scratch builders &converters wots in your shed/workshop

IH885XLMAN

Question

as some of you might know im having a shed in the back garden to store all the

garden stuff funiture lawnmower etc also a work shop part the shed is going to be 10x 8

ample room i recon but what do you keep in ur project room at all times resin plasti struct ???

what  tool you like cuttin equip even down to the work top as it will help me kit out my shed

20 answers to this question

Ah, this will be a good one, get some suggestions for myself in here...

For me...

Brass rod, one of each thickness from very fine to axle thickness, few lengths of piano wire for the same, box of random styrene sections and a couple of sheets of plasticard, dremels, lots of hand tools including some larger ones like pliers, power drill etc... couple of small bench vices are a must, I don't have any in my attic yet but I need to get a couple, would make life so much easier....

Adjustable spot lamp on the bendy arm is essential, cutting mat, large-ish cardboard box with the top flaps cut off, tipped on it's side to act as a spray booth.... something else worth thinking of is power, I had a run of double sockets put in about 150mm above work surface level which makes plugging in power tools, soldering irons and lights really easy.... I got a load of the small parts bins with hanging rails from Aldi and put them on the wall above the bench, really handy place to keep spring clamps, dremel & drill bits, craft knives, fixings & glues to hand without them cluttering up your work surface.... Also from Aldi I've got a tool tidy, like a shelf with various sized holes in that I can hang screwdrivers, files, tweezers etc in.... Also worth getting one of those freestanding oil filled electric radiators, they're great for getting heat in when you're spraying and you can stand those helping hand things on them with parts in to speed up drying.....

My workbench is some desks we had from a school, so 750mm from the floor. They're compact laminate topped in light grey so absolutely bombproof and you can clean glue and paint off them.... We had a load of stools as well, little round ones on gas lift and castors, great for scooting up and down the room on and I can drop it right down so I'm down at desk level for painting etc....

Aldi has been a rich seem of bits for me, they had some fantastic workshop supplies in recently, parts drawers, sorters, bins, everything.... really is worth keeping an eye on if you're kitting out your room.... I'm well chuffed with mine, granted, a lot of it was stuff we had already but what I did buy still didn't cost the earth...

Any of that any help ???;D I'll post you some photos if you like, I quite like my little room... it's coming on well and is referred to as 'Daddy's Special Room' in our house.... ;):D

mines a garden shed, so i do have the lawn mower strimmer ect in there too :D :D :D :D :D

tend to keep a few bits of basic size plasti card and rod in, usally tube and squares, if i need other bits i buy when i get a chace, ,usally 2 plasti welds in there, i usally knock one over a month with the lid off, basic paint colours for what i usally make, loads of spare bits, and a pot of off cuts from loads of different bits left over, never throw any bits like that away, even if they are 1cm long

ahh this is the sort of helpfull thighys i need like the carfdboard box spray booth

im thinking of getting wearehouse pallet racking in so i can make up a long worktop

out of it just a case of shortening the racking strutts to wais height i was thinking

of wood or kitchen worktop as a surfice wot do you think a cutting matt will be on the list definatly

and i will have to name the shed aswell  ::):D :D mini doncaster or melthem mini mill ha ha!

any pics welcome as it will inspire me  ;) ;) ;)

cheers nigel

cd player, ashtray, stella, thats the basics  ;)scalpul, pliers, various glues, small scrfewdrivers,junior hacksaw,files, stanley knife,vice,centre punch, drill,drill bits,nuts, bolts, screws,kitchen roll,paint, thinners,brushes. and keep the wires that hold models in the boxes, great for hanging up parts that have been painted,swear box,plasters, more stella, mobile phone( a must to order your coffee from the misses ;D) but most of all you have to have a place for all your ideas , keep that area tidy and you will be well on your way ;) hope this helps!!

I may have missed it but one of the most important tools you will need are steel rulers  I have ones ranging from 6 inches all the way to 3 foot    Oh and the abligatory Tape measure

Right PB has finally accepted some photos ::)

Here's my little room.... incidentally, if anyone is interested in any of the furniture I still have quite a bit and could probably come to some arrangement ;) 30 odd stools to shift! :D

Most of the fittings came from Aldi, brilliant they are ;)

I was lucky in that I built the whole room from scratch so while I was a bit limited by available space, I could have it exactly how I wanted it....

You can see where I had the power put in, way over the top but I should never run short - run out of electricity before I run out of sockets! :D There's 8 doubles in a room even Tris couldn't stretch out in! Barry calls it the National Grid :D :D

I want to put shelves up the whole of the gable wall at the end to put not just tool boxes but store some models too.... may even have one shelf done out with some terrain and a background for displaying a few, who knows....

P4060382.jpg

P4060383.jpg

P4060384.jpg

P4060385.jpg

P4060386.jpg

P4060387.jpg

Perhaps most important of all you've got to have a bit of space to play... er, I mean... test .. run.... things.... on .... er... trial :-\ :-X:-[

George comes and plays with his little playbase mummy bought him last week [which every time he sees it he says, ever so sincerely, 'thank you daddy, it's the best birthday ever'..... it's not been his birthday since July but the lucky little blighter is convinced every day is his birthday ::);):D....... I think he particularly likes the access he has to a seemlessly never ending [to a 2 year old] supply of brightly coloured toys! :D

The little gas lift stools are brilliant, and having put a laminate floor down I can scoot back and forth effortlessly and, as I said, drop it right down so my chin is on the desk which stops my knackered body from shaking so much when I'm painting ::):D

P4060388.jpg

Cheers Spud! ;D It's improving as we speak, I've got another table leaned against me as I type.... have turned the ones at the end round and cut a few down so I've now got bench continuously round the room, 600 wide at the sides and 1000 deep against the gable wall.... the kids are moving in! :D :D

cheers for the pics mine is going to be an apex 10x8 shed with electric running to it from the old(soon to be utility room)shed

i recon ample room for garden tack alcahol mobile phone chager bed matress sleeping bag maybee a sink  ;):D

interesting....have to get you for the text talk in the title though :D :D :D::)!

i'm still deciding on the shed but other things keep getting put first. What make etc. are you getting?, i'm also after a 10x8!

mine would be full of the garden stuff, plus similar to Seans really, trying not to over fill it!

Smashing little room you've created there Simon, very well equipped.

Did the wall mounted holder for the screwdrivers, pliers, pens etc come from Aldi. It looks like something that I could do with :D

Cheers Mark, yes, it did come from Aldi.... they've still got a load of them left in the Ludlow one.... let me know if you can't get one and I'll grab one for you ;):)

Lovely room you got there Simon,cant wait to see more nice thinks from that workbench mate.

I saw the walkers bible as well  :D;)

All best

Pete

One of my favourite pieces of reading material for when I'm on 'The Throne'.. ;):D

I'm pretty well set up to tackle all that I've got planned now... I had a good re-jig in there yesterday and created a bit more of a large area for barn building, I'll get a photo.... ;) Hopefully what comes off the bench will look half as good as the bench itself! ::):D :D

Cheers Mark, yes, it did come from Aldi.... they've still got a load of them left in the Ludlow one.... let me know if you can't get one and I'll grab one for you ;):)

[glow=red,2,300]One of my favourite pieces of reading material for when I'm on 'The Throne'[/glow].. ;):D

I'm pretty well set up to tackle all that I've got planned now... I had a good re-jig in there yesterday and created a bit more of a large area for barn building, I'll get a photo.... ;) Hopefully what comes off the bench will look half as good as the bench itself! ::):D :D

wot in the shed you got a thrown  ;D ;D ;D ;D i will digg a hole in the corner but nothing as posh as a W/C ;D ;D ;D

Simon that's way to orderly. Nice looking and full of handy things but too tidy. Give it a year and you won't be able to find a thing, the pliers will be stuck in their rack by leaking glue, there will be lines all over the floor where you whizzed around all Sunday afternoon before realising that paint you spilt? It landed on one of the casters on the swivel chair. Oh and the cutting mat will look like a butchers meat board!  :D :D :D