County Tractors at work and play

BC

Well a huge thank you to David, ( walterderwent ) for helping me find this E R F picture,I knew I had seen it somewhere and today I re-discovered it,it is in John Hull's fantastic book " The Best Job Ever " recalling the many years he worked for County,as stated earlier in this thread County did in fact used Ford Trans-continentals,but one day the driver,who was makeing his meal on a gas stove in the cab knocked over the said stove badly burning himself and ending up in Hospital,totalled the Fordy,so they ended up with the E R F,

CountysERF.jpg

Regards

Joe.

Well a huge thank you to David, ( walterderwent ) for helping me find this E R F picture,I knew I had seen it somewhere and today I re-discovered it,it is in John Hull's fantastic book " The Best Job Ever " recalling the many years he worked for County,as stated earlier in this thread County did in fact used Ford Trans-continentals,but one day the driver,who was makeing his meal on a gas stove in the cab knocked over the said stove badly burning himself and ending up in Hospital,totalled the Fordy,so they ended up with the E R F,

Regards

Joe.

Great to discover the story behind the County E.R.F, despite the circumstances surrounding it Joe, really must invest in John Hull's book. :)

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the clarification John. Its been a while since that photo was taken and I could not see a County name on the tractor.

From my rusty old memory; the axle fitted to the tractor in the picture is a Schindler aftermarket conversion. This tractor is actually an 8200. When I was at S.T.'s we converted this one for one of our customers. I think Nigel Ford also had one on a Ford 76-?

The 8200 used the Ford 8000, TW 10 engine, whereas the 8100 used the Ford industrial / truck engine.

8200withSchindlerAxle.jpg

Edited by britainswomble

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Richard has your Bomford dozer blade got a serial/model number plate on it? Also does it have any decals/markings to the back of the blade? Reason for asking is I removed one from my 1124 and there appeared to be some decals/markings to the back of the blade but now virtually all gone, there is no serial/model number plate affixed anywhere or any obvious attachment point. At some point its going back on and I would like to re-decal/mark it. 

On the plus side it does have a golf ball jammed in the frame work!

IMG_20111023_9999_25_zps7a5bb8aa.jpg

Did anyone else go to the Conversions Day on 30th September?

Richard has your Bomford dozer blade got a serial/model number plate on it? Also does it have any decals/markings to the back of the blade? Reason for asking is I removed one from my 1124 and there appeared to be some decals/markings to the back of the blade but now virtually all gone, there is no serial/model number plate affixed anywhere or any obvious attachment point. At some point its going back on and I would like to re-decal/mark it. 

On the plus side it does have a golf ball jammed in the frame work!

IMG_20111023_9999_25_zps7a5bb8aa.jpg

Did anyone else go to the Conversions Day on 30th September?

Hi Paul,

I've never noticed any signs of a serial no. plate or stamps on it, tbh.........and the back of the blade is a bit rusty and no signs of any decals.

I had thought of sand-blasting and respraying the blade assy, it sits outdoors all the time (not fixed to the tractor) and is collecting a bit of corrosion.

Its surprising just how heavy them things are, many many moons ago I went off to level off a bit of ground around where a tall tree had blown over - it was a bit sidling there, its true, anyway with the nose downhill at anything other than verticle and we were all of a sudden on 3 legs  :of  and having to drop the blade down to return the tyre to terra-firma.

In the end really the set up is really only useful for lighter work such as pushing over heaps of soil, visibility of the blade edge is impossible so you can't see how deep you are.......then if the load is too great we get 4 pits from the tyres and you have to back-blade to fill them in  ;D

1004blade1.jpg

• Like 1

Walter, Anfield, Hicksy and Olly,

Hope I am not “shang-hai’ing†this thread too much……and forgive me if you have seen some of these in other topics….

Anyway here’s a couple more pics of the Countys since I have had them

The 1004 arrived in Autumn ’97 off a small beef farm in the neighbourhood

Just as it arrived.........

1004December96.jpg

pair of s/h wings and a different pre-cleaner

Dec961004.jpg

A bit of painting one winter……

cABoff.jpg

10041.jpg

Edited by RichardJW1

This is my 1174 when it was about 2 years old before it went to one of its previous owners……it was taken at D Gittins yard (County dealer in them days) they had swapped the 13.6x38 wheels for 16.9x34s.

It wasn’t until 2004 when I got hold of it……

11741982.jpg

1174baling2.jpg

latehay2.jpg

balingfriday3.jpg

balingfriday.jpg

Edited by RichardJW1