Is It Just Me? Britains Disappointment...

bigbear

Only one way to bring the message home - don't buy a faulty model and tell the shopkeeper WHY you are not buying it! In my experience, toy shop owners are a canny breed and they won't want to mess around with shoddy goods!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one way to bring the message home - don't buy a faulty model and tell the shopkeeper WHY you are not buying it! In my experience, toy shop owners are a canny breed and they won't want to mess around with shoddy goods!

Bought online so didn't get to chose and will be at my expense to send back! You live and learn......

Bought online so didn't get to chose and will be at my expense to send back! You live and learn......

That's bad form on the seller's part and legally if you buy online (or mail order) they are obliged to accept the item's return, followed by either a replacement or refund - even if you just change your mind! Personally, I knew my customers wouldn't like the way the NH had turned out (and I certainly didn't), so that's why they've gone right back to my supplier.

Having emailed Tomy with my complaint and views on the current Britains models(!), I got a very polite reply, saying how sorry they were that I was unhappy and that my comments had been passed to R&D.

It's something, I suppose...

Bought my kane trailer today,surprise surprise big bloody blue smear up the yellow paint,some eejits been juggling the paintbrush when working on my trailer...

Now I thought the body's and silage extensions on these were plastic and therefore made in blue and yellow , so why would they paint them ?

You gota love the oldes tough.

IMG_0667-1-1.jpg

DSCF2392-1.jpg

DSCF2397-1.jpg

Great pictures.I have all but the Ford in the top pic,sure I have the Fiat halftrack in the middle(might have one of the others) & in the picture above,I definately have the Ford on the right.

How did anyone ever rate the lime green MercedesBenz Trac1500 in marks out of ten?

As for the original topic,I'm a little undecided about new/present day Britains stock.The front wheels on my NH T6070 don't sit in line with each other & diverge when it sits idle.Shame you can't get into the models these days & add a driver either.........

Edited by Phipps

Great pictures.I have all but the Ford in the top pic,sure I have the Fiat halftrack in the middle(might have one of the others) & in the picture above,I definately have the Ford on the right.

How did anyone ever rate the lime green MercedesBenz Trac1500 in marks out of ten?

As for the original topic,I'm a little undecided about new/present day Britains stock.The front wheels on my NH T6070 don't sit in line with each other & diverge when it sits idle.Shame you can't get into the models these days & add a driver either.........

...want a bet? I am sure there are plenty who will tell that they have done just that!

Now I thought the body's and silage extensions on these were plastic and therefore made in blue and yellow , so why would they paint them ?

I never really thought about that,if thats the case where the hell did the big streak of blue come from?

...want a bet? I am sure there are plenty who will tell that they have done just that!

Must say I don't fancy trying to prise my way into either the New Holland T6070 or the MF 7480.They're nowhere near as easy to get into,remove the cab in the way the 1980s stuff was.

The only Britains driver that I could get to fit in the 1056XL was the old combine/Landrover driver, thus: (sorry about the dust)

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

Not a lot of head room left though!

Thanks. I spose in their day ,Britains were the best at making model tractors up threw the 70's and 80's. So id rate the MB 1500 a great model back in that era. Only downfall was its narrow wheels ,but would have made a great crop spraying tractor.

Heres my one. Quiet like it actully. Ok im going off subject. This is about the new stuff. ;D

IMG_0712-1.jpg

Edited by justy 46

It's okay Justy,My apologies to everyone else for taking this off track as it were.I've actually been glueing my MB1500 back up as one of the green "fender" pieces that hangs over the wheel beyond the door was loose.Don't recognise that MF tractor but I definately have the Ford somewhere.Among the others are a Volvo BM,a newer Volvo 805Valmet ,a maroon/brick red Fiat halftrack,Deutz DX110,MF2680,MF595 with the double rear wheels,the Ford pictured & a Renault(one with the clicking noise).All are still with original cabs & driver figures.There are two smaller,un-named "yard" tractors that I think are based on the Ford 6600,minus a cab each.

Anyway,discussing new items,does anyone know if the Britains Case IH Steiger 535 is any good?Seems quite a big monster designed with heavy duty work in mind

I'm also tempted into buying the IH Maxxum 125,as this has a removable cab.........

Only looking into the idea of a few tractors(about 5 or 6)

Edited by Phipps

The Steiger 535 is ok for a Britains model - it's worth having a close look when you buy one as some of them have quite a range of different shades of red in use across the different bodywork and plastic parts. Front lights are also stickers rather than plastic jewels. I did a review of the wheeled versions (with their NH siblings) a few months back in Model Farmer if you have back issues of that.

Both Siku and Universal Hobbies are bringing out a Quadtrac version this year, so might be worth hanging on for one of them if you prefer more detail on your models.

Checked today & both our nearest stockists(same shop in different towns) have the Steiger 535 at £21.99.

I've seen it online at £18.99 delivered,but at least the same shop had a rear-mounted Spearhead Orbital mower for £8 I'll find useful.Shame was that there was so little else of Britains stock other than some bale sets,fences & a few cattle.

Edited by Phipps

• 2 weeks later...

It's okay Justy,My apologies to everyone else for taking this off track as it were.I've actually been glueing my MB1500 back up as one of the green "fender" pieces that hangs over the wheel beyond the door was loose.Don't recognise that MF tractor but I definately have the Ford somewhere.Among the others are a Volvo BM,a newer Volvo 805Valmet ,a maroon/brick red Fiat halftrack,Deutz DX110,MF2680,MF595 with the double rear wheels,the Ford pictured & a Renault(one with the clicking noise).All are still with original cabs & driver figures.There are two smaller,un-named "yard" tractors that I think are based on the Ford 6600,minus a cab each.

Anyway,discussing new items,does anyone know if the Britains Case IH Steiger 535 is any good?Seems quite a big monster designed with heavy duty work in mind

I'm also tempted into buying the IH Maxxum 125,as this has a removable cab.........

Only looking into the idea of a few tractors(about 5 or 6)

That Massey is a Britains MF 362 from around 1990. I also have the following older Britains tractors.

MF 595 Dual wheel

MF 2680

MF 3680

MF 135 Industrial with loader

Ford 5000 Force( no cab rounded rear mudguards)

Ford 6600

Ford 7710

Ford TW20

Ford 5610

Ford TW25

Ford 2120

Volvo Valmet 805

Volvo 2654

Valmet 8750

Fendt 615LSA

MB 1500

Deutz DX110

Deutz DX92 dual wheel

Renualt 145-14 dual wheel

Fiat 90-90 dualwheel (brown)

Fiat 880 (orange)

Fiat 880 half track

2 x Claas Jag 690 harvesters with maize header & silage pickup header

MF 760 Combine

Plus a nice few of the tractors on todays shop shelfs.

Cheers. You can see them all in Justy 46 collection on the forum.

Cheers Justy.Ironically I had an email this morning telling me a Britains Massey Ferguson 3680 with dual rearwheels,a white cab & no box is on it's way from Somerset to me today.

Paid a little short of £20 for it,but the model appears 100% & won't stand out from the rest of the stock.

This is the last of the 1980s tractors I was hunting,so just a 760 Combine & a couple of implements from that era to find now.

Edited by Phipps

i think that their better than they were, 5 yrs or so back they were shocking and siku was a far better model/toy. Now its going the other way. take the 956/1056 they would of used the same skid unit, the same wheels and so on a few years back , but thats changed. the only thing thats disapointing is their implements range. no new plough thats got to be one of the most used thing on a farm. fold up cultavator is so dated now. just by changing the colour, does it make it better NO. even children are picking up on this now which says something. Qc is something else altogether.

I quite like the fold-up cultivator,as this was quite new when I got into the toys(showing my age now ;D ).

But you're quite correct Nathan.

One thing I noticed the other day was the similarity between my New Holland T6070 & the Case 125 Maxxum.Same chassis,cab + interior,rear hitch.About the only alterations were colour(red instead of blue,obviously),the front bonnet from the cab to headlights including the front weight & the wheels are silver grey instead of white.

Know what you mean about a plough-Good job I still have my 1985 Kverneland vari-width one in red.

In fairness to Britains, those are about the only differences on the real Case and NH machines. They're both made in Basildon on the same production line with the same basic spec - engines, gearbox, cab etc are all shared. Just styling and colour is really all that's significantly different between them.

The Case machines for certain markets used to be made at Basildon and the rest were made at the Steyr factory St Valentin in Austria but in recent years all Case production has been moved to the Steyr factory.

The Steyr 6135 is also a rebadged T6000.

I did a little digging and it appears that US market Pumas are built at Basildon because the "Made in the UK" sticker is a marketing advantage. All other markets, including the UK market, are built at St Valentin as far as I can ascertain.