A few schoolboy questions from a non-farmer

MuirHillyBilly

I agree, it seems farmers and contractors will not buy a tractor no matter how good it is if it does not look like a tractor!, many machines have been produced that have not met this standard like Trantor , FC Countys even MB-tracs and JCB fastracs took a while to get approval as they looked a bit odd!.

I remember my father telling me that some people hated it when the first cabbed tractors became available because they looked different. :laugh:

having driven Muir Hills the turning circle was better than that of the County due to the drive shaftfor the front axle  being down the centre of the tractor, unlike County which was to the side. equal sized wheel tractors have better traction weight is distributed over both axles, and also reduced compaction.

The cost and manouverability of equal sized 4wd tractors was there downfall although i never had a problem turning the Muir Hill around. With modern 4 wheel steering systems im surprised more manufacturers havent adopted equal wheel 4wds, so it is probably down to cost. It is interesting that Fendt have larger diameter front wheels than other manufacturers.

What Muir Hills did you drive, I've only ever been allowed to sit in a 121, 141 and 171  :(

Have MB Tracs ever become really popular over here, they are obviously commonplace on in northern europe but I would also imagine they are pretty expensive?

Also I think manufacturers have shied away from the large equal wheel format from a tyre wear perspective. On a lot of farms now its common place to see a 180hp tractor, even 200 in a lot of cases shunting trailers around yards. Aside from the turning circle etc tyre wear must be a big factor, just think how much longer a 2wd tractors front tyres last to a 4wd  :P

Lee: The drainage contractors down the lane from us have 3 working MH 121's and another in bits in the shed. just thought you would like to know

Also I think manufacturers have shied away from the large equal wheel format from a tyre wear perspective. On a lot of farms now its common place to see a 180hp tractor, even 200 in a lot of cases shunting trailers around yards. Aside from the turning circle etc tyre wear must be a big factor, just think how much longer a 2wd tractors front tyres last to a 4wd  :P

Lee: The drainage contractors down the lane from us have 3 working MH 121's and another in bits in the shed. just thought you would like to know

Where do you live Pat?

Have MB Tracs ever become really popular over here, they are obviously commonplace on in northern europe but I would also imagine they are pretty expensive?

During the 80s quite a few MB-tracs was sold in the Uk, usually 1300s and the smaller 1000s around my area, i seem to remember contractors liked them, they was well built and powerful tractors in there time. Sadley in 1991 Mercedes Benz ceased tractor production, they was expensive but they was quality machines.