Britains Catalogues

blueford

Trade or customer?

How many were made?

Talking to Charlie Biggs last year I think he said something like half a million customer catalogues per year.

What prizes are real?        what do you mean?

I'm looking for some of these trade ones as well :)

1960 to 1964 there was an annual large size (A4ish) landscape format full trade catalogue, and a similar sized 'New Lines' catalogue. There were no customer catalogues at that time, although in both 1963 and 1964 4 smaller sized single sheet leaflets were produced for retailers to pass on to the customer-

one had Farm and Tree models on it,

one had Zoo and Tree models on it,

one had Floral Garden and (you've guessed it!) Tree Models on it,

and the fourth had Swoppets, Gun Models, Eyes Right, Motor Cycles, Petrol pumps and the Industrial Major with Shawnee Poole Dumper.

From 1965 to 1971 there was an annual joint Trade/Customer catalogue about half the size of the early 60's ones. They were priced at sixpence (the customer catalogues were free from 1973 on). I believe the ones issued for the trade had a card enclosure with details of new models and point of sale material on them (I am a bit vague on this as they are unbelievably rare and I have not seen one). 

I assume by 'prizes', you mean prices.  The early 60's trade catalogues sell for anything from £50 to £150 depending on condition (though I have known exceptional ones sell for over £200).  The 1963 and 1964 leaflets in good to mint condition should be about £20+ (bit more for the Farm ones) and the smaller late 60's ones (without the card outer) vary from £15 to £40 depending on condition. 

From 1965 to 1971 there was an annual joint Trade/Customer catalogue about half the size of the early 60's ones. They were priced at sixpence (the customer catalogues were free from 1972 on). I believe the ones issued for the trade had a card enclosure with details of new models and point of sale material on them (I am a bit vague on this as they are unbelievably rare and I have not seen one).   

Do you mean these ploughmaster?

IMG_20081218_4354.jpg

IMG_20081218_4355.jpg

IMG_20081218_4356.jpg

IMG_20081218_4359.jpg

Have others if interested ;)

The catalogues came with a price list as well but not all the stockists or shops left them in when you picked up a catalogue, especially the shops that charged a little over the odds.

'66 cat has printed prices in/on it. '68 cat has both printed and separate price list.

Those are the ones super6 ;D   I haven't seen that Zoo leaflet without the trees before - it's one I haven't got! :( 

Looking at those pics, I have realised that the earlier ones were priced at 3d.  By 1971 they had increased to 6d! There are also 'export' versions of those catalogues without the price on the cover. 

There are also export versions of the early 60's trade catalogues - I have one with the inside of the front cover printed with details of Reeves International, who imported Britains products into the USA.  On the UK issue, this page was left blank.