marshall 14 ton dump trailer

off work not well but as they say every cloud has a silver linning, and it comes in the shape of plenty time to build models ;) Started work on a marshall trailers dumper, just got body rams, backdoor rams and hinge points to sort out then its of to the paint shop

post-466-132638981558_thumb.jpg

post-466-132638981579_thumb.jpg

little more tikering today, fitted the body rams, back door rams which i'm still not convinced are a sucess and got the hinge point for the body sorted out now for a lick of green and red paint some decals and we are ready to haul rock ;D ;D

post-466-132638982162_thumb.jpg

post-466-132638982174_thumb.jpg

That's a beauty TB, great looking trailer  ;D What does she weigh like ??? I think styrene is the perfect material visually for building this stuff, but having not built anything like this, does it have enough weight in the finished model? You didn't fancy building the chassis out of brass then? I want to do a little 8t AW but I'm concerned it might feel a bit flimsy....

That's a beauty TB, great looking trailer  ;D What does she weigh like ??? I think styrene is the perfect material visually for building this stuff, but having not built anything like this, does it have enough weight in the finished model? You didn't fancy building the chassis out of brass then? I want to do a little 8t AW but I'm concerned it might feel a bit flimsy....

i think that the plastruct and styrene sheet is the perfect model building material for me Simon as i aint an acomplished model builder, YET ;D. i think it's pretty strong stuff once its all glued together, i wouldn't describe it as flimsy more brittle as it wont stand a right knock but as they are only for display and not carpet farming this dosn't bother me, you have just to be carefull when handling them as i have found to my peril!!!, on that note don't let just  >:( ANYBODY >:( handle a finished styrene model as i could be the end of a relationship! (i still hav'nt forgiven the wife for dropping my flat bed arctic trailer) the other good thing about plastruct is that if you f**k up a bit its not the end of the world and you can snap it off and start again, brass sounds like to much hard work for me as any thing you cut would have to be pretty exact with then you have to have it held in place as you then solder it, yes a stronger end product but the plastic works for me as its a more flexible and adaptable product for my needs and capabilities. the brittleness of my models maybe comes from the glue i use as i use that two part mitre bond stuff that kitchen fitters use for kitchen cornices and pelmets but my god its fast, glue on one side and accelerator spray on the other and 10 secs later hey presto its pretty solid and that way you can keep building instead of having to wait for the glue to dry. weight wise probably the heaviest thing on the model would be whatever wheels you choose to fit on it, and strength wise some of my trailers are strong enough to support the weight of another model tractor or impliment so on the whole i like the capabilities of the plastruct and styrene sheet, hope this helps you simon

Thanks for that chap, that's enough endorsement for me, I don't build to carpet farm either, with the kids these things could be made out of diamond and kevlar and they'd still break them. I like styrene as a material, it does work and shape really well, and paints nicely. If you describe yourself as not accomplished yet, then I'm definitely avoiding brass for a while  :D :D :D

Have you tried Roket or Zap glues yet? The Zap is a 10 second glue I think but without an accelerator, you can just splodge it on one piece. The Roket is the same but even quicker, styrene to styrene seems to be a case of touch them together and then let go!

Isn't it about time you get this painted now, just in case you have to go back to work!  :D

dam thats good mate, know exactly what you mean about the plasti card to, most if not all of mine are from taht, inc rams ect, somes fragile being small, like the 35 front loader, but for static dispaly on the layout its spot on,infact prob more usable than you think if you take care

Looking real good toyboy.

I am going to have to come and see all these models in the flesh  ;D ;D

And also make a few disapeer ::) ::)

Well if you're passing through keith sometime rob give me a shout before hand and you could maybe nip in past, but i can assure you NONE will disappear, they are all counted ;D ;D ;)