My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And finally on my TAARUP 10X forager, and a IH 956XL on the TAARUP 339 mower, was messing about in my model room last night to all hours and set up these mini diaramas as it is silage time after all.....

post-1667-0-28333200-1437324721_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-26902800-1437324744_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-25102700-1437324768_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-30229100-1437324791_thumb.jp

Thanks lads, I seldom get time to actually set models up like this and my pics would probably be a lot better if pictured during the daytime, but the image of power in action im trying to portray is still delivered nonetheless...  A COUNTY with a forager, sure who wouldn't want to see that, you don't have to be a county enthusiast to love them, I think deep down we all do

NOTE I think the County is a very good model from UH, I have said in the past I was disappointed with some of their MFs but his county is a good model, if I had time id like to narrow in the track width a bit but his entails removing the front axle and actually cutting a bit out of the middle of it just at its pivot point and then rejoining it, the back wheels should have enough on the rim to remove to bring it in a bit, also a realistic hitch would be excellent and maybe the back window and sunroof open too would really make a superb model out of it.....The steering lock was a problem but ive sorted this. so 8.5 out of 10 in my book for this one

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I'm thinking of making a small number of, just a possibility at this stage, a classic Taarup mower, I'll have to get my numbers in first though to establish how many to plan for, if it goes ahead then it'll be the swather model, obviously I can't research a machine and only build one as it simply would be a waste of studying and time so my models are done in limited batches

post-1667-0-04559200-1438238987_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-07131000-1438239112_thumb.jp

Yes, the swather on these sat in a fixed position and was always working as opposed to the later flip up designs, there will of course be quite a bit of making in this one

Been a long time, if possible I try to stay unique in my building and not follow others work, having your own plans and ideas and tastes is very important, the down side is that every unusual machine that hasnt been covered yet always involves a lot of pre planning and studying, lots of studying in fact, and usually a lot of hours work in the making, I've had 2 requests for this mower and want to see if there is any other interested parties in one before going ahead with stage one which is a visit to the real one with a measuring tape, notepad and a camera

This is what I'm thinking of making a small number of, just a possibility at this stage, a classic Taarup mower, I'll have to get my numbers in first though to establish how many to plan for, if it goes ahead then it'll be the swather model, obviously I can't research a machine and only build one as it simply would be a waste of studying and time so my models are done in limited batches

I might be interested in one of those. Would be the perfect replacement for the Grasshopper in the late 80s.

What chance a front mower from the same period?

I'll have to look into that, front mowers wouldn't have been around here in those early days, I'm not sure if Taarup even done one back then, would be nicer if they did as the front and back would then match,

Murphy's of Portlaw had a Taarup front mower on a Fendt 615 back around then. Was the first front mower I remember seeing.

My recollection is that the front and rear mower used to do the headlands and open up the fields and another Fendt (614?) with just a rear mower used to finish out the fields.

Both rear machines had swathers.

And now a pic of the 7280R from where I work that was traded in for a new Fendt some weeks back, in pic 1 you will see the John Deere leaving Ireland and in pic 2 you will see her arrived in the USA and loaded up for transport to its new home, I think its the only 7280R in the USA carrying a Northern Ireland registration plate....The NC tanker in the pic accompanied the 7280 to the USA but im not 100% sure if there both going to the same farm...

post-1667-0-29373800-1438464442_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-94451200-1438464474_thumb.jp

When I seen pic 1 in the above post for the first time I thought initially that Brian Stewart (MR SOFTIE)  has in fact got a lorry on the road and has bought a 7280R and is bringing her back home to Scotland to use as a getting to and from work vehicle, she definitely would be a great machine in a bad winter when everyone else is snowed in...

Ive decided to sell my CLASS 900 greeneye which has been modified, the model now has a proper steering axle and a pick up hitch and the chassis resprayed, a driver and passenger have been fitted and the spout is altered to better suit trailers than the way it was....

post-1667-0-97617700-1438821393_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-82074800-1438821400_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-68707100-1438821406_thumb.jp

post-1667-0-56005900-1438821410_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Many weeks now into my 8x NEW Holland double chop builds im now at the painting stage. I have now covered the 339/342 models 6 times and this will be the final batch, new projects keep the mind active but the 339/342 machines were common around me and I have fond memories of them working around me, It took quite a bit of power to drive the 6ft 342 machine in heavy first cut grass and I remember one working on a MF 1250 tractor and making her earn her keep. They has a long production run from the mid 70s to the early 90s and the model matches a wide range of available tractors in 1/32 scale. They were a very well built machine and stood a lot of abuse and there main competitor was Taarup and Kidd. Taarup only offered a 5ft machine in there DC1500 but Kidd in later years offered the 346-6 machine and I believe in the 90s that NEW HOLLAND and KIDD had some arrangement between them. It has taken weeks to get through making all the parts and then copying them 8 times to complete the batch and like any other model build they must be given all the time it takes to get them correct, sometimes it feels like you,re getting nowhere but eventually things come together and finalisation comes into view. Time of course is the main ingredient in any build and it takes a hell of a lot of it.

2 exciting forthcoming builds is a MARSHALL 802 tractor, only one is planned at present for a customer and the ONLY way to go about a MARSHALL is a LEYLAND 384 kit from scaledown models which will be modified to 802 spec along the way and a UH CASE 1594 cab or whatever model number they have coming out, a few other parts will be sourced and made and research is now well on with this one. And a more complicated job will be a GRIMME GL410 or 420 4 row belt type potato planter, this model will probably mean buying the ROS GRIMME exacta planter for parts and I think they retail around £60 so there will only be 3 at the most of this model and one will be staying with me..

Thank you Mark, I still consider myself an apprentice however as theres a constant steep learning curve. .At the minute I dedicate as much time as possible to model building but it adds up to roughly 25 hours per week as I work 8-6 5 days a week... Model building wouldn't provide a full time wage for me but acts as a sideline which has also been a lifelong hobby and I keep a lot of my own models for my collection.

Archived