My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

legs are movable via the ram, for a small model theres a lot of moving parts, just the guides to finish off now which will also involve a lot of work as they too fold back halfway up for transport.

post-1667-0-46235400-1423938019_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-04880900-1423938073_thumb.jp

I hope to get them finished this week but the decals will be a week or two as a sample background colour will have to be sent to the decal maker to match his colour from and im only getting the paint mixed now from a paint code supplied from Scanstone themselves who have been most helpful so far.

post-1667-0-49973800-1423938227_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-30004400-1423938271_thumb.jp

Thanks lads.... Im now selling this fertiliser unit as Valley Farms is now increasing its potato acreage and will be investing in a new planter possibly a 3 row and will probably be going fan assisted next time around.

post-1667-0-47351200-1424200032_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-79136200-1424200060_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-20869600-1424200081_thumb.jp

No pics of the models yet, I'm building 6 of them and the builds are about halfway through, the picture is the real one I've based my models upon, the cm165 had a very long production period of over 25 years and maybe more.

thanks Jamie, there certainly was a hell of lot of engineering during the ridger builds.  A very complex little model to make but one is for myself and that always gives me the push to struggle through difficulties.

• 2 weeks later...

A pic first of the wheel option set up on a KUHN EL162 then the model, a crumbles would be no good for a potato set up as the rotavators main role would be breaking up the top 2-3 inches of grassland in front of the plough, preparing the seedbed would be left to the bed tiller

post-1667-0-30884900-1425886132_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-17160900-1425886221_thumb.jp

Both rotavators will be used on my model farm for breaking up grassland in front of the plough. The reason for a 120" and a 160" version is in case the bed tiller ever let's us down then the 120" rotavator could be used to Create a seedbed in front of the planter. To work a 120 or 160" rotavator for breaking the ground in front of the plough would require only around 130 hp but for working a 10-13 inch seedbed in front of a planter would require around 150 go for the 120" and 200 hp at least for the 160". The seedbed in front a planter should be deep tilled and gets well aired on its way through the machine, this is important and is achieved by a nice slow forward speed and a fast rotor but must remain as it leaves the machine and not passed through a crumbler as this would consolidate the bed thus making it harder for the planter to pass through, so the crumbler has no place on a potato farm

I'm not familiar with such machines to be honest, but I'm sure they could be done. I have last night painted the 6x PZ 165 mowers and these are now awaiting decals. Like many other builds I thought they,d be simple enough to make but a few difficulties arose into the builds, all models have there own tricky bits along the way I find. I'll soon be deciding upon my next batch of models to make.

people call them vine toppers others just call the root/potato toppers brian I always know them as vine toppers ha ha! just a topper that topps

the folage of the potato rows before the potato harvester lifts the crop (if that aint got a integrated topper )

I remember just before dad quite the potatoes back in 93' being on a farm were he was looking at a duko sp harvester and they had converted an old single or double chop harvester to chop the potatoe foliage seemed a great job too

I like your modern kit very much but do you think you'll make an older diorama of the 80s-90s any time? I'd love to see that as I've no photos of dad at the potatoes and only a few memories of it as I was only young back then

I too would like an older potato set up, half ton boxes and the box tipper and a few small potato diggers like ransomes or newlands type, and some britains figures bent down gathering potatoes, I worked at potatoes this way for years, harvesters started to appear more round here in the early to mid nineties and the reekie clean flow 2000 was the harvester of choice

Archived