A TRACTOR TO BE USED FOR HEAVY VEHICLE RECOVERY

BC

Well my friend who runs a heavy vehicle recovery business has decided to add a tractor to his fleet of lorries to enable him to go off-roading in fields etc where the heavy recovery vehicles cannot go. The plan is to attach a heavy duty winch at the back. The tractor looks better in the photos than it really is i.e. it has had a fluff over of a paint job and look presentable from the distance. The engine sound remarkably good despite not being a favourite brand of mine ;) ;)

MISC010709001.jpg

MISC010709002.jpg

MISC010709003.jpg

Whilst I there this afternnon another purchase arrived. This time a Gunsmith garden tractor for his son to play with

MISC010709004.jpg

The MF isn't in too bad a condition Sean only the paint job isn't up to my or my friends standard of restoration ;) ;)

Having said that it is only to be used as a workhorse and the only bad rusty bits are the panels just under the 2640 number on both sides. It is not often he need to hire in the services of a tractor but there have been occasions. So far the old Ford NAM below has served it purpose

Misc04032009001.jpg

Misc04032009002.jpg

Looks like a nice straight tractor that 2640 Bill, as for the Gunsmith, that looks like an interesting little machine, can't recall seeing one in the flesh before.

I need to research on the Gunsmith David since although I have seen a few they have been in all kinda colours. I do know they used the BMB ( iron Horse ) type of tractor back end in the Gunsmith and it is fitted with a JAP pull start engine with WICO magneto. The gear box has 2 neutrals a reverse and a high and low. We could not seen any throttle so the engine may be self governing I just don't know. the next step is for him to clean the tank carb and point and plugs and get it started because his son Lewis aged 8 is eager for a go ;) ;)

what a beauty Bill... pretty straight really... what's the cab interior like ???

Well Mark it being a Massey I didn't actually venture into the cab in case he offered me a drive ;) ;)

Seriously I didn't really look closely. All I know the seat has been replaced with a lorry seat. The next time I in past I'll venture into the cab for a nosey.

I must admit it started well and the engine sounded good so I may take a liking to her yet ;) ;)

you have to tell him thats not going to work bill   >:( he needs something like a nuffield  ;):D

Well Arron I think we want to preserve Nuffields not use them as a "wreckers"..... ;D ;D

Bill get up in that 26 matey, you'll love it. With an armchair of a lorry seat and that huffing, puffing, chuffing great exhaust infront of you. . . . . Feel the power! Tidy looking bit of kit, paint is very deceiving by the sounds of it.

Bill get up in that 26 matey, you'll love it. With an armchair of a lorry seat and that huffing, puffing, chuffing great exhaust infront of you. . . . . Feel the power! Tidy looking bit of kit, paint is very deceiving by the sounds of it.

Not on that one Trissy... she's sporting an opico style version mate  :-\

I don't know Tris.... prefer the 143 Scania any day ;) ;)

now thats an early 2640, same as we had on demo, hence my build of the same model, might have had a fluff of paint, but she looks pretty complete bar engine covers

like the little garden tractor  to, never seen one of them before

Saw his brouchure last night. There are no engine covers shown on it either I see ??? ???

ST09029.jpg

what a beauty Bill... pretty straight really... what's the cab interior like ???

Well Mark I had a seat in her...just to take a picture mind you ;) ;)

Is that walnut or plastic wood on the dash  ;D ;D

ST09030.jpg

Not easy to take shots in a cab ...few shabby bits but not too bad for a 27 year old

ST09031.jpg

I didn't stay too long in the cab just in case I started to take a liking to it Mark  ;) ;)  however yesterday wasn't quite as warm as the day before. I remember the first time I saw it my friend said it had air conditioning but would that be right on that age of tractor ??? ??? Maybe its just a fast speed fan.... he more a lorry chap than a tractor buff ;) ;)

I didn't stay too long in the cab just in case I started to take a liking to it Mark   ;) ;)  however yesterday wasn't quite as warm as the day before. I remember the first time I saw it my friend said it had air conditioning but would that be right on that age of tractor ??? ??? Maybe its just a fast speed fan.... he more a lorry chap than a tractor buff ;) ;)

Air con as standard Bill... but not the best or most reliable either  :-\

good looking 26 there bill , lets just hope you're mate only plans to take it no further than a few miles for recovery , else he may have to charge for a 3 day call out  :D :D, good old busses really , low reving engine with loads of power to hand & bullet proof  & with a decent winch on it , there isn't much it wont move bolted down or not  :D

i liked the later version better as the park brake was positioned as a ratchet bar under the dash console , leaving the space on the floor for a 3 level cantelever toolbox  :)

good looking 26 there bill , lets just hope you're mate only plans to take it no further than a few miles for recovery , else he may have to charge for a 3 day call out  :D :D, good old busses really , low reving engine with loads of power to hand & bullet proof  & with a decent winch on it , there isn't much it wont move bolted down or not  :D

i liked the later version better as the park brake was positioned as a ratchet bar under the dash console , leaving the space on the floor for a 3 level cantelever toolbox  :)

Well if too far to travel by road Marcus then it will have to be take to the scene on borad one of the Volvo 4 wheelers with the brimex bodies.

Mind you he charges by the hour from point of time leaving the yard to returning so you never know what he will do ;)

He will be adding a front weight box too which came off the old Renault Magnum when it had the detachable zak lift which is now on the DUL Foden