Britains farm tractor implement & accessories sets

I just buy a very nice set for my collection. Britains farm tractor imlement & accessories set number 9596. This is the set with the ford super major 5000. Is the set with the super major (ddn) the same as this one? I never see one with a ddn tracor in a set like this.

post-7-13263913664_thumb.jpg

That is a very nice set, especially as it contains the rare blue Muledozer which was only ever found in that set (although some Super Major 5000 sets had the normal orange one).  The DDN set was a little different. 

The set pictured is 9595,  the DDN set was numbered 9597 and the box colouring was different.

The DDN set contained: Fordson Super Major (on Rubber Tyres) (9525),  3 Furrow Plough (9530),  Roller (9533),  Acrobat Rake (9537),  Tipping Trailer (9550),  Cultivator (9536),  Muledozer (9535) in its usual orange colour,  Tractor Driver (H2055), and the linkage attachment for the roller.

There is a picture of both these sets at the back of 'Britains Fordson, Ford & New Holland Toy Tractors' by Peter Baron.

Additionally, there was also a set which contained both the earlier DDN/Power Major's.  Catalogue number 146F contained: Fordson Power Major on Rubber Tyres (172F),  Fordson Major on Spade Lugs (171F),  Timber Trailer (129F),  Tipping Trailer (130F),  Roller (136F),  3 Furrow Plough (173F),  and Muledozer (174F) contained in a green lidded box.

I have never seen the last one,  have any of you?

Probably our best ever find!  ;D

I posted this couple of years back. I will get some more images at the weekend with the lid and label!

I guess they may have done some with the side headlights too?

The tractors in the set originally were identical, but in slightly worn condition, so have been replaced with better examples.

post-2-132639137158_thumb.jpg

Sold at vectis

Lot 3007 Britains - December 15th, 2005

Britains No.146F "Model Farm" Gift Set comprising of Fordson Major Tractor - dark blue, orange spud wheels, driver, another but with black tyres, Log Trailer - green, Plough - green, red, Tipping Trailer with Raves, Disc Harrow and Roller - conditions are generally Good to Excellent complete with 2 x instruction sheets, outer box with paper label is generally Fair but complete (has had some replacement cardboard in places - still a Good example of a hard issue to find.

post-2-132639137164_thumb.jpg

OOOOh, jealous of that :D :D :D;D  Nice rare coloured Roller too!  ;D

The 2x DDN set was basically a repackage of the previous E27N set issued under the same number.  Yours could be an early one which still had the Trailer Plough (138F) and the Disc Harrow (135F) from the previous 2x E27N set.

I remember the day we bought the set at a local auction. It was heart pounding stuff, especially when everyone else seemed oblivious to what the set was!

I imagine quite a few go through the local auctions un-noticed.

This is the 146F set with ford power major tractors. The set from andy must be 145f with super major tractors. 

I don't think so as 145F only contained one tractor with 3 implements. 

145F originally contained one E27N (either a rubber tyred 128F or a spade lug 127F),  and a Trailer Plough (138F), Tipping Trailer (130F) and Disc Harrow (135F).

From 1959 when the Power Major was introduced, 145F contained either a rubber tyred Power Major (172F), OR a spade lugged Power Major (171F), with a 3 Furrow Mounted Plough (173F), Tipping Trailer (130F), and Muledozer (174F).  This set was then deleted in 1961 when the Super Major was issued.

Your post has made me look at Andys' set again, however. 

Andys set  is quite certainly set 146F. It is possible that it may have had the wrong tractors put in it at some point (this set should contain the 'Power Majors' with the external lights).  As Andy pointed out that the original tractors they found in the set were played with, it is probable that they were not the original tractors in the set. 

It appears to be an early set from the implements point of view as the 146F with the DDNs should have the 3 Furrow Mounted Plough (173F) instead of the Trailer Plough (138F),  and the Muledozer(174F) in place of the Disc Harrow (135F).  As this set was deleted on the introduction of the Super Major (set 9597 with one Super Major in it replaced 146F during 1961),  it could have had Super Majors in it at the end of its life, but they should have been with the later selection of implements.  It also has 2 x H2055 Tractor Driver, who was not released until 1961, right at the end of production for set 146F, when according to the catalogues it should contain 2x tractor linkage attachments for the roller. 

The set posted by britainstoys.nl throws up another anomaly however, in that it has the Cultivator (175F) instead of the linkage attachments.  This was never catalogued as part of that set, and was only introduced in 1960, thus making this a later version of the set.

It is all very confusing  ???::):D;D

I don't think so as 145F only contained one tractor with 3 implements. 

145F originally contained one E27N (either a rubber tyred 128F or a spade lug 127F),  and a Trailer Plough (138F), Tipping Trailer (130F) and Disc Harrow (135F).

From 1959 when the Power Major was introduced, 145F contained either a rubber tyred Power Major (172F), OR a spade lugged Power Major (171F), with a 3 Furrow Mounted Plough (173F), Tipping Trailer (130F), and Muledozer (174F).  This set was then deleted in 1961 when the Super Major was issued.

Your post has made me look at Andys' set again, however.   

Andys set  is quite certainly set 146F. It is possible that it may have had the wrong tractors put in it at some point (this set should contain the 'Power Majors' with the external lights).  As Andy pointed out that the original tractors they found in the set were played with, it is probable that they were not the original tractors in the set. 

It appears to be an early set from the implements point of view as the 146F with the DDNs should have the 3 Furrow Mounted Plough (173F) instead of the Trailer Plough (138F),  and the Muledozer(174F) in place of the Disc Harrow (135F).  As this set was deleted on the introduction of the Super Major (set 9597 with one Super Major in it replaced 146F during 1961),  it could have had Super Majors in it at the end of its life, but they should have been with the later selection of implements.  It also has 2 x H2055 Tractor Driver, who was not released until 1961, right at the end of production for set 146F, when according to the catalogues it should contain 2x tractor linkage attachments for the roller. 

The set p

osted by britainstoys.nl throws up another anomaly however, in that it has the Cultivator (175F) instead of the linkage attachments.  This was never catalogued as part of that set, and was only introduced in 1960, thus making this a later version of the set.

It is all very confusing  ???::):D;D

It would be interesting to see the shape of the holes in the box behind the cultivator

• 2 months later...

Well I mentioned in the latest purchase topic we had found something rather special.  :)

Here it is, Set 146F with first variation DDN's straight out of a toy shop and having only had minor repairs to box lid which we think was done pretty much when it arrived to the shop.

Although far from being cheap, we think we got a bargain considering what the set represents  :)

post-2-132639183781_thumb.jpg

post-2-132639183832_thumb.jpg

What a superb topic ....this is what ftf is all about for me  ;)

These are one of the weak areas of my collection.

I also have the 146F set with ford power major tractors tucked away in the loft. I actually bought it at Spalding the first year we ftf's weirdos all met up Oct 2005 ???

Andy I'm really jealous I have not ever even seen that set in the flesh  :'( :'(

Andy. I will echo Barrys' comments - thats what is all about for me too!  I will likely never come across, let alone afford such a lovely set so thank you very much for sharing it with us!  You lucky bu**er!  ;)

I think it proves there are still some about. I guess there many be several or dozens of old toy shops which have closed and old stock simply put into storage. Of which these kind of sets plus more are no doubt located.