Ford 5000 (old type)

richo

I'm after a little clarification on the early version of the 5000 tractor.

I have just got an un boxed ford 5000 in very good condition. It is the early version as it has the exhaust near to the cab.

I thought all of the 5000 were the steer o matic type. However on my tractor the steering only seems to work from the steering wheel. As I have not ever held a steer o matic 5000 I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Any ideas greatfully received.

Thanks

Richard

Not all the 5000's had 'Steer-o-Matic'. 

From the introduction of the Super Major 5000 in 1965 to 1969, the farm version was not fitted with a cab and so was easily steerable from the steering wheel. 

From 1970 to 1973, it was fitted with the industrial type cab from the Shawnee Poole Dumper set.  That set, and the Dump trailer on its own included a plastic clip which fitted onto the steering wheel through the front of the cab.  A string was attached to this with the other end being attached to a plastic spade which was also included which could be used to tow and steer the tractor.  This attachment wasn't included with the farm version however. 

The Steer-o-Matic only came in with the fitting of the FIECo safety cab in 1973, on which the steering wheel was completely inaccessible. 

The exhaust was always in the same place on the 5000, although the Super Major 5000 had a short oval silencer, the uncabbed Force 5000 had a round silencer.  The cabbed 5000's had the same silencer, but a shorter top pipe. 

The exhaust position was moved nearer the front of the bonnet with the introduction of the 6600.

Ok thanks for that but I'm still slightly confused!

Also I forgot to mention that the 5000 that I've just got is the version with the Fieca cab.

Looking in David Pullen's book he suggests that there are two versions of the Fieca cab Ford 5000.

1973-1975 with exhaust close to the cab and a paper decal on the grill.

1975  exhaust moved to front of bonnet and it had a 6600 style grill although the 6600 tractor seemed to be released a year later in 1976.

Both these versions are said to have steer o matic steering.

As far as I can tell the one I have does not. How exactly did this system work? Is it obvious or am I missing something?

Any more ideas?

post-312-132638983004_thumb.jpg

post-312-132638983006_thumb.jpg

All the ones from 1973 on had 'Steer-o-Matic',  but it simply worked by applying a little pressure to 'lean' the tractor slightly in the direction you wished it to steer, and the front axle beam swung that way in response to this.  It wasn't anything very technical, and may have been something britains discovered by accident, rather than something that was intentionally designed into the model.

The model you are referring to with the 5000 decal but the exhaust at the front is what is generally referred to as a 'transition' model, made when Britains were still using up parts from the previous version after the new one came out.  Whilst the 6600 was first shown in the 1976 catalogue, they actually started appearing in the shops in the autumn of 1975, Ford having launched the 600 series earlier that year. 

Your example looks a very nice one and will be one that was sold as having Steer-o-Matic.

The cab was made by the Ford Industrial Equipment Company, hence the abbreviation to FIECo. You will also find parts on some tractors of the time marked FoMoCo for Ford Motor Company (the front end suitcase weights being one example).

The steer-o -matic worked as stated above , but the front axle was modified  by addition of  a horizontal piece added to bottom of what represents the king pin , this piece runs around  inside of wheel & when tractor is leaned over to one side  this will rub on wheel & the friction created slows this wheel down , causing axle to swing  & create  a steering effect .

If you look at inside of wheels on your tractor this addition can be seen , if you look closely at Bills boxed tractor you can see it is not on this earlier version

You can tell the earlier version too with the "wheel rot" on the rear rims too ;) ;)

All the plastic wheeled/PVC tyred 5000's suffer wheel melt unless kept in reasonably cool conditions.  Most of the tractors Britains made right up until the end of UK manufacture have the same problem, although the Fordd 6600 (which had harder tyres) and the MF 135 don't seem to suffer.  Indeed, the silver wheels in general are far less prone to it than the white wheels. 

The more recent tractors may be better, but they haven't really been around long enough for it to appear.

Here is a Ford 5000 without cab in slider box from my childhood days. It steers via the steering wheel. Would have been pre 1969 ish from memory

These date from 1969, pre force before  ::)  ;)

The steer-o -matic worked as stated above , but the front axle was modified  by addition of  a horizontal piece added to bottom of what represents the king pin , this piece runs around  inside of wheel & when tractor is leaned over to one side  this will rub on wheel & the friction created slows this wheel down , causing axle to swing  & create  a steering effect .

If you look at inside of wheels on your tractor this addition can be seen , if you look closely at Bills boxed tractor you can see it is not on this earlier version

The wheels were also modified to allow this additional piece to sit inside the rim

• 3 years later...

On the back of my Ford 6600 box there is a blurb about the tractor, its power and measurements plus its history. Does anyone know if there a similar description on the back of earlier 5000 boxes?