Marston 22 ton trailer

Our local sugar beet factory has closed, and a lot of farmers had big (triple axle, 20+ tonne) trailers for hauling beet 30-40 miles to it.

This year they are looking at 80-100 mile trips (one way) so I reckon it's only a matter of time before one of us snaps a photo of a real trailer of that size - although I reckon the axles will be closer to the centre for balance.

Going off topic - the funniest "tractor" I ever saw drawing sugar beet was a tractor unit (truck - poss bonneted Mercedes) with an MF1200 bonnet, cab and badging with a fifth wheel hitched to a 40ft trailer. I assume, but don't know for sure, that it was taxed as an agri tractor, not a truck. It looks well cool though!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NCC you still have this???? ??? ???

Of course FB ;D ;D

nice cart

Thanks

Nathen, nice looking trailer but i would have made it 1 or 2 sections shorter to make it like the Easterby Beet Heeper trailer as the body is nearly too long for the chassie as it looks like it would bend under full load in real life, but then u have made a much better job than i could have done, keep up the good work! sparrow legs.

Bigger is better ;D ;D ;D No you are right to a certain extent, the wheels could of been a tad further forward and some Trelles would help too ;D ;D ;D

neat work a bit big though

Like I say bigger is better ::) ::)

Our local sugar beet factory has closed, and a lot of farmers had big (triple axle, 20+ tonne) trailers for hauling beet 30-40 miles to it.

This year they are looking at 80-100 mile trips (one way) so I reckon it's only a matter of time before one of us snaps a photo of a real trailer of that size - although I reckon the axles will be closer to the centre for balance.

Going off topic - the funniest "tractor" I ever saw drawing sugar beet was a tractor unit (truck - poss bonneted Mercedes) with an MF1200 bonnet, cab and badging with a fifth wheel hitched to a 40ft trailer. I assume, but don't know for sure, that it was taxed as an agri tractor, not a truck. It looks well cool though!

Krampes Tridem has a 24 ton capacity already total gross weighing in at 35 tons that's without a tractor :o :o :o Don't see too many knocking around though :'( :'(

Hey Stan what a coincidence, my parents are really friendly with the people who own that, in fact they have two! They live up in Laois and used to draw the beet straight into the factory with them using extended cut down council lorries (theyre great men for the cut down lorries!). The '1200s' are indeed based on truck units with the massey tinwork stuck on top. They still have the truck gear lever sticking up through the floor!! They even still have the air brakes and can do the same speed as the original truck.

We went to see them after Fingal during the summer, and I got a few pics so I will try to get them up next week. The guy was saying that the only reason they got away with them taxed as tractors is because they never did hire work, only their own haulage, so the local guards and hauliers turned a blind eye. They still use them for the beet and towing a low loader with a digger ;)

8)

i think thet trailer looks pretty good nath, but pulling the wheels forwards maybe one section wouldnt be a bad idea as if that tractor seriously started to dig in you'd be grounded within a couple of yards & maybe move the rams up to the middle of the chassis as if they were real they'd never tip it :-\  just like the rams on a teagle titan  ::) .Other than that nice model ! :) :)

Hey Stan what a coincidence, my parents are really friendly with the people who own that, in fact they have two! They live up in Laois and used to draw the beet straight into the factory with them using extended cut down council lorries (theyre great men for the cut down lorries!). The '1200s' are indeed based on truck units with the massey tinwork stuck on top. They still have the truck gear lever sticking up through the floor!! They even still have the air brakes and can do the same speed as the original truck.

? ?We went to see them after Fingal during the summer, and I got a few pics so I will try to get them up next week. The guy was saying that the only reason they got away with them taxed as tractors is because they never did hire work, only their own haulage, so the local guards and hauliers turned a blind eye. They still use them for the beet and towing a low loader with a digger ;)

8)

Can't wait to see these!