My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

Must agree with Sean, casting is a lot of fun and a great skill to add to your tool bench, I started a guide a while ago and have kept saying I must finish it. there's a company in Northern Ireland , MB fibre glass I believe, that sell RTV silicone for mould making and the resin to cast with, even a rubber is available, conveyer belts could even be cast for your model. Good luck with it anyway, looks like a very satisfying build to get your head round and make

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im currently compliling my 2014 list of potential model builds and where possible i contact the real machine manufacturers to let them know and also to ask for information on the particular machine in mind, many have been very helpful and im currently in contact with a few of the manufacturers who are proving very helpful to me...However im also very dissapointed at one company who were absolutely no help at all, i contacted them to let them know im considering replicating a few of their machines in 2014 and asked for a parts manual for one of the machines and that was where it ended, now if i really wanted that manual i could get it as any owner of the machine should have the manual also but instead ive decided to abandon their machines and move on with other manufacturers instead who will be helpful as ive now wasted enough time with them, so any customers ever wanting any STANDEN products built im afraid i wont be covering any of their machines.

I have found from previous builds that its nice to have a companys enthuiasm behind you in the build, not even for a sale but just see,ing the machine they produce in actual model form, one of my PATTERSON bedtiller models went to the maker of the real machine and it was immensely pleasing to see the look on his face when i gave it to him. I would like to include more UK built machines such as the previous VEG PACKER model for example. But its invaluable to have the help of the company during the build and i hope that through forums and shows etc that companies will recognize that model collecting is a huge thing and that people want to see machines that perhaps they manufacture in model form. The very base of any model build is information and an understanding of the machine you,re replicating, where better could you get the correct info than the manufacturers? Some may of course be wary that it could end up in the wrong hands but my personal intentions are all good and its solely for my own use only and only to assist me in my builds.....

I can understand your annoyance towards some manufacturers Brian but don't forget they probably get these emails on a weekly? basis from people wanting this or that for a model so I can expect them not to be overly enthusiastic. It's also a matter of knowing the right people in the right position I think. It greatly helps if you find someone that appreciates the business. Maybe including photographs of previous builds in your request might help to show you're not just any amateur?

Odd and shameful you had such a poor response from Standen. Have spoken them on various occasions and always found them very helpful. Quite the opposite of what Barry said. Service for our Standen potato harvester is much better than we previously received from Grimme. However, the fact they are kind and helpful probably has a lot to do with the machine that we run!

strangely i did send them my website details to view previous potato kit ive made but nothing from them... i can of course understand that companies do probably receive a lot of similar emails to the one i sent them but it left me waiting for a response that never came and i was planning my 2014 models and decided id only include Standen if they would help regarding a small amount of information on 1 only machine, the other machines i had in mind from them i wouldnt have needed anything from them. A workshop manual or parts manual on the particular machine was all ive have needed, but i also had other manufacturers in mind for 2014 and this time proving more helpful, we cant of course twist peoples arm into providing information but some enthuiasm would certainly be nice...

that's interesting , as when marky ,lord ferguson on here, went to standen for info etc on something ,he spent a good week in the factory / offices going through archives pics ,plans all sorts, and said they couldn't have been any more helpful ,maybe they already have something in the pipeline?? or its just a case of getting flooded by so many people like neils said

its all about getting to the right person ,a few years ago i asked a jcb sales rep for info and recieved unlimited help,he is now an area sales manger,and is allways interested in my convos and purchases wether its jcb or not,allways keeps in contact,so back to my first point ,get in contact with the right person

that's interesting , as when marky ,lord ferguson on here, went to standen for info etc on something ,he spent a good week in the factory / offices going through archives pics ,plans all sorts, and said they couldn't have been any more helpful ,maybe they already have something in the pipeline?? or its just a case of getting flooded by so many people like neils said

That's true indeed Sean... although it was only 3 days from memory... I suspect you've been filed in the 'junk mail' folder Brian. My advice is to ring their MD - Owen Blake... he really is one of the most genuine guys you'd ever meet... probably about my age and worked there from leaving school (started as a boy in the accounts dept. so he told me) .. they are not a huge company and Owen is very passionate about the Standen Brand ... They have all the original plans for every machine they have produced in their dedicated engineering drawing department. Try one more time by picking up the phone and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I get piddled off with email.. I'm sure most of us are the same. You'll not get to speak to their Chairman Mr Andy Bone... but he was once a VERY big noise within Massey Ferguson UK. I scanned their entire image archive for them a couple of years or so atop now which is pretty comprehensive to say the least. Peter Standen was a keen photographer thankfully.

Thanks for all the replies..It was a chap named Richard Holmes i contacted. I didnt know who to contact and was dissapointed at the response. What i was after really shouldnt have been a problem but its kinda turned me off replicating their machines....

Thanks for all the replies..It was a chap named Richard Holmes i contacted. I didnt know who to contact and was dissapointed at the response. What i was after really shouldnt have been a problem but its kinda turned me off replicating their machines....

My pleasure BOR... I was asked to point you in the right direction by Stan on facebook last night... just doing my duty... at least you know who to contact now, should you change your mind in the future of course, hey fella ;)

As another year draws to a close i reflect upon my many many hours in the workshop in the evenings and weekends battling my way through some complex building, some were a pleasure and some were frustrating and at times i regretted even starting them, but in the end they were completed and always worth the effort..I have my 2014 list compiled and it takes me many months to do this because i must base model building around 

1) my spare time as i have a 5 day week day job

2) be sure to choose machines that if necessary can be located relatively locally for reference, and failing this direct help from the manufacturer

3) choose at least a few models that id like myself as after all i am a model collector with a passion for unobtainable models

4) work any 2014 models around my biggest challenge to date which is number one on my 2014 list below

5) i must have all real machines studied months beforehand to suitably work out the time and materials involved so a price can be reached for each build before listing it as a definate build

My policy in 2014 is as before, ALL MODEL BUILDS MUST BE PAID FOR PRIOR TO BUILDING   This is the only system that works for me as a part time builder as my day job doesnt allow for purchasing expensive materials such as brass and etchings for my projects..

VALLEY MODELS 2014

1)          TONG PEAL CARETAKER 1800 MOBILE GRADER     (this will be my biggest project to date and will consume a huge amount of my model building time in 2014)

2)          DEUTZ-FAHR KM22 DRUM MOWER

3)          GEORGE MOATE TILLERSTAR ( single bed version only)

4)          HOWARD ROTAVATORS    the model currently available on the market  ( a limited number only will be built)

5)          JOHN DEERE 342A CONVENTIONAL BALER

6)         MASSEY FERGUSON 10 CONVENTIONAL BALER

7)         WELGER AP630 CONVENTIONAL BALER

8)        DEUTZ-FAHR FH900 PRECISION CHOP FORAGER   (only if time allows and demand)

Archived