Classic Britains Saunderson forklift repiar help!!.

Steve P

I have a nice britains saunderson forklift the model is in ok conditon though the string that lifts the carrrier on the mast is broken, i have tried to repair it but i am baffled as to how it works. May i ask can someone explain if it is possible to repair and if so how to do it please, it is a shame as the model is in good nick apart from the bleeding string!!..

I think that the string just ties on to the centre of the rear of the forks and through a little hole in the shaft at the top that the winding wheel on the side of the mast and then just knotted to stop it coming out of the hole, it then just winds the string around the shaft as you turn the wheel on the mast and lifts the forks. They used the same thread that was used on the Land Rover winch and the helicopter winch.

Thankyou all so much for your help, right have i got this right? thread the string into the hole at the top of the mast then tie it to the plug on the other side in a knot?..  Is the string tied between the main mast and the carrier mast or behind both as for the life of me i cannot see how i can thread and tie the string between the masts?? :-\