The Aughton Valley Collection

I really regret not having lighting in my cabinet as well  :'( - I've 'rescued' a similar cabinet recently as well... I'll get some pics of it shortly  :)

That would be good to see Mark, I really hope I can make something of this, width wise it's a perfect fit in between some of the other furniture in my room, just the height that's an issue and the jounrney it would have to travel to it's resting place. If I do use it, my ideal idea would be to collect some of the UH implements and display them with some of the tractors. :)

that sounds good David... could you get the glass cut down a bit ???

It's something i've considered looking into Mark, it's pretty thick stuff. The structure of the cabinet has largely been glued together, my original thought was to cut down the cupboard at the bottom and figure out a way of making it a new base for it to sit on, but the metal frame work that holds the glass in place extends to the bottom of it, and i'm a little bit cautious about trying to alter it myself. I'll try and get some close up shots of it's construction and post them here.   

Indeed... let's have a peek David  ;):-\

I'll have some photographs sorted out tommorow afternoon when i've finished work Mark, they'll give you a better idea with what i'm faced with than my descriptions ;). My Dad's opinion is I should probably look for something a little less cumbersome and easier to modify, but I don't want to give up on the idea of using it just yet.

Very nice collection you have there David. Also some very nice cabinets.

texas

Thanks Bas, still searching for more cabinet space to keep the dust from the rest of the collection and any future purchases. :)

As promised here are some close up shots that hopefully give some idea as to how my recently aquired perfume cabinet has been constructed.

DSC04101.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04102.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

It looks like standard shopfitting fayre to me Dave, all put together using Hafele fixtures... bar the odd buscuit joint & glued dowel it should all come apart fairly easily... the glass will all be at the very least toughened so I shouldn't worry too much.... tip it on it's back, get rid of the doors, prise the side panels off and cut the [what looks like SAA] aluminium channels off and you should be away.... ;D

Any local glass processing firm should be able to cut the glass down, we have one who do loads of stuff for us... find someone who makes mirrors or double glazing units and they'll have the kit to do it, shouldn't charge more than a few quid either..... I can get a mirror made for 15 quid so to cut bit of glass, if they're halfway pleasant, should be sod all.... ;)

It looks like standard shopfitting fayre to me Dave, all put together using Hafele fixtures... bar the odd buscuit joint & glued dowel it should all come apart fairly easily... the glass will all be at the very least toughened so I shouldn't worry too much.... tip it on it's back, get rid of the doors, prise the side panels off and cut the [what looks like SAA] aluminium channels off and you should be away.... ;D

Any local glass processing firm should be able to cut the glass down, we have one who do loads of stuff for us... find someone who makes mirrors or double glazing units and they'll have the kit to do it, shouldn't charge more than a few quid either..... I can get a mirror made for 15 quid so to cut bit of glass, if they're halfway pleasant, should be sod all.... ;)

Thanks for the encouraging words and advice Simon, very much appreciated. :) I'll hopefully start to make some proper progress on this in the not too distant future, it's looking like i'll be in desperate need of the display space after April the 5th.  :D

• 2 months later...

Now that i'm back, just about fully functioning, I thought I'd begin by updating my collection topic which has continued to expand since my trip to Spalding.

Here's a few photographs i've taken in the past month of my Spalding and more recent purchases.

Not long after Spalding I found another cheap cabinet in a local charity shop to fill and keep the dust of a few more models, aside from give it a good clean and a polish i've done nothing more to this one.

DSC04502.jpg

DSC04504.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04506.jpg

High on my shopping list at Spalding was one of PDC's wonderful New Holland TS110 conversions, i'm chuffed to bits with it and it certainly takes pride of place in my collection amongst the blue brigade. It was great to speak with Paul at Spalding and I also bought one of his equally smart MF 6480 tractors before I left for home.

Whilst there I decided the TS110 also deserved a shelf partner and I bought one of Dave Towse's lovely 7740s to sit alongside it.

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

That ain't a bad cabinet at all, surprising what you can pick up in a charity shop these days. The two blue four cylinders look great together  8)

It's pretty sturdy and cost me next to nothing and has given me loads more space to play with, really pleased with it. Thought it was about time I bought some models other than general releases :D well pleased with them both. :)

Perhaps one of my more quirkier interests when it comes to collecting has been with the 1/25 scale Ros tractors. I now have four of them having recently found a Steyr CVT 170 for very little money at one of my regular haunts.

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04555.jpg

DSC04618.jpg

My collection of Claas machines has also increased recently after purchasing a Wiking Axion from Spalding and my first self propelled foragers to appear in my collection in the form of a UH Jaguar and Norscot 880. Not long after I also added the big Siku 960 which is one of the most well made toy/models, Siku have done a great job with this machine.

In recent weeks I was becoming concerned I didn't have enough capacity in my forager fleet so I ended up brokering a good deal for these 4 from Britains. The Case and John Deere are my favourites from these, whilst the pair of New Hollands must have been finished last thing on a friday afternoon and aren't quite as well put together.

DSC04527.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04641.jpg

Whilst at Spalding I also bought a number of the older Ertl 1/32 scale tractors my favourite being the 2wd Ford TW15.

DSC04550.jpg

UH Fordson Power Major has joined my Ertl Super Major and my Dad's battered Britains models.

DSC04558.jpg

On the Case IH front I've added these few machines including a 2294 just like one I had when I was carpet farming in my younger days and also a rather nice Dave Towse 1694 conversion.

DSC04526.jpg

Now I don't mind admitting i'm a big fan of collecting "prairie monsters" and currently have 18 in my fleet including a number of Toy Farmer editions, these four also joined the Case and International line up, Steiger based 4366 is the one i'm most pleased with.

DSC04534.jpg

DSC04535.jpg

Whilst I also bought the Allis Chalmers 7580 another really nice Toy Farmer artic seen over looking it's smaller 1/43 scale brethren.

DSC04538.jpg

Here's my current classic 1/32 John Deere collection, Plow City 8640 and Britains 4020 FWA being the most recent additions.

DSC04530.jpg

Whilst my smaller 1/64 model sits alongside the Siku John Deere Lanz.

DSC04542.jpg

On the "Fergy" front the Toy Farmer 1500 gives my 1505 some company on the shelf, whilst the Britains 2680 is just like the first toy tractor I remember playing with on my carpet farm over twenty years ago. It's joined by another PDC master piece which i'm delighted to have in my collection.

DSC04615.jpg

DSC04614.jpg

Another older un boxed Britains tractor i've added is this Deutz DX110 sat alongside my dualed up DX92 which i've had for a while now which is part of my attempt collect all the Britains tractors I used to have on my original carpet farm as a young lad before they were either sold at carboot sales or broke.

DSC04533.jpg

More modern line up of Siku SDF machines with the most recent addition an Agrotron X720 sat in the background.

DSC04604.jpg

Last few for now from my collection:

Britains Bobcat joins my existing Joal MF skid steer loader.

DSC04608.jpg

Smaller scale plastic Unimog ( I'm assuming it's come out of one of those cheap plastic farm sets) from a car boot scale alongside my old Britains machine.

DSC04543.jpg

My Fendt purchases from Spalding.

DSC04541.jpg

And finally two more older Britains models just like I had when I was younger join existing more modern UH machines.

DSC04540.jpg

DSC04536.jpg

Nice growing collection there David. It's nice that you have some of your dad's old Britain's even though "battered" ;) ;)

Thanks Bill, really enjoying this hobby and adding to my collection, i've a few possible ideas as to which direction I'd like it to take next. Would love to have some more conversions to accompany the run-of-the-mill general releases and still have to find worthy shelf partners for my 1/16 Ertl Ford 7740 and UH County Super 4. National Farm Toy Show Steiger Panther will be an absolute must. :)

Really pleased my Dad un-earthed his old toys too even though they are in a poor state, i'm currently trying to convince him to start a plant/earthmover collection of his own but being the stereotypical tight Yorkshireman that he is, he's yet to officially make a start. But he has taken very keen interest in mine and what goes on on here. :)   

And I though Aberdonians were always classified as being tight fisted David  ;) ;)

Do you guys use a fork instead of a spoon in your sugar bowl ??? ???

I seem to be the only one bucking the trend in my family at the moment Bill :) I was convinced I had a done deal with my Dad when I suggested I would go halves with him on the First Gear Caterpillar D9 and scraper box but i'm still trying to convince him to part with his pennies.  :)

Great collection David and one that I might aspire to owning. I think we might have similar tastes on the collection department as I also have a number of different marques and I an trying to build a time line for each individual manufacturer.

I have just started on the Renault/Claas lineup but then along come these new Unimogs from Weise/FTF and the Chatre show edition and they might just leapfrog to the top of the list :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Great collection David and one that I might aspire to owning. I think we might have similar tastes on the collection department as I also have a number of different marques and I an trying to build a time line for each individual manufacturer.

I have just started on the Renault/Claas lineup but then along come these new Unimogs from Weise/FTF and the Chatre show edition and they might just leapfrog to the top of the list :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Thanks Mike, appreciated. :)

One of my first thoughts when ever I now go to purchase models is if I end up buying a model that doesn't fit into a particular make, scale or theme I have, is what else can I then find to go with it on the shelf? I love mapping my collection out like that, although even I never for once anticipated coming home with four foragers one day, but that's why I enjoy collecting different makes and machines so much.

I've been paying a little bit of attention to my S.D.F collection recently, finally found a Siku Lamborghini R6.110 for very little money to complete that little set and the addition of the standard Siku Agrotron X720 means i'm considering adding the Siku Blackline model and Kommunal versions.

I'm quite keen to continue building up my Renault and Claas collection too. When I was little I had most of the Britains Renaults at some point during my carpet farming days, 145.14, 145.14 with duals, Herdsman, 103.54 and 155.54, I also had a Siku version with a backhoe attached and remember being very close to buying a Siku Nectra version from the Great Yorkshire Show many years ago. As I mentioned earlier whilst at Spalding I began searching for tractors I originally had as a youngster and this is something i'd like to continue to do.

But knowing my buying habits there'll probably lots of other random items to appear before these. :)