Simons New Holland TM 155 - FINISHED??? Almost!!!

Right, since I'm waiting for Brian Norman for some parts for the 7710, I've got my TM out on the kitchen table to have a go at that instead.

I've got the Britains TM165, some mirrors and late style cab roof from PDC and various chassis' for consideration.

Quick question, not that it's particularly relevant at this early stage since I'm not that fussed what it ends up as, 1, at which model did the TM become the long wheelbase model? and 2, can anyone recommend a chassis for both the short and long wheelbase versions....?

I can't find the camera at the moment but when I do I'll post some pics of the painful progress... ::):D

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I've pulled everything off the Britains chassis and loose fitted it to a UH MTX chassis. Looking at the nose of the TM's, the Britains one looks more like a LWB version with the full depth grill. It all sits on the McCormick chassis quite well, the fuel tank needs squaring off a bit and the exhaust is wrong, but it's taken to it quite well. Would this work out well as a LWB TM.... ???

Hmmm, I've pulled everything off the Britains chassis and loose fitted it to a UH MTX chassis. Looking at the nose of the TM's, the Britains one looks more like a LWB version with the full depth grill. It all sits on the McCormick chassis quite well, the fuel tank needs squaring off a bit and the exhaust is wrong, but it's taken to it quite well. Would this work out well as a LWB TM.... ???

i'll post up pics soon, but i have fitted a TM cab and floorpan on an MTX chassis with JD7530 wheels

Cheers Marcus.... I've bitten off way more than that though!! In fact, I wish I'd seen that couple of hours ago, I've got a CVX which is useless as it is so I would probably have done that....

Thanks Dan, post them up mate.

I have spent this evening dealing with the Britains cab. I templated out some styrene sheet which I've glued to the cab frame, without glazing, and filed it all flush, so that I can widen the original cab frame and then glaze it right. The MTX cab is a bit tall at the back and the side windows are a bit narrow for my liking so, foolishly, I'm going to try to get the Britains one right....

Here you go, I got a bit further than this last night but only took this one on my phone...

I've added styrene sheet to the outside of the cab frame at the sides and filed it flush which the glazing will then sit onto. I've also, since this was taken, stuck on an oversize section of styrene to the front which will make the exposed cab posts at the front with the soft corners on it. I'll probably stick another layer on to beef up the A posts and give me something to glaze into.

I'll have another go this evening and hopefully get the cab frame itself ready for paint....maybe.. ::)

post-1414-132638930761_thumb.jpg

I don't seem to be able to get on with plastic weld. I tried it to bond the extra side panels to the original cab frame but I couldn't get the buggers to stick. I used yellow Roket in the end, that stuff's fantastic! [Thanks Jez  ;)]

I've got clear sheet to make up my own glazing later on, I don't like the Britains glazing, I think it's one of the worst things they ever did, second only to dropping the decent hitch and using the one they have now.... oh... and the wire ties.... and the list goes on... anwyay  ;D

I don't seem to be able to get on with plastic weld. I tried it to bond the extra side panels to the original cab frame but I couldn't get the buggers to stick. I used yellow Roket in the end, that stuff's fantastic! [Thanks Jez  ;)]

I've got clear sheet to make up my own glazing later on, I don't like the Britains glazing, I think it's one of the worst things they ever did, second only to dropping the decent hitch and using the one they have now.... oh... and the wire ties.... and the list goes on... anwyay  ;D

Your not the only one regarding the plastic weld....I remember a conversation with one of the greats who won't touch the stuff unless its really essential so your in great company mate  ;);D

Very nice simon, do you have to file it down to get the floor pan to fit on the morcomick chassis

Not sure yet Adam, it fouls on the splashguards on the steps so once I've dealt with that I'll know better, I don't think so though....

It looks awesome Simon  :o :o :o just keep on going in that direction mate  :) :) ;)

Thanks Pete, I'm having great fun...

Your not the only one regarding the plastic weld....I remember a conversation with one of the greats who won't touch the stuff unless its really essential so your in great company mate  ;);D

It's horrid stuff. Maybe for easy shapes where it's plastruct to plastruct it'll be OK, but bonding differing materials seems to be a bit of an art...

Well, I had another couple of hours on this last night, my plan was to get the cab frame ready for paint but as you'll see, I didn't quite make it...

There's still a lot more smoothing off to do on the cab frame but it's starting to take shape. I've got the corner posts standing off now and they have a rudimentary fillet down the corners, but like I say, need some fine sanding before paint.

I cut out the rear lower cab section between the arches and started forming the crossmember which separates the upper and lower back windows, also whipped off the steps & tank because they're not right on the MTX chassis so will scratch build some before I paint the cab.

I've started knocking the mudguard extensions together, they're still a bit wide at the moment, I began filing one side down, needs a bit more yet.

You should be able to see the projecting corner posts on the cab in these...

post-1414-132638931199_thumb.jpg

post-1414-13263893121_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, it's slow going but very rewarding.  ;D Might widen out the back of the cab at where it drops down to the mudguards, looks a bit narrow to me... ??? Mudguards still a bit wide too. The roof is just sat on top of the frame, needs some packing underneath and some infill round the sides, filter grilles and so on....

post-1414-132638931237_thumb.jpg

post-1414-132638931248_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete, it's slow going but very rewarding.  ;D Might widen out the back of the cab at where it drops down to the mudguards, looks a bit narrow to me... ??? Mudguards still a bit wide too. The roof is just sat on top of the frame, needs some packing underneath and some infill round the sides, filter grilles and so on....

I think the Mudguards are OK mate you did a great job,they will look different when you paint them black.And maby the wheels from the Siku fendt 718 will fit better.The same ones that i use for the JD 4955.They are much wider  :) :) ;)

One mudguard is slightly narrower than the other, I think it's the left one I think, I'll file the other down to match it and shape them up properly then they're about there. The extensions are only tacked on at the mo, I can't decide whether to fix them properly and paint those or use them as templates to make some more out of black styrene sheet.

I'm still in a bit of a quandary over wheels and tyres, I do like the big chunkies on a TM, but as I think most pople know, I'm not a fan of massive tractors, so I'm thinking this one will be from lower down the TM range. Does the MTX chassis come out closer to a LWB or SWB TM? I'd like to do it as a TM 140 / 155 and hang a nice 3m combination drill off the back of it..... I don't particularly like the MTX fronts but I think with a bit of fiddling I'll get them to give the overall impression I'm looking for.... ???

One mudguard is slightly narrower than the other, I think it's the left one I think, I'll file the other down to match it and shape them up properly then they're about there. The extensions are only tacked on at the mo, I can't decide whether to fix them properly and paint those or use them as templates to make some more out of black styrene sheet.

I'm still in a bit of a quandary over wheels and tyres, I do like the big chunkies on a TM, but as I think most pople know, I'm not a fan of massive tractors, so I'm thinking this one will be from lower down the TM range. Does the MTX chassis come out closer to a LWB or SWB TM? I'd like to do it as a TM 140 / 155 and hang a nice 3m combination drill off the back of it..... I don't particularly like the MTX fronts but I think with a bit of fiddling I'll get them to give the overall impression I'm looking for.... ???

The tires that you have will be perfect for the lower TM  ;) ;) ;)

Like your idea with the cab frame Simon ;)

Hmmm, I'm beginning to wonder if it actually was a good idea after all...  :-\.. if Mrs H lets me, this will be the 3rd evening on it and no end in sight yet!!  ::):D