jd 965 combine

straw chopper or not  

69 members have voted

1. 1. straw chopper or not

• yes fit a chopper
    • no leave her without

They are in pairs on the real combine, so have made some test ones it looks as though the best way would be to solder them to a metal reel bar, but need to be a bit of experimenting...got some fine copper wire which bends a treat, though might be a bit too flimsy :-\

They are in pairs on the real combine, so have made some test ones it looks as though the best way would be to solder them to a metal reel bar, but need to be a bit of experimenting...got some fine copper wire which bends a treat, though might be a bit too flimsy :-\

no it wont really be played with, and at the lenghts it will be once cut (3/4 mm,on the 625) it will take some doing to, usally just drill and glue to plasti rod for mine i must confess

Excellent to see a 900 series JD being built. No chopper as I would say the majority of 965's didn't have one. Most farms either baled the straw or burn't it in the swath in the seventies and eighties. Choppers came later with the ban on burning. The wheels are too wide but that is a minor detail that can be changed later, can't wait to see it resplendent in it's green top coat.

mmmm not sure Sean, you could just build a mounted one for the tractor, they used them a lot over here when the burning ban came into effect and no one had one on their machines :-\ :-\

i remember using one of the tractor mounted choppers a few years back the straw was to wet to bail so we chopped it in dec before ploughing it

Excellent to see a 900 series JD being built. No chopper as I would say the majority of 965's didn't have one. Most farms either baled the straw or burn't it in the swath in the seventies and eighties. Choppers came later with the ban on burning. The wheels are too wide but that is a minor detail that can be changed later, can't wait to see it resplendent in it's green top coat.

yeah they are to wide, but are the right sort of dia to set the height at ,working on new hubs for it as i type, e-mailoff to scaledown nigel in a min as i think i have seen a sutiable set 

• 2 weeks later...

well engine bay vents all fitted now, along with the rear hand rails, light bars at the rear, engine and grain tank areas now seperated, just need to sort a engine block in the back, corner steps fitted up to the engine area at the rear along with the new front wheels, looks a lot better with just these on, tommorrows engine, last of any missing bodywork ,then onto the cab interior,

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Excellent job there Sean - what are you planning on using for the engine - one from a 4020 would be ideal ;)

was just pondering that one mate, think you may have solved it for me now, was looking like a scratch build one of some sorts, but no idea where to start on that, just off to the shed now to look at my box of spare chassis sure i have a jd one out there

nice job sean looks really well where did you get the wheels? 8) 8)

the main fronts are from nigle at scaledown, and spot on size wise, at 14.8 x 30's which is standard fits for the 965, the rears are off a uh renault ergos, with some modifying to the hubs

got the cab interior started today, all removable at the min so i can paint the body then insert the internals after, also got the door fitted and runners in place for that so its all working, got the flywheel/pully wheel under the auger started to as you can see that on pics

one question mind can anyone see any bits i have missed from the bodywork???