Chaser bins - are they worth it???

neilw

Are there any other reasons/benefits for chaser bins?? Apart from the compaction reduction, I cant see any other benefit to the combine emptying in to the chaser rather than the trailer, either on the move or waiting at fieldside. Does any one have any experiene of them, either negative or positive??

i done a harvest two seasons back on 5,000 acre place ground split up all over the place they run 300hp jd on chaser bin in feild ,i was on one tractor with 18t bailey trailer and there was another we could just keep up with two jd 30ft cut combines in wheat we just got in gateways and he would load us ,if we had been taking of combine we would have not kept up time you creep across feild with 18t behind across tramlines and rough feilds the system worked well i thought  i had my doubt s but was well suprised to keep up with the combines but we was all open tailboard and go tips happy days ;)

i done a harvest two seasons back on 5,000 acre place ground split up all over the place they run 300hp jd on chaser bin in feild ,i was on one tractor with 18t bailey trailer and there was another we could just keep up with two jd 30ft cut combines in wheat we just got in gateways and he would load us ,if we had been taking of combine we would have not kept up time you creep across feild with 18t behind across tramlines and rough feilds the system worked well i thought  i had my doubt s but was well suprised to keep up with the combines but we was all open tailboard and go tips happy days ;)

There's your reason right there. Speed and efficiency.

Keeping a combine moving is harvest rule no1, if long journeys are neccessary to move grain back to storage (either farm or to a mill/grain store) then a chaser bin is a good way to bunker the grain untill transport arrives.

So you have one machine to ensure the combine(s) can keep cutting, unload on the move and have a lesser compaction problem than four or five tractor/truck trailer combos.

i think theyre very expensive for what they are, surely would be better to purchase another trailer.

I theyre very gimmickey and sold on the back of reducing compaction i doubt it reduces compaction at all.

My old boss kept trailers on the headland, i had to drive  to the trailer, the neighbouring farms were not any quicker than us, you can easily save time in other ways.   

we only ever went round the egdes for the trailers full or empty, only went down the middle when loading, then straight to the end, only ever had to run round with the 1250 and 2 leg ripper to draw up the tracks, then plough, i can see the options when lorry loading for direct to store runs, save issues with that getting in and out ect, 

There's your reason right there. Speed and efficiency.

Keeping a combine moving is harvest rule no1, if long journeys are neccessary to move grain back to storage (either farm or to a mill/grain store) then a chaser bin is a good way to bunker the grain untill transport arrives.

So you have one machine to ensure the combine(s) can keep cutting, unload on the move and have a lesser compaction problem than four or five tractor/truck trailer combos.

Thers is your answer right there.

The chaser is also very handy for seed when sowing, very fast and a good capacity on board.

Also used for fertilizer too

Surely for the compaction it would need to be pulled by a tracked vehicle, so fuel becomes a consideration.

I can see how they'd be useful for keeping combines moving though, for 2 or more it's spot on....

There isn't any draft requirement so an artic or rigid on floats/duals would be fine. ;)

Wouldn't a chaser bin and artic lorry set up be a cheaper option in labour costs to running x amount of tractor/trailer combos? plus it would free up manpower for other work on the farm like cultivation on the big farms?

all that would work well mark providing you had room to either back an artic into the gateway or leave along the roadside , it's also a consideration that hire of an artic to wait till it had enough grain on to actually haul it anywhere !

a velcourt unit up here manages 3 CRs with just trailers.

Its just a question of being organised, a neighbouring  velcourt unit of similar always seems to be chasing round like arses depends on the manager at the end of the day.

In my time ive seen loads of machinery released and  firmly believe chaser bins are gimmicky who says they reduce compaction? The manufacturers,  ADAS and Silsoe  do nowhere near the amount of research work into machinery like they used to.

Its a bit like air assited sprayers reducing chemical usage and spray drift what a load of bull still there is no chemical on the market that has approval for air assited application, says it all i think.

It's the multiples of the above which can be a problem though.  As for roadways, that's fine in blocks of land but like Graham sid with his experience farms can cover some serious miles with road transport. With rented land/buildings the tenant doesn't always get the chance to improve systems either. You're making your view sound like regardless of the circumstances there is no place for a chaser bin anywhere, anytime. We all know that isn't the case.

What sprayer you on at the moment?

tris round your way with the big outfit landowners do they try to link fileds with tracks on their own land, a more direct route than roads?? know they used to round suffolk, not sure norfolk way, but we only had to cross one road on our land rest was all private tracks in house

theres got to be a reason as mentioned that people buy them, otherwise they wouldnt be arround, in the usa i can see benifits they cover huge distances so lorry transport is a real need, but here unless your a long way off then i do wonder

Much of the chalk downs and Salisbury Plain is crisscrossed with by-ways anyway to be honest. Probably why there arn't many around. Also there arn't many places where more than one 30ft+ combine work together. I've seen Fonthill running two CR's together with chaser bin in '07. Then this year a third CR was in the yard. Pewsey - Devizes Velcourt area have two CR's but seldom run together and cope with regular trailers with a pair for each combine. Output and distance is less here compared to further south.

Also depends as mentioned on the farm set up, one farmer I know on Cotswold brash just runs one Chaser and a Lexio 600.  Minimal on farm storage, chaser dumps to artics straight to Wiltshire grain where he have central storage. Cost of capital in on farm storage / infrastructure in todays world a big decision maker - remeber many farms got considerable grants for builtdings in the 70's. Today investing in central storage is probably the better bet as the handling and drying facilities are often unsurpassed.