pit topic was floating about just the other day too the one thats on 1/32 implements website

oh i see its ok to hurl replys arround, but not to be constructive and try to resolve the question, fine lets all act like 2 year olds shall we, really thought better of most of the ftf members, i spent a full day advertising this place last sunday for new members and i for sure didn't do it so they can see members acting like this  >:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:(

act like adults and try to resolve the problem not like spoilt 2 year olds

No come on you say you want it to be a level playing field looks like to me there one set of rules for some people and another for others

now you tell me how that is a level playing field?

whos side you on  :D :D

i think your being a bit of a hypocrite you have used pages to let people know that you are making things and what price your gona charge

http://www.farmtoysforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=16740.15

Not sure where your coming from really. Gav is in the same boat as everyone else here, as are you, as am I  :-\

I think the main reason I support sellers posting in the workbench topic, and individual topics, is that they are generally open enough to show their builds step by step from scratch. This enables others who maybe can't afford to buy one or would like to try for themselves to see how an expert does it and follow their technique. This is invaluable for me as a sausage fingered numpty and it would be a shame for us to lose this information.

I like Sean's idea [think it was Sean...? Too much to read!!] of 2 boards. That would make it very clear what's what and also reduce the quantity of daft PM's builders get asking for prices on things which aren't for sale. I know Paul builds some for himself which aren't for sale and I would have thought getting pestered to sell them is irritating. Now I agree that perhaps a small contribution toward FTF costs for this board may legitimise everything and also put the goodwill back into everything which afterall, is why we all love it here.

I can't comment or advise on Andy should run this, and if we make too much work for the mods we'll lose them and none of us want that.

For what it's worth I would still like to see people who build to sell continue to post and prolifically and in the depth they do at present. How Andy sorts this out to the mutual agreement of all is a daunting task which I do not envy. Good luck mate!!

this is great,loads of people wading in without any idea what they are really talking about  >:( >:(>:( >:( , one intresting point that i raised earlier, how come since my reply not one member other than blake has tried to suggest any sort of resoloution, to this problem ???????? is it that maybe they know that we have a point, is it that they dont have any idea how to solve the problem, ok the topic creator hasnt been on since i posted a possible soloution, but certain others have, and they choose not to reply other than in goading other members on via the old favorite pm hotline , we all know who we are talking about, if this has to get personal ,which i really really hope it doesnt, then so be it, but hell do we really need that?? choice is yours  we can act like adults and solve the problem, or we can destroy ftf, with pointless petty bickering