Front axle for rowcrop conversion?

CMB

Question

I'm trying to make a rowcrop tractor from an old Fiat 880 halftrack.

I've removed the little chunky tyres from the original in the hope of replacing them with the old ribbed 2wd tyres, or something similar, but none have so far fit the original Fiat axle. It seems to be the same telescopic axle type as you find on all the old Britains Fords and Masseys; all were made in the 'narrow' position (I thought it might look better having them the same width as the rear tyres).

What is the best axle with an 'extended beam'? The axle on the modern Ford 5000 looks about right but doesn't seem to be attached to the main casting with a pin, as many of ther old Britains front axles are.

The MB trac front looks about right but I don't want to pull mine apart to find out :-\

5 answers to this question

jd 4020 front axel with ford 5000 front wheels fitted, just need to sand the ford hubs out slightly and job done, have them on my 6600 loader if you need pics, track width works well on the fiat chassis to, tried the axel on one of my spare chassis when pondering a 880dt convo 

Just looking at your convo pics; that looks the business Sean. The 4020 is such a nice tractor though I wouldn't want to tear it up!

Hm looks like I'll have to split the fiat to get the front axle out  >:(

Just looking at your convo pics; that looks the business Sean. The 4020 is such a nice tractor though I wouldn't want to tear it up!

Hm looks like I'll have to split the fiat to get the front axle out  >:(

You can buy a 4020 for about £12-14, the Fiat Halftrack is worth £50+ and you want to cut it up  :o :o :o :o

You can buy a 4020 for about £12-14, the Fiat Halftrack is worth £50+ and you want to cut it up  :o :o :o :o

No, both of mine have lost their tracks. I'll take my chance on the 4020..