Tractor Logo History

JK

Just been looking up on the Unimog logo, it is an Ox head which was used by the Boehringer company founder of the Unimog before Benz took over production, the horns of the ox formed a U which I think may have been part of the lettering, was fitted to the bonnett of the 411 mainly but ive also seen it on newer mogs and forward control models.

;)

post-421-13263912431_thumb.jpg

I knew the deer  was changed from  4 legs visible to 2  , but did not realise it was  as long  ago as 1968 ,

....but what was it ....? 4 legs good, 2 legs bad....(Animal Farm....' bout the only thing I remember of my English Lit lessons!!!)

I haven't looked at the links above but there used to be JOHN DEERE under the beasty too when it was still yellow background, when they were first imported to the UK,I think.

This reminds me of how the David Brown roses emblem came into being. The white rose representing Yorkshire as this is where the tractor factory was and being that Counties emblem, the red rose of Lancashire, where the implement factory was. Echo's of 'The Wars Of The Roses', putting both roses together on one emblem, emblematic of unification of the two Counties and further bonding them.

Nigel. The roses emblem first appeared on the 950 (non Implematic) in 1959 and continued in that form, the rose proper if you like, which was known as the 'cabbage rose' until it appeared as the 'flat' rose in 1972 when the Tennaco Company aquired David Brown. This later type was produced in the plastic insert emblem for only one year. The hole in the nose cone of the bonnet was deleted in 1974 along with the gold grille louvre and the roses emblem then became a stick on decal and the edging became more angular and along with the D and the B were in gold instead of the earlier silver. A smaller emblem decal in a roundel was used on the steering wheel center cap when the Q cab was introduced and this decal remained until the 90 and 94 series tractors livery changed to black skid units and all were decalled Case (1984) and this decal was deleted as well. The original first type emblem was resurrected once again in 1988 and mounted in a special holder and attached to the front of all the Commemorative Edition Case IH Meltham built tractors, mostly 1494's 1594's, 1694's and just a few 1394's. There are no specific details recorded of these tractors as they were decalled as 'Commemorative Editions' at random. To celebrate 50 years of D.B. tractor production and sadly, the last.

• 5 months later...

Nigel. The roses emblem first appeared on the 950 (non Implematic) in 1959 and continued in that form, the rose proper if you like, which was known as the 'cabbage rose' until it appeared as the 'flat' rose in 1972 when the Tennaco Company aquired David Brown. This later type was produced in the plastic insert emblem for only one year. The hole in the nose cone of the bonnet was deleted in 1974 along with the gold grille louvre and the roses emblem then became a stick on decal and the edging became more angular and along with the D and the B were in gold instead of the earlier silver. A smaller emblem decal in a roundel was used on the steering wheel center cap when the Q cab was introduced and this decal remained until the 90 and 94 series tractors livery changed to black skid units and all were decalled Case (1984) and this decal was deleted as well. The original first type emblem was resurrected once again in 1988 and mounted in a special holder and attached to the front of all the Commemorative Edition Case IH Meltham built tractors, mostly 1494's 1594's, 1694's and just a few 1394's. There are no specific details recorded of these tractors as they were decalled as 'Commemorative Editions' at random. To celebrate 50 years of D.B. tractor production and sadly, the last.

so i'm assuming the 'bottle opener' triangular DB type decal went just before CASE bought into the company although i think the existing David Brown company still use this logo today

The bottle opener logo appeared in red in 1972/3 just after the Tennaco takeover but Case was not introduced into the decals until around 1976 when the decals went to black. The bottle opener logo came to be because of the identification markings on Sir Davids private plane which carried the same shaped D.B.  and the planes call-sign in the phonetic was 'delta bravo' and the angular shape of the 'D' is known as delta which, joined to the 'B' as it was, looked like a bottle opener, hence the name the logo was known as or more particularly nick-named.