The Aughton Valley Collection

Gearing up for Derwent Vale's maize silage campaign "Deere style." I bought these two foragers a couple of years ago in a mad fit of random buying and again decided to give them a dust and take a few photographs of them today. Whilst the Britains 7550i is arguablely the prettier to look at on the shelf the Siku 7500 is definitely much more functional as a toy.

P1110917.jpg

P1110919.jpg

P1110914.jpg

P1110916.jpg

P1110921.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Continuing the John Deere theme and with my goal of replacing the more modern models in my collection i've now added another classic articulated tractor to my green and yellow shelves.

Having seen and photographed a beautifully restored example at Newark on saturday it seemed only appropriate I came home with this 8430 to add to my collection. This is the Britains / Ertl "Collector Edition" that also came with a DVD too. It's another very well crafted Sound Gard cabbed model that's also equipped with a front blade. It's now sat alongside my 8760, 8850, 8640 and 8440 with this type of cab fitted. I'd also like to add the Plow City 8630 and dual wheeled 8440 at some point in the near future.

P1120739.jpg

P1120740.jpg

P1120741.jpg

My other classic purchase at Newark was this "old school" Britains Volvo BM Valmet 805. It now joins my black cabbed Valmet 805 and Universal Hobbies 705. My plan for this theme is to purely focus on the red versions which will include any further older Britains variations I look out for. The most modern tractors I plan to add to this theme is the red version of the Universal Hobbies 6850 and Britains 8750.

P1120742.jpg

P1120743.jpg

P1120744.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was about time I posted some close up photographs of the models I bought from Zwolle. Very pleased with all of my recent purchases and the themes they are now part of in my collection. Again the main focus is on classic era tractors and what better way to start my mini review of them than this little beauty. My G & B Models Roadless 115 that joins a Duncan cabbed 95 I purchased from Spalding in october.

Firstly photographs of a real one I photographed in action at the Festival of the Plough event in 2008.

DSC02446.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

....and the superb looking model that now resides in my collection.

P1130344.jpg

P1130345.jpg

P1130346.jpg

P1130348.jpg

Here's my Stephane Alleaume Fiat 880 2wd conversion. Stephane had a fine array of both modern modified models based largely on the Wiking John Deere and several classics. However it was this smart Replicagri conversion that caught my eye the most. He also had examples of the Chartres Show edition in 2wd form too.

P1130358.jpg

P1130359.jpg

P1130360.jpg

A model i've been after for some time is this limited edition ROS Fiatagri 160-90 DT which fits in nicely with my ever growing collection of terracotta tractors. It's a theme i'm thoroughly enjoying building up.

P1130349.jpg

P1130351.jpg

P1130352.jpg 

As i've mentioned on many occasions i'm a huge fan of articulated tractors and especially look forward to the Toy Farmer editions released each year. This year's model of a Versatile 935 is no exception. It's a very eye catching model, robust and loaded with enough detail to look great lined up in a cabinet or on a shelf.

P1130353.jpg

P1130354.jpg

P1130356.jpg

P1130357.jpg

Continuing the classic and conversion theme to my collecting habits, here's the first model I bought whilst at Zwolle. A Pieter Dijkstra Case International 956XL. It's a really well finished conversion and one of my favourites in my Case IH collection as I begin to replace the more modern models from this theme.

P1130365.jpg

P1130366.jpg

P1130367.jpg

Derwent Vale now has three very fine Massey Ferguson 3095 tractors to call upon from three different custom builders. This example was created by Martyn Reeve and includes a front linkage from the Weise Massey Ferguson 1014. Again i'd dearly love to continue adding to my line up of 3000 series tractors in the future.

P1130361.jpg

P1130362.jpg

P1130364.jpg

Last but not least, "Snoopy power" to the fore! My limited edition International 3588 on duals. Seemingly a model from the plethora of Agritechnica releases that wasn't garnering anywhere near as much attention compared to the modern items such as the Fendt Katana and Claas Lexion 750TT. However given I have two other International "Snoopy" models in my collection this was an absolute must for me. I think it looks really impressive on duals and now joins my Britains standard release 3588 and Toy Farmer edition 3788.

P1130368.jpg

P1130369.jpg

P1130370.jpg

P1130373.jpg

P1130375.jpg

P1130378.jpg

is that just a sticker on your new duals baby then david?? or is it printed the big white one with learning curves address, and the part numberin front of it,

It is indeed just a sticker Sean. Really like this model and i'm pleased they have gone to the trouble of spacing the duals on the tractor. :)

great collection update david

really nice collection of older tractors you are building up.

hope you get back next year and collect the models you missed

i have a kit of hans fiat 44-28 which i will build sometime ;D

Thanks ever so much Richard. I'm really pleased I now have a much clearer goal as to how i'd like to develop my collection almost exclusively around classics and custom builds. I'm enjoying this wonderful hobby so much more as a result. :)

Really hope to be back next year at Zwolle and have plenty of ideas as to what i'd like to further add to my collection and that includes some of Hans's superb models, including the Fiat 44.28. :)

More fab models there David. When ever you post up new pictures of your growing collection,i know they are always worth a look at! & are interesting  :) Love your Roadless & 2wd Fiat 880 convo. ;)

Thanks ever so much Justin. Appreciate your very kind comments regards my collection. I'm definitely planning on further adding to my Roadless and Fiat themes running through my collection. The two models you mention are right up there as some of my favourites in my collection. Thanks again. :)

In light of my Zwolle purchases i've been having a little play around with what's displayed on some of my cabinet shelves and also boxed a lot more modern general releases up to put into storage. Here's some of my favourite themes i'm beginning to build up as I endeavour to replace the more modern machines in my collection.

3000 series Massey Fergusons.

P1130380.jpg

Fiat and Fiatagri tractors.

P1130389.jpg

P1130401.jpg

International and older Case IH tractors.

P1130393.jpg

P1130394.jpg

My small collection of older Fendts.

P1130398.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest additions to Derwent Vale. Technically though they're not mine. My Dad recently retired from a career and life long association with all things tractors and plant machinery due to ill health. He was brought up with Fordson and Ford tractors from an early age before deciding to leave the family farm to operate bulldozers and other heavy plant when he was 17 right up until he was forced to retire at the age of 60. With this in mind I really wanted to buy him something a little bit extra special for Christmas this year.

I'd spoken with model builder / converter / restorer Malcolm Booth at last year's Newark Tractor and Heritage Show and briefly mentioned my Dad still had a couple of very play worn Britains tractors from his own childhood carpet and sandpit farming days lurking in an old icecream tub at home. So knowing full well i'd be attending again this year I took the tractors with me, a Britains Fordson Super Major and Ford 5000, and asked Malcolm to restore them for my Dad for Christmas.

That was just under a month ago and today the tractors arrived through post along with a three furrow plough ( a very nice surprise ) looking their Sunday best again. I'm absolutely smitten with them and Dad is over joyed too, so much so he hasn't stopped reminiscing about them since I unrolled them from their bubble wrapped home. Thanks to Malcolm for making such a great job of restoring them. :)

Starting with the Super Major looking none too pretty in this photograph. Broken steering wheel, rear wing and most of the rear linkage missing........

DSC032141.jpg

...........Now returned to her former glory. The wheels have been given a thorough clean whilst every other part of the tractor has been restored alongs with some new parts.

P1130413.jpg

P1130412.jpg

P1130410.jpg

P1130411.jpg

P1130415.jpg

Whilst here's the 5000 pre restoration, nail for a rear axle, again missing linkage parts and just like the Super Major with very little paint left hanging from it.

DSC045581.jpg

Now looking in fine fettle, fully restored with various new parts including a nice new set of rear wheels and two types of air cleaner included aswell. They both now take pride of place in mine and my Dad's collection. :)

P1130416.jpg

P1130418.jpg

P1130422.jpg

P1130423.jpg

P1130425.jpg

Just been catching up with this topic David and that lineup of 3000 Massey's made my night  ;) 

Thanks ever so much Martin, glad you like them, really good to hear from you too. Very pleased with my miniature fleet of 3000 series tractors, a theme i'd dearly love to continue adding to in the future. All made possible thanks to the forum. :)

Looks like youre dad feels young again when you took the buble rap off these models!

I can understand the feeling he had when you gave him the suprise!

Youre a good son click click David ;)  strange i say it :-[

Thanks Johny. Delighted I was able buy him a present that really means something and put a smile back on his face since he retired. :)

Really good restoration job on those Fords. You and your Dad must be very chuffed!

Absolutely over the moon Richard. Malcolm has done a fantastic job restoring them both, the plough was a really nice surprise too. :)