Bidirectional Tractor...

Fendt Fahrer

I have had to ditch my plan of finally being abkle to buy a classic tractor to restore...(I wanted to buy a County) I need the money now to buy a loader tractor. It will have to be a used tractor, as always :'(

I am looking at Bidirectional tractor. Have priced a Versatile 256, several 276's and a few New Holland 9030's.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these machines? I know there are several key components to look at. things like the pivots, hoses, transmission, loader pins, universal joints on the PTO drivelines. But any thoughts would be apreciated.

I am not positive how wide spread this issue is but we had two 9030's that had electrical issues and caught fire both times the operators barely made it out of the cab. I see that there are plenty of them for sale, in fact I saw one online for sale with 12,000 hours so I think it is safe to assume that Ford fixed the issue but something that may be worth researching. If I remember there was a line that was prone to leaking (not sure what kind)+ a spot you couldn't blow out that chaf would love to get into+ faulty wiring led to fire that spread very fast right behind the cab.

I looked into it a little and so far it seems like it was isolated to models made in or around 1996. An articl I found claimed that some wires were not harnessed properly under the cab and over time the coating on the wires would rub off and rub on bare metal therfore causing anything flamable to catch on fire. I am curious now so I think I'll keep looking.

Edited by Luke (DeWitt)

plenty of Bi-directionals around. Think the 256 (or rather the 276's have proven themselves over a loooonnnggg time, but minimal hours would definately be a plus concerning wear and tear...)

9030 and their follow ups (NH TV-series) seem to do pretty well when it comes to sales in North America, but cant say much out of experience as these series were not sold in Europe as far as i know. i also dont know how expensive the TV140/145/150's are, but they seem sturdier built with more hp to boot, and more up-to-date to the simple machines the bidirectionals first were... Then again, the older machines are probably easier serviceable..

yeah the new Tv's are more powerfull and more up to date. But they are also bulkier and less handy as a yard tractor. Plus they carry a much heftier price tag. I have talked to someone and they told me that they have 2 276's and 2 Tv's. when employes are told to do something they aparently always choose the 276's! even though the TV's are much more comfortable to sitt in.

By beginning next week I should know more but I think I am going top go with the 276.

@Luke. Was it also impossible to clean that place when you tilted the cab for service? where exactly wwas that place.(where the fire started)

I went to check out that 276....not good. The hours can not be right, defenitly tampered with. I was talking to some people that know this tractor and I have been told that this tractor worked hard and long hours. looks ok because of repaint, but everything is worn out.

Found an older model with more hours but much cheaper.The tractor has a complete service history and seems to be well tyaken care of. Loader is tight. Pivots are tight. Spiders have been changed. Its on its second set of tires, and never been repainted with the exception of the bucket. Its 99 percent bought.

post-283-0-63142100-1329703017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anfield Vario

Pivot points have been changed 600 hours ago. they seem to be very tight just like all the loader pins, and yes it is this tractor. The only problem, it has got 9300 hours on it. But the price is right and for what I need it, i think it should be ok. Like you said its A Versatile.... made to last. I hope ;)

Looks sharp. I will check on the fire location though, the person that would know is out of town for a little while but when they get back I should have more info. From everything I gathered it was isolated to the blue Ford 9030's around 1996 only. I heard that it affected around 100 machines nationwide so id say its safe to assume that Ford caught the issue but I will keep looking into this one.