At Work with Ricky

MODELFARMER

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What livestock did you keep in old times Ricky?

What is the state of farming hens for meat in Ireland?

Livestock Nill. . .  beef for 2 years .  waste of time, some sheep when i was a wee nipper, now nil nout its great ha ha!

hens . . .not great

Interesting Ricky.

I work with a guy from N-Ireland who's farther had a dairy farm near the Redrock Factory(Mc gills).He said it's costly to keep small amounts of livestock and like you say,a waste of time.

I asked a relation of his a few months ago why they don't start growing hens on the farm.(thinking the rain would'nt bother that kind of farming as much)he said the people who own the processing plant for the hens and the supermarkets just turn the demand for hens off and on as it suits them making it bloody hard to know were you stand from one year to the next.

• 7 months later...

Well thought i'd give you's a couple o pictures

At the mill for some beef blend in the 40kmh 6930, She'll be 50Kmh tomorrow  :P :P

15122009047.jpg

15122009045.jpg

15122009044.jpg

15122009043.jpg

This is what John Deere Mechanics get up to in the snow, Pile it on top of the van "laugh out loud" :)

05012010123.jpg

Black 718, Guys who getting this one have 4 of them bought, Crikey

05012010122.jpg

Ah

My 40k auto power, wee chip gettin soldered in, when she hits 40k it overides and tells her to go on to 50k  ;D

Barkleys were leavin in a mower and a loader then to ballymoney with the fendt

The Deere mechanics stuck John deere stickers all inside it and over it before it left i thought was funny

Ah

My 40k auto power, wee chip gettin soldered in, when she hits 40k it overides and tells her to go on to 50k  ;D

Barkleys were leavin in a mower and a loader then to ballymoney with the fendt

The Deere mechanics stuck John deere stickers all inside it and over it before it left i thought was funny

can the dealer not do it from a laptop we have 50k deutzs that where put up to 60k by dealer just plug in the laptop couple of mins and that was it

Sorry sir, I don't think it's physically possible to get 50kph from a power quad and range box

You would need to change the gear sets......

Think the dealer needs to check.

And by the way, it is possible to do it to a autopowr with the right chip...... ;)

would of been handier to buy 50k at the start if you cant put it up thats the good thing about the deutz and fendt you can put them up or back it dont matter 44k thats not bad we had a 8530 that only done38k so you doing allright ricky it doesnt make much difference the only reason we run at 60k as we do a seriuos amount of roadwork at long distances but only the ones on the meal buisness are 60k the arable and contracting are all 50k or 40k

would of been handier to buy 50k at the start if you cant put it up thats the good thing about the deutz and fendt you can put them up or back it dont matter 44k thats not bad we had a 8530 that only done38k so you doing allright ricky it doesnt make much difference the only reason we run at 60k as we do a seriuos amount of roadwork at long distances but only the ones on the meal buisness are 60k the arable and contracting are all 50k or 40k

What is the problem with that? I bet that was was behind it wasnt equipped to do much more....

Seems crazy that every one want's to go faster and faster but no one seems to think about the trailers....

Think we all need to look at the topic with the crashed massey again.

Sorry, rant over...  :-X

What is the problem with that? I bet that was was behind it wasnt equipped to do much more....

Seems crazy that every one want's to go faster and faster but no one seems to think about the trailers....

Think we all need to look at the topic with the crashed massey again.

Sorry, rant over...  :-X

sure if your contracting you want to get from place to place in a hurry. its all down to the pilot that wraps the tractor round a strainer mind.

obviously higher speeds is more risk, the contractors jaguar does 42k and when i got told to give her the death she is some handling to keep her on the road  :of

Exactly Iain, the forager we run does 30k at a push. When it met one coming the other way at 40k it's pilot nearly had a heart attack leaving it 'till the last minute to pull the stick back, therefore sending the weight of the header in a downward direction and the rear wheels in an upward direction!!

Speed is great for time/distance but it means sweet FA if you've muppets at the wheel and badly matched machinery. This country is a million miles behind the continentals in terms of trailer/hitch/breaks/weights etc.

Anyway, Ricky please do resume your topic now that us preachers have said our piece!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Apart from it being your flagship tractor, does it do more work where it's speed is important for the job/cost etc?

well... being a responsible tractor owner/driver myself I'm with Jez on this one... you only have to put your hands on the tyres of my trailers after a long journey at 41k to feel how much heat they build up in them.  Not to mention the lack of braking efficiency that hydraulic brakes gives.  I'd say the brakes on my Bailey are superb - they are too sharp when it's empty and can skid the wheels... but with a full load on the tractor/trailer combination takes some stopping at 40k I can tell you.

I drove an airbraked 7480/trailer combination on MF's French ride and drive day and the difference was incredible - it soon makes you realise how inadequate hydraulic brakes are at high speed.  40k is an ample road speed if you've got a conventional trailer.  If you want the pleasure of 50k then you MUST upgrade your trailers to the right spec too I say  :-\

The other thing I would add is that it's very easy in a modern tractor to become 'remote' from what you are doing, and what's going on behind you.  With the windows closed on your cab and the radio on it's easy to 'loose touch' with what's going on around you.  I always drive off with the back window open on a road trip... I like to listen out for strange or alien noises for a few miles... just to make sure all is well.  Another piece of good practice is to start your engine with the door open too - I watched a bloke start a (VERY Large) John Deere the other day... is must have been 10 seconds of no oil pressure while the engine was coming to life and the chap was sat in his cab trying to squeeze as many revs out of it as he could.. He clearly couldn't hear the difference between an engine on it's knees and one that's warm and ready to go - I put this down to him having the cab door closed !