My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

Blue man the first scratchbuilt model i ever made was when i was ten years old and at primary school, it frustrated me that i couldnt have half ton potato boxes like the farmers used all around me so i simply made them by joining together 4 pieces of lego but i made a box tipper to actually tip them and this fitted on the britains loader which was fitted to a britains mf590, it was impressive at the time as all my mates who had model potato set ups were simply using the britains sacks and never progressed to boxes,as a counterweight on the back of the 590 i had a set of adapted britains forks and a half ton box for weight. id now like to copy that from 30 years ago using a modified UH Mf 590 to a 2wd version and a 80 loader and a proper tong or similar type half ton box tipper and i think i will some day do this, a 30 year newer verison with much more experience under my belt but also a much better selection of donors and materials to use........watch this space......i could quite happily spend the rest of my days building my own models if i were to win the lotto, id certainly never be bored with constant new builds as id would be one of each only, and there such a range of machinery id still like to have in model form that itll probably take the rest of my days to get through them all.....

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

brian ild love to see what tool you mainly use on.your models to get that high quality but im guessing it would be metal work files fine ones at that and im.guessing u use allot of brass instead of plasticard ? actualy wots ur workshop set up like you have inspired lots of us on.here to get the quality u achieve

my tools are actually quite simple.. A 4inch gringer with cutting blades, an ordinary electric drill and then just pointy pliers and a very wide range of files, for soldering i simply use a soldering iron of 15watt and 25 for the heavier brass, disposable knives are a thing i go through a lot off, for building models together after painting just tweezers so theres nothing i use that cant be found in a hardware store. I have a small room inside my main garage and this is where all my building is done and also the painting, boxes and boxes of broken and donor models and i always find that nothing should be thrown out as one day you,ll be looking for that one item that you thought you,d never need...a basic range of tools id describe it as. i go through a lot of small drill bits and also files as filing down soldered joints quickly clogs up files and thats about it i think

Brian more cracking work, if you don't mind me asking though, what fuels you to build models? I understand you want to make what isn't available and that you enjoy the puzzle of creating a model but you never seem to have as much joy in completing a model as the annoyance at late nights building to deadlines and items not working out exactly along with painstaking hours of measuring up machines and getting in touch with owners of machines add up too in negatives. Personally I find enjoyment in seeing a model grow from nothing to an item that represents something like what I set out to make so what makes all the problems and late nights work worthwhile for you? I only ask as every time you make a model you mention the problems your having in making it, then show this immaculate finnished model that you don't seem to happy or proud to have made while most of us would be extremely happy and dare I say boastful about making this top standard model. I look forward to seeing your models in 2014 and the coming years.

James

it is a lifetime hobby for me, i do of course enjoy immensely the end product but every time i look at a finished model i get flashbacks of the individual problems i encountered during it..When i decide to build a particular model it begins firstly with a vision in my head, ill know what itll look like completed and i know what parts i have to replicate that move, some cant be done but a lot can. From that point onwards its a long journey through making all the parts and then making them all fit and work together, but when its complete my aim is for it to match the picture in my head i initially started out with so from the beginning i have my standards set to do the best possible job i can on each build..I think to fully enjoy the work i do id need to be very wealthy and not depend on selling anything and this way all my builds could remain with me and one day id walk around an entire room of custom builds that i could enjoy, but the realities of life are that i do need model building as a part time job and as a lifelong collector i hate to see any of my builds leaving here but i cant keep them all..What truely fuels me is my lifelong interest in farm machinery and the fact that during every build i learn about every machine im making through studying it and how it works and also speaking to the owner or operator and i find it very interesting to hear about each machines performance and good and bad points, and its nice to have a model that i remember from years ago that hold fond memories for me, i do like to be honest and point out after a build if it has been enjoyable or a headache and hopefully this either eduactes others who are thinking of building the same item or to get them ready for what they face. Its never easy replicating a machine in model form but all my hobbies involve machinery, whether it be vintage rallies, reading literature, visiting dealers or being on the forum, its all machinery related so i put my knowledge that i read and learn into action by model building and bringing to life the pictures in my head...The end product is always pleasing whether it was a pleasure or a nightmare to make and when it joins my collection im always glad i had a go at making it....A model that was a total pleasure to make was the Grimme destoner, although it wasnt easy i really enjoyed the making of it and was very proud when they were complete...

my tools are actually quite simple.. A 4inch gringer with cutting blades, an ordinary electric drill and then just pointy pliers and a very wide range of files, for soldering i simply use a soldering iron of 15watt and 25 for the heavier brass, disposable knives are a thing i go through a lot off, for building models together after painting just tweezers so theres nothing i use that cant be found in a hardware store. I have a small room inside my main garage and this is where all my building is done and also the painting, boxes and boxes of broken and donor models and i always find that nothing should be thrown out as one day you,ll be looking for that one item that you thought you,d never need...a basic range of tools id describe it as. i go through a lot of small drill bits and also files as filing down soldered joints quickly clogs up files and thats about it i think

I think this is typical for highly skilled builders like yourself Brian. I know a few and they all have just a few simple tools. The models are build from pure genius and good skills. A dear friend of mine is, dare I say, up to your standard (also uses brass and alloy mainly) and he has similar tools, nothing fancy. Not even models to break for spares all is made apart from the rubber tyres. Yet, he produces some fantastic models with detail beyond belief. These days you can pack a shed with 3D printing technology, Auto CAD drawings, lathes etc etc but that doesn't make you a good builder does it? I doubt those people enjoy the hobby any more than anyone else yet they have a shed full of very expensive equipment.

I think il concerntrate on doing tractors that arnt available  and maybe purchase one or two of your works of art as and when they get available to buy from ur good self

ild love to see a ransomes potatoe elevator digger and maybe a wilde potato topper again its machinery I used or was around when I was allot younger brian  but il be

getting a shopping list together in 2 weeks time to complete one of my alltime fav model builds but i wont show it till its imber or marge quality your standards mate ;)

just in and about to shower before i retire for the night after a model building shift from 7pm until 1.30, its been this time last night too, i mentioned before about time, sometimes id hardly notice a few hours slipping by. As i build my models in batches i always like to carry them through at the same stage, at the minute im working on 5 Howard rotavators and the particular stage i was at tonight took 1.5 hours per model, it was making and fitting the gearbox drive housings and making and fitting the arms to which the depth wheels are fitted to, these had to be made from brass and they were painfully slow to work at, ive had hated to have faced another tommorrow evening so instead i decided to take all 5 models to the same stage. I think this is what keeps me in the workshop so late at night, i more or less live out there..

A caretaker has been tracked down some 4 hours from me so a visit has been arranged with the owner for next saturday, there will be a lot to take in on this visit and it will be the only visit as its so far away so id better be tuned into what im doing as every single part is important in my build

DSCF1873_zps00e1aabb.jpg

The current situation here at Valley models is the building of 3 x DEUTZ FAHR FH900 foragers..Im now about halfway through the builds and again it was trail and error to get the bodies just right,a few mistakes and corrections have been made and now there beginning to look like the real thing and im quite excited about the end product, im keeping one and hope there,ll be a nice deutz DX tractor to display it with in time, maybe a dx 140.......I have a FH900 available for sale....The calm before the storm as the Tong Peal graders will now tie me up for some months....

What a joy it is to see your work  on here  thats for sure :)      i can t open a pot of glue with out getting in trouble with it  , in my  real farm life i did use the  howard  years ago so nice to see it here on here so well made   & well done  mate

Archived