The adventures of Marky and Penny... new to me on Sunday 15th August 2010

Lord Ferguson

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm.... I think it's actually a TE20 hitch Kev.... oh well... I guess it was once on the machine... and that's god enough to me really... I don't know if you noticed when you put it on, but it was cracked - I also had that welded up when I had the work done

On TVO mixture  I use 4 gallons paraffin, I gallon petrol and I don't bother with the 2 quarts diesel ( 1/2 pint I suppose) any more since I think it oils the plugs. Last one I did on P/P was a 26 mile road run over forest tracks...never again.

A quart is actually 2 pints, as in a quarter of a gallon.

Anybody remember the Whitbread advert of the 70's, Whitbread big head, Trophy Bitter, the pint that thinks it's a quart. (set to music of course) and then a double sized glass of beer magically appeared on the table.

OK so I am old..............but I have a good memory.........sometimes ::) ::)::)

Oh well maybe that is why mine oiled the plugs Mike....must be 2  by 1/4 pints as in the small cartons of double cream etc...never was very good we numbers ;D ;D

Sorry too young to remember that advert ;) ;)

No the battery was on her when I bought her. I just took it off and charged it. I never had any problems with her starting at all, even though I did not know half the distributor was missing!

It's still a good battery Kev... although I've just invested in a trickle charger for her as it looses charge over a few months (I guess they all do that)...

I've alsdo been and bought the parafin today... wish me luck tonight in mixing up (well.. watching Mrs F mix up that is  :) )

I'm working on the basis of this...

4 gallons Parafin

1 gallon unleaded Petrol

1pt Red diesel

If you see a large puff of smoke and a mushroom cloud go up over Bar Hill you'll know I've got it wrong  :-[:D :D

Right... scrub all of that... done some more digging.. googling and ringing round... the general consensus of opinion is that Bill is right about the no diesel bit... and that TVO should be between...

1 part petrol and 1 28 second heating oil (Parafin) ... and...

2 parts petrol and 1 part 28 second heating oil (Parafin)  :of :of

No Diesel... and no two-stroke oil as suggested by some also  :P

Ah ha Unk... that is blooming interesting... do you know the history of said hitch mate ??? from new perhaps ???

Similar to mine... but not exactly the same.. although I have seen some of these hitches sold on Westlakes website recently I believe  :-\

Thanks Unkle John... interesting subject this I reckon mate.. So Penny's hitch is looking more genuine as time rolls on  ???

I've just been in the garage mixing TVO and 'fettling' Penny.. it's the first time I've had a real good look at her and I must say she appears to be better each time I look.. there is no question that she's a genuine 4800 hour machine and she's not done a lot of hard work. The bonnet is genuinely dent free.. even the little rubber bump stops are still on the service hatch... I've been in the tank with a torch and, aside from a bit of water (we had a day here in January where the temperature suddenly fell below the dewpoint and every piece of metal outdoors was dripping with water) the tank is like new. I've taken the sedimenter bowl off, cleaned it and refitted... drained both tanks, taken the water out with a syringe and a piece of pipe (clever hey... saved taking the tank off)... refilled and inspected for leaks.  The vapourising heat shield has now been refitted and she's ready for her first run on TVO for some considerable years I'd imagine.

Right... scrub all of that... done some more digging.. googling and ringing round... the general consensus of opinion is that Bill is right about the no diesel bit... and that TVO should be between...

1 part petrol and 1 28 second heating oil (Parafin) ... and...

2 parts petrol and 1 part 28 second heating oil (Parafin)  :of :of

No Diesel... and no two-stroke oil as suggested by some also  :P

I'm well chuffed if today I got summit right...been up to my arsx alligators asking well ....stupid questions...good job we have no opening windows on the second floor or that said auditor could have been on a downward route.

The question that got me was "are there any frauds or irregularities in this company"... to which I responded "do you think I would be working here if I had or knew about one"....he got the message and went back to the room to waste more of our company money.... I really do not suffer fools...but maybe you have gathered that over the years on here ;) ;)

It's great news that she is going to run on the fuel she was designed to run on. ;D :'(

Indeedy Kev... I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.... initial test flight is at lunchtime when I get home from work  ;D

oh... and well done Bill... I've always said there is a lot we can learn from our elders... from those much more senior than us... for those of advancing years... where their multiple decades spent on the planet learning and sponge like absorption can provide us younger folk with the gift of wisdom.... where.................... shall I go on  :-[

:P;D