MF 5175

MJB1

what a mixture....someone had there thinking cap on...the 175 was a superb tractor,i remember one her beside us way back in the 70s,not a lot of them were made,the 178 replaced them but 178 used the a4.248 and the 175 had that excellent a4.236,interesting pic

what a mixture....someone had there thinking cap on...the 175 was a superb tractor,i remember one her beside us way back in the 70s,not a lot of them were made,the 178 replaced them but 178 used the a4.248 and the 175 had that excellent a4.236,interesting picture

very true Brian... I had this conversation with Marcus the other day.... the 178 is hailed by some to be the BEST MF ever made... I have to agree with the engine too... although the A4.248 was even better than the 236.

Here is a fact for you... the A4.236 family of engines was derrived from the A6.354.. basically a balanced 4 cylinder version of that engine.  The family of engines was the A4.212 (fitted to the later 165's)... the .236 itself and the longer stroking (but same bore) A4.248... so effectively a short stroker, medium stroker and long stroker.. in total Perkins made over 2.1 million !!! of these units for all sorts of applications including marine, agricultural and road going vehicles.  second to the AD3.152 this is the best engine MF have ever used in my humble opinion.

As for the 5175... what a bittza ! - I thing they would be better to sell that cab seperately... and leave the 175 alone  :-\ - especially if they really want to get that sort of money for the sale

yea,id love a 175...ive used 165s with 203 and 212 engines,212 was a sharp responsive engine,also a 185 which was also a super tractor and 565,575 and 590 models and would find it hard to pick a favourite from the 212,236 and 248 as they were all individually superb.i remember fondly too a 168 with the 236 as the farmer up my road had one with rigid cab and multi power and got 25 years reliable service from it as his main tractor and when he sold it he got £1000 more for it than he paid for it 25 years ago...more and more 100 series MFs are now turning up restored at rallies and i love to see them..John Farnworth lists some 250 variants of the 100 series in his excellent book "MF 100 and 1000 series tractors"

Indeedy... I've recently visited John... he's got a new 500 series book out before the end of the year... I've seen the draft of it an it looks to be even better than the 100 and 1000 series book.  He's done some superb stuff... I recently purchased his 'Massey Legacy' books (volume 1 and 2)... briliant read.. even better than the 100/1000 book.

I've been Mf mad for some 35 years now... and to this day I am still discovering tractor models that I never knew existed  :o - if ever you are pasing cambridge you'll have to pop in and view my brochure collection... you'll not believe the things that MF put there name to over the years

Well maybe I'm in a minority here but I like it, something a bit different. If Massey had introduced the 5135, 5148, 5165, 5168, 5175,5178, 5185 and 5188 in 1975 you would all have been saying what a good idea to fit a Q cab to an already great tractor. A double winner that would really put Ford a long way down in second place! But no, pimping ones tractor is frowned upon :)

Does anyone know if they have used the pendulum pedals of a 500 series or the original 100 series set up?

the brakes would definetly have to altered somehow to suit this cab..if the 175 is an early model then it has dry brakes so dont know if the pendulum pedals would work there.hard to say which model it is,if you could see the steering drag arm at other side you could determine early or late.theres so many modifications to the 175 in pic like wheels,alternator etc..im wondering what he done with his lift quadrant,did he have to lift it or use an adaptor the 500 model his cab came off..

i would have thought it would have been easier to fit the 100 series bonnet & grill to a 575  :D

but here's a thought , it's a shame, as if he'd played dumb & said he knew nothing about it other that it came from the MF factory years ago ,there'd be an explosion of interest from people thing that just maybe it might just be a very forgotten ex works mock up test tractor , just like the 6cyl 185/188 they tried then apparently broke up