LOWER DEESIDE ( PETERCULTER ) PLOUGHING MATCH 28/12/2008

BC

Well yesterday I went along to the local ploughing match from the back of 8am to around 12. it was cold damp and miserable and by lunchtime i had enough. I didn't get a program so not much in the way of any story just some pictures of some rather nice classics taking part.

The photos in no particular order just as I took them on my travels

c008d8f6.jpg

2e64c732.jpg

19edea74.jpg

819f5860.jpg

f40d0748.jpg

f9703acc.jpg

Thanks for posting Bill, some tidy work being done there.

Whenever I go to ploughing matches I always wish I knew more about the proper way to do it, the last time I did any ploughing (1981) all I was told was "it doesn't matter as long as it is brown side up"  :D :D :D :D :D

Yes there was some tidy looking ploughing there Mike. The thing what annoys me about this competition stuff is that they kicked off at 9.30 then once the feerings done waited ages for that to be judged before really getting started. The ones I looked at all had different methods of doing their feering so I'm non the wiser really :(. Not that it will matter for me because when I take out me trailing Ransomes to the BA event next May it one way ploughing anyway.

Had the day been nicer I would have stayed to the bitter end but being damp and cold feet with wellies on I decided on home time ;)

Yes it was a good match Colm even though only around 30 to 35 odd entrants. The reversible class was in another field and appears to be fading away at this particular match. Next year they have decided because of this to add a vintage trailing class. Me won't be taking part though.I just wish I could have stayed longer to see the finishes too and to see the winners but with the horrible day I had had my fill and wanted home to the warmth of indoors ;)

Yes there was a good turn out of classic there Marcus. No vintage class as such and no vintage tractors other than Joe Adams from Mintlaw with his Series 3 Field Marshall and 4 furrow plough. He was struggling big time going up the hill and him and his "coach" were blaming the boards were not cleaning properly ;) ;)

Next year they plan on having a trailing plough class so that might bring in more vintage tractors

ahh most of the matches i go to round here have at least a 25% showing of trailed ploughs, not something i've ever had the chance of using ,having said that of all the acres i've ploughed i'm self taught  so i'd like to try a trailed one albeit badly  :D

Well I tried a trailing plough a Ransomes TS42A behind my Farmall Cub for the first time this year at fun working weekend that is held locally in May. That reminds me  I really need to see about getting my scriefer and or discs and spring hitch looked out and fitted to my plough before long.

I attach the link to my first attempt with a trailed one.

I can't find the post I had last May with photos of the BA event but here was my day 2 attempt with the trailed one.

BA2008056.jpg

Good pics Bill. I do like that 4wd Dexta.  :)  Looks like a nice bit of well drained land.

I like to make a good job of ploughing but I'd never have the patience to mess around like that.  :D

That is quite a rare tractor that 4Wd Dexta John and I don't think there were many made and are still around. I know the chap spent a fortune getting new gears etc for teh front wheel drive machined for it many many year ago. The plough is heavily modified too and he has lots of spool valves and handles. To see him plough makes it all so so easy but them again he is a chap in his 70's so he has had years of practice.

I must admit I was getting fed up just waiting for the ferrings to be judged.