rough ploughing

neilw

Is rough ploughing basically ploughing the middle of a field and leaving the headlands??

it would help if we knew what context the comment was made , after all i seen some absolutly terrible ground being ploughed & that was rough ploughing  i've also seen a few pics of markys ploughing as well & that didn't look none to smooth either  ;D ;D ;D ;D

basically it was in an article on reducing water run off, increasing infiltration of rain, by ploughing before the winter sets in. Also frosts break down the ground nicely. I have also seen it reffered to as "pre" ploughing. There is a link to the initial article below..

www.associationofriverstrusts.org.uk/.../Pinpoint%20-%2026.0%20Cultivation%20techniques%20to%20protect%20soils%20-...

basically the term rough ploughing is leaving an uneven finnish for the weather to break down over winter, not to be confused with bad ploughing which is down to poor ploughman skills >:(

a farm i worked on years ago would rough plough land coming into potatoes, so it had all winter to break down then we would plough it again a couple of weeks prior to planting to help the soil dry and get some fresh soil to work with, nowadays farmers seem happier to throw money at de-clodding.

of course this depends on soil type.

i've left ploughing to be wintered, but never heard the term rough ploughed ,but if you have the right soil, a springtine cultivator or dutch harrows can get a decent seedbed in one pass.............................hark at me you young chaps probably use the new powerharrow drill combination contraption for one pass  ;D ;D ;D ;D

pah !

one pass indeed :of  in my day we had to cover the ground 4 or 5 times to get a seedbed so fine it would cap after drilling  ::) then it required another pass with chain harrows to give the seed a chance to get through the crust  :-\  yep then we'd roll it  ???  & at about 6-7 inches height a quick grazing of sheep would be the order of the day !

aah the good old days  :)

good old day my one pass aas!

maybe if could have gotten away with one pass i wouldn't have back trouble like i do now  :(

does anyone put sheep on corn fields anymore ?

is it usual not to plough the headlands when leaving it for the winter?? I assume this is done for drainage reasons....

if we get sent to blacked fields, we blacken them. no point going back to it. sure if its fit to plough then plough it

You may see the field drilled with a Vaderstad later on. Then when done, plough the headlands and drill them pretty soon afterwards. Not a terribly common method but Vaderstad Rapide seed drills are know for their less than kind packing of the headland and this method can help to avoid unneccessary compaction.

im not a fan of these 1 pass systems for drilling, it may look good but ploughing and seedbed hasnt had time to settle its like forcing the soil not working with it, just me and my old fashioned ways yet proven.

that depends on when u plough and when u sow, our ploughing usually has a couple o weeks to harden before sowing but this year ploughing is late so won't have as long before the drill however with the forecast it migh just have a while ha ha!

i've left ploughing to be wintered, but never heard the term rough ploughed ,but if you have the right soil, a springtine cultivator or dutch harrows can get a decent seedbed in one pass.............................hark at me you young chaps probably use the new powerharrow drill combination contraption for one pass  ;D ;D ;D ;D

pah !

one pass indeed :of  in my day we had to cover the ground 4 or 5 times to get a seedbed so fine it would cap after drilling  ::) then it required another pass with chain harrows to give the seed a chance to get through the crust  :-\  yep then we'd roll it  ???  & at about 6-7 inches height a quick grazing of sheep would be the order of the day !

aah the good old days  :)

good old day my one pass aas!

maybe if could have gotten away with one pass i wouldn't have back trouble like i do now  :(

does anyone put sheep on corn fields anymore ?

Go over the ground 4 or 5 times now with a 7 tonne tractor the ground would be in the similar hardness to basalt!!