My Model Builds - Past and Present.

B O R

Brian, as normal the very best. I don't know how you do it. simply great work. Let me know if you have left for sale?

We had friends round recently, an old farming friend couldn't believe the de-stoner and baler you made, I couldn't get him away form them!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neils and Charlie thank you.....The model building really does tie me down to using all my spare time up at it, this can get frustrating sometimes as its hard to fit other things in, but as ive mentioned before time is the single biggest factor in model building and it can be a long way through a batch of models from start to finish, the one thing ive also discovered in model building is that the endless research and working things out is the unpaid bit but must be done in order to get models correct. If I were to add the research to the price then it simply would make things too expensive, the only way I have around this is to build in batches so as the information ive researched can be put into a number of models rather than just the one. Everyone has their own way of doing things and this is the only way it works for me, the profit margin in model building is very tight indeed and a huge commitment is required

Having had a weeks break after the double chop builds im now going on a visit tommorrow to picture and measure a TAARUP 307 mower with swather, this will be my next project starting next week when ive all the information i need. At this stage 4 will definately be made which are spoken for. As with any new project that relates to me having memories off im quite excited about the end product, they were a huge machine for there time.

The TAARUP 307 mower visit took place this evening after work, much info was gained and ive now to get my head around it all, ive never been keen on mower builds as any trailed mowers ive done up to now have all given me problems along the way but you have to think positive and i am looking forward to having one myself. I have been fortunate in finding a good surviving example to measure and picture.....

Funny enough it was about an hour an a halfs drive from me, there was a 306 with swather and behind it a 307 with the swather removed and sitting beside it, both mowers looked pretty much unabused and capable of doing more work, the place sells second hand machinery and is called WHITES of Bocombra which is in Portadown.. Upon my visit i discovered they have about 2 acres just laden with yesteryears machinery awaiting its destiny. My mind is now awash with dimensions and pictures of my forthcoming builds of the 307 and once again im at the bottom of the mountain which has to be climbed without help. I call it the dark days of a build, the only way to think positive at this time is to picture the end 1/32 scale product and a present to myself thatll remind me of the days they worked around me, a piece of my childhood history on my shelf..

A lucky find for you, if only they were nearer me I might have been tempted to have a look at those mowers, and I would certainly have enjoyed looking around the 2 acres of old machinery. I think my collecting is down to memory's from my younger days too, weather it be the machines I used, had memory's of my dad using or ones I admired over the fence.

I have a memory, from around 87 or 88, of a Murphy Brothers Fendt 615 (on a C plate) with Taarups front and back, parked outside the old train station in Tramore.

I'm guessing it was 88, because I moved to Britland in 89.

Would love to kit my Weise 615 out with the same outfit.

Hint hint.

:)

Funny enough it was about an hour an a halfs drive from me, there was a 306 with swather and behind it a 307 with the swather removed and sitting beside it, both mowers looked pretty much unabused and capable of doing more work, the place sells second hand machinery and is called WHITES of Bocombra which is in Portadown.. Upon my visit i discovered they have about 2 acres just laden with yesteryears machinery awaiting its destiny. My mind is now awash with dimensions and pictures of my forthcoming builds of the 307 and once again im at the bottom of the mountain which has to be climbed without help. I call it the dark days of a build, the only way to think positive at this time is to picture the end 1/32 scale product and a present to myself thatll remind me of the days they worked around me, a piece of my childhood history on my shelf..

nice find that 2 acres of kit to use as reference in the future, theres a place like that down here in cornwall, but he rents it all out , some cracking stuff parked up, inc loads of fords from a 5000 through to 40 series ford/nhs ,few countys to ,several old clayson combines , all sorts of grass kit and trailers, but other than seeing it from the A38 his gates are usualy shut, thought i was in recently as a job was arround his place,but he refused us the permission to add the pole that fed him to the new network, so once again, just stopped outside where i can get no pics

Its tough when you meet a stubborn old git like that.....Some folk have a suspicious nature and would instantly think you,re in to steal parts etc...... Same when restoring a tractor or machine and you ask to see someones real example for reference but its nice when folk are helpful and understand what you,re there for, the place I visited have machinery from the 70s to current new stuff like sprayers and post drivers etc but mainly deal in older kit. I think it was the first time they ever got the request for a model builder to come in and measure and I could see the odd look I was getting for a while but fortunately it was my customer who done the asking etc and left me to get on with my bit.  Stan that mower is definitely from the early 2000s as its after Kverneland bought them and the green was added, the Ten x forager was also given the same upgrade of green wheels and  new decals. I think the 306/307 was made the same time as the 602b and 602c foragers, the difference in the c was that it stood for CONTRACTORS model and featured heavier duty gearboxes, then they were followed by the 622b model, but if that's the case then its be interesting to look up a product brochure for that period and see all what Taarup offered, by the time the Ten X was introduced id say Taarups new mower would have been the 337/338/339 models...

I guess that's right brian, can see where he's coming from, if I could find somewhere to stop then walk back I would, but its a fast winding road, lots of artics  (main route into cornwall basicly )  no footpath or decent verges where he is, and the nearest junction or place I could stop is about half a mile away ,the camera would zoom fine, but the risk is to high, its a real shame as the fields  littered with kit,  all parked up in lines, you see it disappear in rows as each crop or planting season rolls in ,its the 3 or 4 clayson's I want to get to, get some ref pics and measurements ,as I have always wanted to make one, to go with the other 3 combines I have done and I cant remember the last ones I saw bar his

That is really some website Joe, ive just been in and the earliest 327 i see is with KV stickers and green skirting and on a CASE IH 5150 , i will have to delve further into it to see what comes up. No doubt itll be useful for other projects now that i have the link, thank you

Building is now underway of 5x TAARUP 307 mowers with swathers, 1 is also being done with no swather...

I have 1x TAARUP 307 with swather for sale from the batch

All TAARUP mowers are now sold   

• 5 weeks later...

The TAARUP 307 autoswather models are nearing painting stage and a lot of parts have been made for the non autoswather model, many hours have been put in.

My next project will be bale handling equipment namely Flat 8 grabs and bale sleighs, a very limited number of each will be made.

Pics of the completed TAARUP mowers soon as there just getting the last few little things done to them for completion.

I have a yellow NEW HOLLAND 339 and a red 342 double chop foragers  for sale from the last batch that were spoken for but the customer hasn't got back to me about them so there up for sale again, there boxed and ready to go.

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

Archived