MOFFETT MFT 7840 TRACTOR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand. You can use the tractor as a normal tractor (facing engine) with or without the loader attached [loader can be detached in approx 3 mins] and then for loader work (or perhaps other work like swathing) it acts like a Bi-Directional Ford/New Holland or Versatile (see pic below).

Hope this helps

Cheers

NewHolland2

ya your right new holland two the loader comes off in a matter of seconds for tractor work or if you want to use it as a loader the seat just swivels around and the steering wheel moves around to the cack using a very clever system remember when i got a demo of it once was only about 9 or 10 id say i was very impressed, the way all the controls are positioned on the seat means they are all easily reached no matter what position you have the seat and you dont get confused by things being the opposite way, theres also pedels on both side i.e facing forwards and facing the other forwards  :P as far as i remember it

Guest Fendt pwr

I've spent many hours feeding & stacking round bales with a 276 versatile bi-directional tractor.The hydrostatic drive got worse every week and within a few mounths of getting it it would hardly move in number 2 range even at 1800rpm (it was full of oil).Then all the welds on the loader started to crack open so it was then down to only 1 soft center bale at a time, so feeding took alot longer.The thing that hacked me off the most was even when the guy I worked for got it 2nd hand but fully done up it still could,nt lift any more than a new holland ts100 with front end loader.

When the first one appeared around here the story was that he needed the power of a telehandler , couldn`t afford one and this was a suitable alternative because as has been said, the loader could be dropped off in  afew mins ...The loader part was supposed to be a very powerful version  and on par with the telehandlers at the time hence giving the lifting power of a telehandler with the versatility of a tractor that could be fully used as a tractor when required .

that`s what they said at least.......

john

The 'MF based' Moffet was based on an MF industrial driveline, something similar to a digger base. Thats why it doesn't look remotely like a Massey tractor. Can ssomeone clarify if the MF based ones came after the Ford based ones, and does anybody know the reason for the change?? Thanks

8)

Hello there. I'm pretty sure that the MF Based ones came before the Ford based ones as from the two which used to work here I'm sure the Ford had the more modern of the number plates etc.

Does anyone know which model the MF Moffett was based on?

Cheers

NewHolland2

OK, but if you say that the MF based ones had only MFT on them because Moffet had sold the tractor business, how come the later Ford ones have Moffet written all over them? In fact, what I think happened was, the idea was developed by a farmer and taken on by an engineering firm in Co.Louth. This company then sold out at least the tractor enterprise to Moffet, who changed the skid unit to a Ford (much better I think!)

There are two reasons behind my theory:

1: A department guy who came to our farm last year told my dad and brother that his uncle came up with the original idea, and based it on an old Massey. We didnt get any more details

2: I had a brochure for the MF based ones not so long ago, and reading through it I noticed that it made no mention of Mofffet, and showed a photo of the plant where they were made, with an address in Louth.

I hope that this brief potted history helps

8)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Since we're discussing Moffetts I thought I'd put up a pic of a Moffett MFT conversion I did about a year and a half ago. It's based on a Britains 1/32 Renault TX.16 (I think) and has an old broken Britains Front Loader Sytem attached to its rear linkage, so it can't tow a trailer while the loader is attahced. It's not nearly as good as Dave's but it did a good job.  ;)

Enjoy

Cheers

NewHolland2