No 9535 Britain's potato harvester - what does one do now??

BC

Today I was photographing some more models. I took this one out of the box and well I wish I had not now. First one roller fell out. As I tried to replace it more and more pieces seemed to fall off or apart. Don't know if others have had a similar problem with this model ???

Don't quite know what do do with this model now :-\

ST838762.jpg

ST838763.jpg

ST838764.jpg

Well not having the best of days today chaps. When I was loading on to PB it crashed and then when I started again I discovered a bunch of photos had posted to my main album. I then moved them to an appropriate Britain's album so I actually thought that would break the links but when I looked back in I could see them.

I have deleted the old links and posted the new links so hopefully you can see them now.

I'm rather disappointed that this one has fallen to pieces really since well it was a nice looking model.

it looks like nothing has broken bill,did it just fall to bits?,if so just a case of putting everything back,not the easiest,but take your time and im sure you can fix it

A lot of the small plastic pieces are cracked and broken Paul. A job beyond my capabilities .....too big fingers to work on 1/32 and not enough patience for that I'm afraid.

thats a shame,must be somebody near you who can help,as you said shame you took it out of the box

Yes I wish I had not taken it out of the box Paul...but then again one can't turn  the clock back. Anyway I decided stop and calm down and I put all the little broken pieces into an empty "tic tac" box and put it back in its box before I did any more damage ;D ;D ;D ;D

Slime...good word Tim...when I was handling the model all I could feel was "stickyness"...maybe some sort of plastic reaction as in some of the older Britain's tractor tyres and rims and wheel rot ???

Well Brian yesterday things went from bad to worse and I was almost on the verge of throwing it against the driveway in rage and then I thought calm down Bill its only a model and if no use then someone could probably use it on a scrapheap or a workshop layout. I then packed all the broken pieces away and back into the box.

Thanks for the offer Brian because that kinda work is well beyond my capabilities ;) ;)

That's a shame Bill, always fancied one of those older Britains potato harvesters. A similar situation occurred with one of my Dad's childhood Britains toys, the blue and red Foster Lister elevator. I still have the remains of this model tucked away in a draw, again the rubber elevator band has reacted with the frame it's supposed to run along, doesn't make for a pretty sight.

Well yes David I suppose some of these things are to be expected from older models. I too had problems with a childhood elevator and you will see there is some kitchen roll packing out the stretched belt at the bottom end

8e1e4b1f.jpg

• 1 month later...

As others have pointed out the plastic on the Ransomes Harvester is very fragile, and seems to become more so over time. The 'slime' I've encountered is usually a previous owner's attempt to lubricate the moving belts with oil, but only weakens the plastic further. DO NOT LUBRICATE!