Classic baler problem?..

Steve P

I have just dug out from the attic my old Britains NH baler, its in good nick but from the day i took it out of the box many moons ago it would not work, i suppose this question as been asked countless times but how do you get these old balers to work as they supposed to, my 5 year old son got very angry with it earlier as no matter how he tried the baler seized up while being towed behind a tractor, just like i did when i was his age!, is there a way to fix this??. :'(

FIRST OF ALL MAY i ASK WHAT DOES WORK ON THE BALER

Do the wheels turn?

If so does the walker in the chamber move?

Does the floof inside where the bales go move from side to side?

Lets start from there for a starter

Yes Marcus is right ,the plastic gears will have "feed scars" from the moulding process that protrude from their perimeters and act as stops as they come round into contact with each other, that's assuming they rotate freely for part of their rotation(?)you may need a very sharp modelling knife(etc) to dig out between the teeth.The metal cast parts may also have steps in them that bite when they should be smooth flowing.

Far easier to cure than knotter problems!! ;)

Cheers chaps  8),  and thanks MJB1 as i followed your advice and now my old baler works almost perfect with the aid of the magical wd40 :laugh:.. My son and i earlier had a great time baling the living room carpet!, amazing a toy/model that has lived in the attic for the last 10 years has a new lease of life it seems. :)

• 4 months later...

Always had bother with the cogs on my Howard rotary manure spreader.I have a newer one that performs very well

Same here. The '80-87 orange one's tend to lock up and would require one to manually turn the wheels. Best for display only nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...