My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here some pics Mr softie didn't have, sadly I didn't get close up pics of Brian's (bor) Rolland converted trailer, it really looked good too

DSC_1965_zps2065cd8f.jpg

DSC_1964_zps95dc3ab6.jpg

here a trailer that Brian told me he made about 4 years ago, with some of Barry's great boxes on it too

DSC_1956_zps592223b1.jpg

DSC_1957_zpsbc8fb149.jpg

a front weight will be fitted and the number plates sorted to complete this model, i just didnt like the original wheels and am now much happier with these.. I see 2 types of front rim were fitted to the 7810 and upon looking them up i found the later 2002 examples were fitted with this type of front rim which came from a mf 7499 but needed the centre adjusted slightly, back rims are now a mixture of mf7499 and 7810 original centres as i wanted to retain these.....

building is currently underway on a batch of NEW HOLLAND 717 SUPER forage harvester models.... If anyone should happen to want a NEW HOLLAND 719 or 819 then now is the time to let me know as a small limited batch of them will be beginning immediately after my current builds. The 719/819 models will be started at the end of december and i will never be repeating either the 717 or the 719/819 builds again in model form.

work is now moving along on the NEW HOLLAND 717 machines, these machines hold special memories for me as a dairy and potato farmer i used to occasionally work for had a 717 super on a MF 1155 and id be drawing away with a MF 595 and 12 ton wooton trailer, the thunder of the perkins V8 bouncing off the trailer as i drove alongside was ear piercing unless all the windows were closed. Ive spent the last 3weeks making parts for these foragers and there is a hell of a lot of parts on a forager to make, but then i find when the parts are made the putting together can be much faster as long as attention to detail is paid along the way and all parts fit as they should.the pick up reels will be the last part to be built and models such as this with 2 different colours do require more time building up afterwards as many parts are sprayed individually. Every new model forager i build is different in many ways to the last one and i certainly encounter many new problems along the way but also learn a lot which could help me in future builds, i dont work to deadlines on models as i find you have to give each and every build the time it requires and demands if you are to get it right in the end

work is now moving along on the NEW HOLLAND 717 machines, these machines hold special memories for me as a dairy and potato farmer i used to occasionally work for had a 717 super on a MF 1155 and id be drawing away with a MF 595 and 12 ton wooton trailer, the thunder of the perkins V8 bouncing off the trailer as i drove alongside was ear piercing unless all the windows were closed. Ive spent the last 3weeks making parts for these foragers and there is a hell of a lot of parts on a forager to make, but then i find when the parts are made the putting together can be much faster as long as attention to detail is paid along the way and all parts fit as they should.the pick up reels will be the last part to be built and models such as this with 2 different colours do require more time building up afterwards as many parts are sprayed individually. Every new model forager i build is different in many ways to the last one and i certainly encounter many new problems along the way but also learn a lot which could help me in future builds, i dont work to deadlines on models as i find you have to give each and every build the time it requires and demands if you are to get it right in the end

Bit like real life hey Brian, between manufactures updating there designs and farmers who change things themselves or spec abit of kit with an add on of some sort there are often small changes in real ones kit as well. Must be hard for model making company's to measure up and copy a real one to make into a model with so many differences in the real versions. I look forward to these choppers coming to life, kiwis never got into pull type choppers realy so it's nice to see them made.

• 3 weeks later...

The machine has been studied now for some months to familiarise myself with it, very soon a visit will hopefully be arranged and id estimate spending some 4 hours picturing and measuring each individual section, some help will be obtained along the way with research and it is without doubt going to be my most challenging project to date. The amount of framework in such a machine is vast and during my entire build im going to have to make sure the sections will be made in such a way that it will all join together after painting which is a mighty tricky thing to have to maintain to the end. Many new materials will have to be found for the various stages of the model and some very fine engineering indeed will be required in the making of the parts...Be a bit like one Egyptian setting out to build a pyramid..

The machine has been studied now for some months to familiarise myself with it, very soon a visit will hopefully be arranged and id estimate spending some 4 hours picturing and measuring each individual section, some help will be obtained along the way with research and it is without doubt going to be my most challenging project to date. The amount of framework in such a machine is vast and during my entire build im going to have to make sure the sections will be made in such a way that it will all join together after painting which is a mighty tricky thing to have to maintain to the end. Many new materials will have to be found for the various stages of the model and some very fine engineering indeed will be required in the making of the parts...Be a bit like one Egyptian setting out to build a pyramid..

Best of luck with that one Brian,as you say painting will be tricky,to say the very least,some of these tumble drier lint filters might be just the job for webbing etc, http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=filter+screen&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xfilter+lint&_nkw=filter+lint&_sacat=0

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe, and there will be a few small items that i will need to get cast for this model so if anyone knows where i can get a few items cast then thank you and let me know. My particular type of model building means i rarely need any casting done and i think to date ive only ever had 2 items cast and these will be the third, some 90% of the grader model will be all brass so im in my comfort zone there but there is a  couple of small items on the grader that feature a few times like the electric motors for example......

Archived