• £ 500 to £ 600
    • £ 601 to £ 700
    • £ 701 to £ 800
    • £ 801 to £ 900
    • £ 901 to £ 1,000

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

by heck that is nice and send the old gezzer over here Bill, he and I can have a good chin wig...bet he has some good tales to hear..... :)

The old geezer is my pops pop. He will be 80 in April this year. Oh don't mention chin wagging the least excuse and he will break away for that to speak to any passing person, cat or dog >:( ..oh and he could talk the hind legs off a donkey so another reason why this is a long term project...I mean it was started back last August.

Never mind I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Only really the MDF lining board to fit although that will not be straight forwar because I know he will need to scribe each one in.

Thereafter need to get the bund pad ready where temporary shack of 2 and 1/2 years has been then lift up on to pipe rollers and roll into place.

Well Rick I have never heard him been called that before ;) ;)

No he has never been accross the pond and I doubt very much if he will at his age now. Anyway he doesn't have the time he has to get this shed finished since the 2010 rally season will be kicking in shortly ;) ;)

Well yes it does look that way Mark but dad isn't into photography and certainly not digital camera. I sure if I let him loose with it he would drop it. Yesterday it was actually me that did most of the cutting and fitting with Stanley knife but as we run short of pieces he was back and forth to the garage and cutting a clean edge with the panel saw.

Today he will no doubt take over on the fitting or scribing in of the MDF sheets and then I will be the hole and screw er upper.

After the lining boards are down well paint them with white emulsion paint.

After that it will be concreting base inside existing shack leave to dry and roll shed into place. After that run in electricity from another shed and get my homer sparky to do final wiring. I could do it myself but well I like to leave this to a professional....I mean I don't want all five shed and garage to go on fire ;) ;)

Before I buy any materials I always work out what is needed....I mean I don't like wastage and don't like spending any more money than I have to ;) ;)

I had done this one for the insulation board and worked out I need 5 sheets excluding the roof which I had not planned doing but when at the building merchants I decided what the hell and add a 6th sheet so the roof could be done to. I mean if heat goes in heat rises so really a bit silly not to insulate it too,

07022010001.jpg

Also did one for the MDF boards so could work out where dwangs and additional uprights were required between the framing. Worked out at 9 so here is hoping I got it right ;) ;)

07022010002.jpg

impressive work  8) , i normally do that on a sheet of paper, scrawl a lot on it and get going. nothing resembling the professional look like this..

Welll fordcrazy001 the time that this project has gone on I would have lost the piece of paper with scrawls or it would have disintegrated ;) ;)

I work with numbers in my job and everthing I do tends to be spreadsheet related so I would not say professional just kind of second nature to me ;D ;D

Sunday 7th February 2010

First sheet of 6mm MDF cut to width of roof 80 inches and 1 /8

07022010003.jpg

Now what is he doing now. Making a "mannie" as he calls them ...in fact two of them. What are these going to be used for then ??? ???

07022010004.jpg

that is one h*ll of a mannie. Normally we use some small 1x2 for those..

You'll find those very usefull when it comes to hold those roofboards up against the ceiling before screwing or nailing them! saves a couple of hands!

Spot on fordcrazy001 that what it is and is going to be used for. The first one was probaby 2inch x 2 inch bit the second one well that was the longest piece of wood I had to hand from the garage roof without having a major emptying of the woodshed. As we say in Scotland "take what you have and you will never want" ;) ;)

The "mannies" in action

07022010005.jpg

07022010006.jpg

Test bore with the electric drill and Screwfix multimate to see if depth of drills ok for the 3/4 inch 6 brass screws

07022010007.jpg

The "Screwfix" Ni 6 multimate drill which drills pilot, counter bore and counter sink all in one operation. One of the handiest tools ever invented I would say however dad would probably drilled the board then countersinks it with and other drill then "stobbed" through that into the couples with a braddle. All very time consuming.

07022010008.jpg

Each roof sheet held up with 27 - 3/4 inch No 6 brass screws i.e. 9 in each couple leg.

Cutting the long piece off the second roof sheet

07022010009.jpg

your dad sure loves his saw  ;)  , an electrical circle saw would do the trick much faster with a lot less arm ache from sawing those long, long, long boards.. ;) , but atleast he gets the job done 8)

did you think it over to put some plastic between the insulation and the board? For condensation that might occur on the inside of the insulation when temperatures from inside and outside vary quite a bit? (this probably isnt necessary because of the type of insulation you used and the board being of a great size and thus less air/ventilation openings).

looks like it wont take that much longer though until you can put a decent worklight in your shed when the ceiling is done  ;)

your dad sure loves his saw  ;)  , an electrical circle saw would do the trick much faster with a lot less arm ache from sawing those long, long, long boards.. ;) , but atleast he gets the job done 8)

did you think it over to put some plastic between the insulation and the board? For condensation that might occur on the inside of the insulation when temperatures from inside and outside vary quite a bit? (this probably isnt necessary because of the type of insulation you used and the board being of a great size and thus less air/ventilation openings).

looks like it wont take that much longer though until you can put a decent worklight in your shed when the ceiling is done  ;)

Well I did offer to use my Red Devil rip snorter but it takes a minute or two to set up a gauge and well my tables are not really big enough. It's only 6mm suff so it doesn't take too long. Only 2 sheets will not require cutting.

Well the framing was 50 mm and the Quinn insulation board is foil lined on both sides and is 40mm so we have a 10 mm cavity wall between inside of weatherboarding and inside of the Quinn board.

Decent light there will be a least 4 or 5 of those strip lights fitted...thats why there are so many double sockets. Lights will be wired to a plug and fused down.

Yesterday got two of the cut roof boards on and took two boards for the sides in which will be the only ones which don't need cutting. next board to fit will be one for the gable end.

Each of the roof board's was held up with 27 - 3/4 No 6 brass scews i.e. 9 screws per couple leg.

07022010010.jpg

07022010011.jpg

07022010012.jpg

07022010013.jpg

Are you not painting or sealing the back of the MDF board Bill... won't it warp when the damp gets in it mate ???:of

No if damp get through the profile and the felt and the 18mm chip board and the 10 mm cavity and the 40 mm Quinn board and the 6mm MDF I'll eat my hat ;) ;)

And before you ask not all 54 screws heads are not necessarily pointing the same way :-\

Reason well will be filled with poly filler and then painted with Dulux trade white emulsion. ;) ;)

Isn't the damp just in the air Uncle Bill ??? .. I'd have given it a seal of rubberised paint on the back and the edges... just in case... it's only really cardboard after all... if it was mine I would... go on... take them off... you know you want to now  ;D:-*;)

As for screw heads... so... you are now telling me you've stopped doing that too... well all I can say is... what a bodge this is turning out to be  :P;):D :D :D :D

What a let down... we all looked up to you Bill... Now I have seen the light... those spreadsheets wern't really cutting lists... they were taken from soneone elses drawer at work wern't they... go on.... fess up Crooky... this is really a B & Q shed isnt it  >:(

Isn't the damp just in the air Uncle Bill ??? .. I'd have given it a seal of rubberised paint on the back and the edges... just in case... it's only really cardboard after all... if it was mine I would... go on... take them off... you know you want to now  ;D:-*;)

As for screw heads... so... you are now telling me you've stopped doing that too... well all I can say is... what a bodge this is turning out to be  :P;):D :D :D :D

What a let down... we all looked up to you Bill... Now I have seen the light... those spreadsheets wern't really cutting lists... they were taken from soneone elses drawer at work wern't they... go on.... fess up Crooky... this is really a B & Q shed isnt it  >:(

Well Mark I'm going to run the risk. Never had any problem with the last shed that was built 11 years ago. I'm certainly not taking them down. The second board was a tighter fit and pops told me to do something so I thre his hammer on the floor which triggered on mannie to fall know off his cap he let go the second mannie and well it fell too. The only thing hurt was his pride but rest assurred they ar enot coming down again.

Well when working about ones head its not easy to see.

Don't get me going on B&Q sheds Mark my dads late elder brother David said that it was a criminal offence to sell such things ;) ;)

least could do is buy pops a better cap.....tightfisted bugger drives an Audi..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No need to buy him any Rick he wears them all the time (except when in doors)  and at rallies quite often gets one handed out to him for advertising purposes.

I did buy him a hard hat... he would have been better wearing that yesterday ;) ;)

Archived