Sickle bar mowing contest lots a pix

ertlerik

Ah! I remember it well, sharpening the sections of the knife while the dew was still on the grass, first thing in the morning, with a flat-file and flat cardorundum stone, only for it to be blunt again by early afternoon, so put the second one in.

In wet years the laid crop would NOTpart cleanly from the standing grass with the swath board/stick however you set it so you had to find the best way of cutting the field and do it one direction only and stop and clean the crap/rotting under-mat from the ledger plates to try and assist the cut, though this was due to the ledger plates being worn. So I fitted new ledger plates over the course of a couple of days (before angle/mini grinders and top-serrated sections that don't need sharpening) but still made little difference. When we managed to convince father to see what a  Bamford "Wizzler" would do with a heavy crop we eventually bought a New Holland 435 disc mower.

The old mower fingers are still great fencing staple extractors!!

blimey , what a great day out , seeing all the old timers keeping their hand in also good to see an intrac as well, not many if any about here anymore  brilliant pics erik  :) :)

know what you mean about the finger guides nigel , many a time hit me own fingers trying to prise a staple  :D :D :D

did you have a name for it ? farm next door used to call them digglers  ???  as in Dirk Diggler i suppose  ???:-[:D

unless you have used one of these  finger bar blighters then correct, you don`t appreciate the giant leap forward they were. I only ever cut weeds with the fergie ones we had, used 3 of them one was always in bits !!!!!

I`m sure though they were a great advancement  forward in their day too.

Nice post Erik and nice to see so many tractors and "finger bar mowers" in action. I had my French Cub and mid mounted mower going at our local working day last year but I was the only mower there amongst nearrly 200 tractors. Everyone just seemed to want to plough.

BA2008064.jpg

BA2008065.jpg

BA2008066.jpg

Basically the French cub has the same  engine and back end etc as the American Cub. They were only made under license in France. Lucklly I did not have to get engine parts for either of my French or American cubs but pasrts can be obtained via the states.

Some of the differences between the American and French made Cubs

Front Grille - American is ealier and is the fire guard grille whereas the Ffrench one has the style grille as used on Farmall A's etc

Different seat system

French ones have scallops in front wheel rims but not the America

You will see some of the difference between my 1951 restored American one and 1957 unrestored French one.

Misc050508005.jpg

Yes I was pleased with the mowing Erik it was straighter than my ploughing