My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes they are a mobile grader, there are at least 3 of these machines in Ireland and are all owned by relatively large potato growers, im not sure how many in England Scotland or Wales. The machine i went to measure was 3 hours from where i live and it took me 5 hours getting around every single part of it with a measuring tape, i arrived home with 30 A4 pages of sketches and measurements and some 110 photographs,i spent some time studying the dimensions and pictures before commencing with the model builds. I still work full time from monday to friday 8am - 5.30 every day and it was a huge commitment to take on such a project and work it in around whatever spare time i have in the evenings and at weekends but i knew it would make an interesting model and i do enjoy a challenge from time to time but its probably a project that would have suited a full time model builder better but its done now and im glad i had the opportunity to learn so much about this fascinating machine..

Thank you.. The one huge tip ive relearned during this build is that you must really be tuned in when you,re visiting the real machine. Make sure you see everything and more importantly understand everything as this will give you a clear view of what you must do to make it work as a model. It took me 5 hours to measure and understand this machine and every one of my jotted down dimensions and plans were all crucial during the build, i had 100 photographs pinned up on my workshop wall that i constantly referred to and there was no guess work at all. Although this may seem like a huge challenge ive learned to mentally break any machine down into sections and this is after all how it was built in the factory, things never seem so complicated if you,re working on one section at a time but theres no avoiding the forward thinking of how it,ll work with the previously built part its fitting against or into. I done my studying during the day on teabreaks and then i had a clearer view of my evenings work on the model, i did also know that this was going to be a very time consuming project from the start and you must give these things the time they deserve, never ever try and rush a model build or there will be regrets later. I like to encourage younger members to try and build there own stuff, never be under the illusion that you need loads of tools or gear to model build, i still use my 4inch grinder, normal electric drill, dremel and a normal soldering iron, the time is of course the major factor in most model builds and to deal with this you must have patience and lots of it, id rather see people attempting there own builds and learning from them what they can improve on next time, im still learning and for that reason i believe there is no such thing as an expert builder, you learn a lot in every build which gives you the confidence to start the next, if you gain confidence in yourself then basically anything can be possible...

I've no pics in transport mode. I'm currently building 6x TAARUP DC 1500 double chops and in 2 weeks I'm beginning a few DEUTZ FAHR KM22 mowers. It's nice to get at a few less complicated projects after the huge grader builds. It'll be next year before I begin more major challenges and they have already been decided on, more on this on due course. Catching on on a few previously ordered models will take me up to 2015, a new year with new models is the plan, there is still so many models I'd like to get to

I've a few model builds to get completed before Christmas namely TAARUP double chop forage harvesters ( 2x available to buy) and DEUTZ-FAHR KM22 mowers (1 available to buy) and I'm now pondering over a few big projects for 2015 and high on the list is MASSEY FERGUSON 711 potato harvester and SCANSTONE de stoner, both of these will be complex builds in their own right and if anyone would desire such items then please get in touch as I'll be getting limited numbers finalised for both now very soon

Very often I get asked to repeat previously built items and I'm not keen on doing this as I prefer to be moving on with new projects, the current batch of TAARUP double chop forage harvesters will be the last batch I ever do, I have built 5 individual batches of them and due to the awkward shaping of the main bodies and time involved in them I have decided that there will never be any more batches of them, I enjoy the challenges of new projects and find things just get repetitive and boring if working continuously on previously covered machines. I only model build part time and intend keeping it this way as the income from model building is extremely unreliable and I need a steady wage to pay bills which can only be obtained from a full time job with a steady weekly income. I simply turn away projects that I'm not interested in and try to build small limited batches of any chosen machine, normally I take on projects if it's something I'd be interested in keeping one off to add to my own collection. This brings the hobby side of things back for me as it's important to remember why I began model building and that was because the models I desired were and still are unavailable to buy and probably always will be

With my current batch of TAARUP double chop builds coming to near an end I'll be building 3x DEUTZ FAHR KM22 mowers, due to a cancellation there will be one of these for sale, a few one off builds are awaiting to begin which will probably take me up to Christmas, I've a lot of potential 2015 builds rattling around in my head to be decided upon and as always I'll probably find myself hoping there was more months in the year to fit them all in! Every year brings new possibilities and hopefully a few new models for my own unique collection and that's the bit I look forward to most

My remaining DEUTZ FAHR mower is now sold. The batch of TAARUP double chops were painted last night so will now be built up for completion so it's a clean workbench again now for the next builds. A few one offs will have to now get attention before work begins on another batch of something.

Archived