My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too would like an older potato set up, half ton boxes and the box tipper and a few small potato diggers like ransomes or newlands type, and some britains figures bent down gathering potatoes, I worked at potatoes this way for years, harvesters started to appear more round here in the early to mid nineties and the reekie clean flow 2000 was the harvester of choice

I can only remember him working at the ton boxes, but he made a box tipper him self, and had a fraser forklift on the 8011 in the field to load the boxes on the trailer, the juko wasn't a great machine he only kept it for a year then sold it and went to the cattle for couldn't get gatherers and wasn't work investing to bring it up to the modern era, but he did near 100 acres a year like that with a 454 and potatoes spinner, how times have changed

Work will commence on the JOHN DEERE balers soon, the 342a will be done and then the model that replaced it which is either the 359 or 459, I'll have to double check which exact model it was that replaced the 342a as all dimensions will be the same. I've a few models I'll be posting up completed pics of very soon, the 6x PZ CM165 mowers and the tricky to make SCANDTONE 2 row bed maker

In this picture the headstock is turned round to the cutting position, the pto shaft also comes from the "parked" position and now ready to attach to tractor. I have only one mower left from the batch for sale and like many other builds I wont be making any more than this batch of 6

post-1667-0-30465700-1426894184_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

And now for something very different and unique. A one off model for a customer and a very tricky thing to build due to so many lugs being attached. Im not saying just yet what it is but a few weeks should see it completed, this was a very hard model to work out and its far from finished yet..

post-1667-0-45329100-1427752995_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-02608300-1427753047_thumb.jp

Thanks....Neils its not a planter unfortunately because if it was itd be for myself, having sold my Grimme GL32b im now going to have to make a replacement and am currently deciding between 2 that ive narrowed it down to. I sometimes find it difficult fitting in my own stuff as orders came first but now thatim not taking on as much im getting a bit more for my own collection

A couple of pics of the new sprayer on the estate where I work, the 7530 will now be the spraying tractor, it's just got a new set of front tyres and I'm glad it's staying with us because it's been such an excellent tractor,a really good all round nimble yet powerful tractor with a great gearbox, getting off the TM190 onto the 7530 is like day and night, the 190 has a terribly bad gearbox compared to the smooth auto power in the JD. There is also a 6210r and a 7280r but in my opinion neither are the machine of the 7530. Very soon the 7280 is going and it's looking like a Fendt will be replacing it.

post-1667-0-54768600-1428044311_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-15225400-1428044347_thumb.jp

I also prefer the smaller doors on the 7530 compared to the 6210s panoramic huge doors which can be hard to handle in high winds, and although there's more room in the R cab i still prefer having the 7530 cab due to the side opening windows to keep comfortably cool. The 6210 also has a notably short wheelbase making it bouncy when loaded on the road, 7530 has a wheelbase which is just right, JD had a hard act to follow after the 7810 and although the 7530 wasnt it's direct replacement it's definetly deserving of the same respect the 7810 got.

My next model project which is starting soon is a batch of JD BALERS, namely the 342A and it's later replacement which I think was the 359 but I'll be checking this upon commencement. The batch will consist of 5x balers which have now been spoken for and one will be staying with me. Ill very soon have all the info i need for the build, new project with new problems no doubt but that's all part of the challenge in model building, and to be always learning keeps it interesting

I also prefer the smaller doors on the 7530 compared to the 6210s panoramic huge doors which can be hard to handle in high winds, and although there's more room in the R cab i still prefer having the 7530 cab due to the side opening windows to keep comfortably cool. The 6210 also has a notably short wheelbase making it bouncy when loaded on the road, 7530 has a wheelbase which is just right, JD had a hard act to follow after the 7810 and although the 7530 wasnt it's direct replacement it's definetly deserving of the same respect the 7810 got.

couldn't agree more about the cabs. I prefer the tech centre cabs that are on our 6920 and 6830, I like the side windows open occasionaly to let some fresh air in. The 6125r and 6150r we have are, as you say, very roomy but unless you have the rear window unlatched, the door does don't close first time all of the time. Our deere rep says it's because the doors are so big that it hasn't got an outlet for the volume of air that is being moved . If you leave the rear window unlatched on an r series and slam the door shut, the rear window pops open. Like the new sprayer, nice compact booms when folded up to keep it out of the hedges.

I'm suprised at whats you's say about the cabs I actually bought a NH over a 30series because I found the jd cab way too cramped for me, I'm 6'2 and wouldnt find it nice for a day's work, love the bigger airer Nh cab and imagine the r series similar, the sunroof option I thought would be as good as side opening windows??

The 6210 here doesn't have the sunroof which would have been a great addition, there's no sunroof on the 7280 either, the running costs on the TM have been sky high in its 6 years here, gearbox problems since day one and recently £1300 spent on brakes and there still not right yet. Many may not know that the power command gearbox needs 5hp for every clutch pack and there's 7 of them, so 45 hp can be absorbed by them alone, new tractor power isn't the same as classic hp, there's so much consuming power on modern tractors that weren't there years ago, an older 100 go tractor has much more useable power than there modern equivalents and this is often noticeable when pulling a load, it makes new tractors seem dead compared to classics, I used to enjoy the "raw" power which now seems to be disappearing. On that note the 7530 is a lovely sounding tractor when working and this sound has gone with the 6210, I've actually seen the 7530 outgripping the 6210 even though it's tyres were down on grip more

I here a lot of people saying that about power command it's what I have in my 6080 and think it's a lot if an improvement over the range command, I don't care about a lot of power as an owner driver I don't push too hard. Its nice to hear good things about the 7539 had only heard negative before. Why's the 7280 going? I thought it would be a pure animal!! Do you find the r series more refined? It's suprisibg what the difference a cab makes the tm and t nh are basically the same tractor but were I hate the tm with an almighty passion the t series are one of my modern favourites. I grew up on zetors with crash gearboxes and pure raw power I'll agree they're something on there own.. but I wouldn't thank you for one to use every day, a day in on would kill me, I'm not sure if I'm getting old or my iffy health but I like my comforts

I've heard few complaints about the range command as opposed to the many dislikes of power command, I've heard the T series were much improved over the TM. The R series deeres are more refined in areas like cab suspension and are more compact mainly due to the aforementioned shorter wheelbase. The 7280 is nearly 3 year old, has 2000 hrs and is being changed mainly because it's too big ( it was a previous farm managers choice).... Apart from pulling a 4000 gallon tanker and powering a mf190 baler it's not of much use otherwise here. The chosen Fendt is a 718 which is 165-180hp and will leave it that the 6210 and 718 will be the frontline machines from now on, the 718 will have a cargo loader fitted which will cut down the manitous chores too. Don't know what the tm190s fate will be, a lot of money has been spent on it and it's needing front tyres and has 8500 hours which can be the start of many other problems on the tm range, it's constantly plagued by warning lights on the dash too, it's just one thing after another, pto seals and steering sensor warnings are now flashing and beeping. I'd say the 7530 has been the most reliable tractor that's ever been here

I have been lucky to have driven a wide variety of tractors over the last decade + a bit. Sadly the TM 190 was one of them as well. Absolutely the most horrible tractor I have ever had to drive! Your story's sound very familiar Brian. Not known well for their reliability. Saying that, 7430/7530 Deere's have a terrible reputation here for being unreliable. Especially the vario gearbox. Resale value is very poor compared to other brands. 7530 with 5000 hours will fetch around €30k. Fendt 820 with 5000 hours will go for €50/55k, making the price premium stand out.

With us the resale value on 74/7530 is pretty strong, certainly better than a lot of brands. Better than the R series anyway but not a patch on Fendt. You hear horror stories about John Deere's a lot but everyone I know that runs 30 series seem to get on well, not without faults but which brand is perfect? The dealer network is one o the main reasons we run them, strong local dealers and great parts support

I have heard reports of some 30 series giving head gasket problems and theres some one of the 3 gearbox options that's known to be troublesome but it certainly isn't the autopower box fitted to the above 7530 because its been the most reliable tractor in the yard to date!! The 7280r with its direct drive gearbox (VARIO) did have to go back to the dealers a few times and on one occasion for 4 weeks to cure a whine in the back end, apparently the modification they carried out was then recified by making it in the factory before any later models were sold. I quite liked driving the 7280r but it sits very high compared to other tractors of the same hp. Brilliant lock and a very manoeuvrable machine to drive and the gearbox is a joy to use but not quite as refined as Fendts..  I have mixed feelings about the 6210 as its basically a slightly improved 7530 cab with a new engine and dimensions and although I like the autopower box id rather drive the slightly longer and much better sounding 7530. Some tractors will always stick in my mind regarding the sound they make when there working, Fiats 110-90,MARSHALL 804, I-H 956, MF 6290, MF 698T, MF 3690, MF 8480 to name but a few and to this list I now add the 7530, I often keep the left hand door open just to hear the mighty grunt when working hard. Its funny getting off a 7530 and onto a 6930, its like someone put a 7530 on smaller wheels and screwed down the diesel pump.

Archived