Corgi's

BC

Today I was having a tidy in the loft and came upon a box with my surviving Corgi's non of which are boxed.

ST839001.jpg

I recall having a set which included the Massey Ferguson 165 with loader below. Has engine noise as I found out again today when I had a little play  ;) ;)

ST839004.jpg

ST839005.jpg

In addition in that set there was a trailer with a set of hakes. I seem to have two sets of hakes so I'm wondering if I maybe had a separate trailer as well.

ST839006.jpg

ST839007.jpg

Also in the set was this Tandem Disc Harrow Plough Trailer (71) was relreased in July 1967 (per Wikipedia)

ST839008.jpg

ST839009.jpg

Now I think this green Land Rover might have been in the set as well but not the canopy since that was off an earlier buff coloured one and I must have painted it light green.

ST839010.jpg

ST839011.jpg

ST839012.jpg

This earlier horse box in buff I recall came with a buff coloured Land Rover but I suspect that must have been scrapped when the green landy came along.

ST839013.jpg

ST839014.jpg

Now this next one was in the set and I'm sure it had some animals ( calves  :-\  ) as well

Wikipedia says

The Dodge Kew Fargo Livestock Transporter (484) was issued in April 1967. This was a large animal transporter based on an American Dodge truck which featured an opening bonnet and carried a cargo of plastic pigs.

One bonnet catch is now broken, the tail dorr is off and the sides have been pulled in

ST839015.jpg

ST839016.jpg

ST839017.jpg

Now this was a Major but I must have wanted it to be an MF and applied some red paint :-[

Wikipedia says

A new tractor was introduced in May 1961. The Fordson Power Major Tractor (56) featured steering operated by the steering wheel and was finished in Ford's traditional blue. A plough that could be attached to the tractor (57) was issued at the same time, and the two were available together as GS18.

I do recall having a blue coloured plough so I may well have had the set GS18

I don't know if I should try and remove the paint and repaint or just leave as it is. Either way I don't suppose it or in fact any of the Corgi's I have are of much monetary value only. More sentimental value to me really.

ST839018.jpg

ST839019.jpg

Finally I recall the MF 165 had a transport box, some milk cans and sacks and a man carrying the sacks.

Wikipedia says

The Dodge Kew Fargo Livestock Transporter (484) was issued in April 1967. This was a large animal transporter based on an American Dodge truck which featured an opening bonnet and carried a cargo of plastic pigs. The Tandem Disc Harrow Plough Trailer (71) was relreased in July 1967 and an updated Agricultural Gift Set (GS5) in October 1967, which featured some of the more recent releases such as the Dodge Kew Fargo and the Massey Ferguson 165 tractor with scoop.

ST839021.jpg

;) When I first read the heading Bill,I thought oh no Bill's been out and pinched the Queen's dog's  ;D ,you being on Royal Deeside an all, ;D ;D

Regards

Joe.

Well Joe I like dogs but I would not have one of my own and certainly not a Corgi. I recall a neighbour at Peterculter had one and  it never touched me it could be a vicious character.

Anyway back on topic what is the scale of the Corgi range ???

Well Joe I like dogs but I would not have one of my own and certainly not a Corgi. I recall a neighbour at Peterculter had one and  it never touched me it could be a vicious character.

Anyway back on topic what is the scale of the Corgi range ???

Think it varies Bill.  Corgi have always a "name" for not being true to scale as they make models to fit existing boxes.  Roughly 1:43 give or take

After photographing these Corgi's yesterday I had a look on ebay to see what was on there since I have never really looked for any in the past. I saw this MF165 and loader unboxed and was actually surprised it made as much as it did.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260882621113?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1287

The agricultrual Corgi toys are quite populr Bill. My Dad normally sells at least one or two per show he attends. The big gift sets are particularly expensive nowdays! We have the one you posted from the catalogue scan in the next auction.

I must admit I have not seen many Corgi's at any of the shows I have been at Andy,but then gain my eyes tend to zoom in on Britain's. I recall seeing a similar set to the one I posted in one of the tractor magazines a few years ago and I think it made a few hundred pounds. It will be interesting to see what it makes in the next auction.

Corgi's are not only popular with the farm toy collector's it seems which is (i believe) the reason why these fetch quite high prices at auctions and ebay. In particular the gift sets, but also the boxed models. I have no.55 , 56 , 67 , 72 and 74 in my collection(all Ford(son)s). All boxed except for the halftrack fordson as these normally go for 150 pounds. The other models still go for aroudn 60-80 pounds boxed and gift sets seldom go below 150..

So better see if you didnt accidently put the boxes somewhere else instead of throwing them away  ;)

I have quite an extensive range of the Corgi agricultural models but alas none of the multi 'gift sets'. The Fordson Power Major models are of particular interest as there are many variations, wheel hub types and colour, steering, exhaust position, hydraulic lift and steering wheel and of course, the half-track. There are 2 different ploughs, the red one with yellow bodies was supplied only with the Major and plough set, Gift Set 18, Another was the Major and 'beast carrier' set, the trailer being the same body as fitted to the Dodge Kew Fargo lorry. The blue and silver plough was issued on its own and in a set with the Ford 5000. Variants of this latter model also came with a Fleming? rear ditcher/digger and also a side mounted version and there was another with a rubber belted operating crop elevator/conveyor. All the Corgi farm stuff I have is boxed but the boxes, or the majority of, are replicas, I was fortunate to aquire a couple of CD discs on which are about 500 Corgy box templates which are good quality scans of the originals, opened and flattened out, all correctly sized although some of the larger boxes need to be printed on two or more sheets of box card in order to make up the complete box. I know that a lot of collectors hate and shun 'replica' boxes but at least they house the models safeley and you can store them better. I've even got templates for Dinky stuff as well. Going back to the Corgi Fordson Major, it states on the box in a list of other models available at that time, a Fordson Major with front-end loader, the loader would have been the same one as on the MF165, with manure fork. None of these have ever been found and it's believed that none were actually produced.

Tim has a wealth of knowledge in all collection areas it seems. I can only add that the halftrack fordsons had either black or grey tracks and that Clifford (Series) also made a replica of the fordson major, you can read it on the hubs.

i can try and add some pictures of the models i have in this topic. As i am working on my website, i have part of my collection on the old site and part on the new site...

Clifford replica

0094-A.jpg

Fordson Major (55)

43-Corgi-Fordson_Major-55-A.jpg

Fordson Major halftrack(54)

43-Corgi-Fordson_Major-54-A.jpg

Ford 5000 with side bucket (74)

0146-A.jpg

0146-F.jpg

Ford 5000 with backhoe (72)

0171-A.jpg

0171-F.jpg

Ford 5000 (67)

43-Corgi-Ford_5000-A.jpg

The Fordson Major with the paler orange, if you can call it orange, was the early first production model, second came the darker or more proper orange wheels, the third and last production model had the plastic rear wheels and the exhaust moved from the manifold outside 'peg' to the hole in the bonnet. I can't remember which was wich in timeline but the steering changed from the centre rod steer direct from the steering wheel with the flat bar type likage on the axle to the wire link type to the skinnier type axle, the latter being the later model I tink. This model also had a 'top-link' that resembled the pull tag of a zip fastener. Interesting about the Clifford copy, there is also, an example of one that I have, of the Corgi Fordson Major made of plastic in Hong Kong, this one has a front loader and muck fork, the 'tin-work' is orange and the rest of the tractor is silver, I've only ever seen one of these. Keep your eyes out for the Corgi Fordson Major that has red plastic wheels, as on the MF165, these are very rare as they were using up left over parts from the MF right at the end of production around 1967.

thank you Tim, i believe i have the version with red centre wheels as well in my collection somewhere... definately with different steering..

the other plastic replica model, was that made by Minialuxe by any chance? (below a picture of one in my collection)

43-Minialuxe-Fordson_Major-A.jpg

or maybe "Bluebox" but i think those are a tad bit larger, came in different colours and with/without attachments and front loaders..

32-Bluebox-Fordson_Major-A.jpg

It would be the 'Blue Box' one as it's the same as the orange and silver one in the box in your second picture but there's no box with mine.

There were two variants of the Corgi Massey combine as well, early one had yellow metal wheel hubs, metal header tines and the reel was operated by a rubber band on two un-painted 'pulley wheels', bottom one had a large inner flange that contacted the surface, like the carpet, and a smaller one fixed to the end of the reel. Second type, last of the production, had red plastic wheels, again from the MF165, and the header reel had plastic yellow tines and operated by the same 'pulley' on the reel but driven this time by a rubber tyred wheel that contacted both the floor surface and the reel pulley.

There are several variants of the Massey Ferguson 65 also. Pink skid unit and wheels with pale red bonnet and mudguards, silver seat and silver metal steering wheel, bonnet decals with black lettering. Second type, pale fawn skid unit and wheels, darker red with either silver, red or copper seat and either black or silver plastic steering wheel. (copper seat is the rarest). The one that came with the front loader had either the bonnet decals on the tractor or, more uncommonly, on the loader arms and nothing on the bonnet. The loaders were either silver or fawn in colour. I think there was a bit of silver in the decals. All these loaders had the scoop fitted, it was not until the 165 and loader came out that they were fitted with the dung fork.

the first "yellow-ochre" wheels on the Power Major are cast metal, I still have mine from my childhood (first one, that is!), the yellow & red plough was available separately, as again I have my original and box.

When the steering became Ackerman type with the separate "track-rod" the tractor became a Super Major with the headlights in the front grille as opposed to the previous one having them on the sides but still was decalled as Power Major,  (doooooooh!). The early ones (proper Power Majors) had yellow plastic lift rods and black 3 point linkage without a pick-up hook, just a turned-up steel hook like the Dinky tractors of the time.

There seem to be quite a few red-wheeled ones around just as there are orange wheeled MF65s, indeed my one with these orange wheels is a fork on the loader type and an early one as I got it from my Aunt the first Xmas it came out, though it was some time after the shovel loader was issued. The Combine also had the range of wheel colours/types (including 165 style) in its production life.

My half-track is also a very early one with yellow-ochre plastic wheels, though I have others since with orange. These too have the Power & Super Major variants, though their backends are the same without linkage.