Oakley Estate Farms

looking very good,yard is spotless !!!!!! whats the machinery i spy in the shed on the right in the last picture Alex,i think i can make out a britains vady drill,or is that the vady convo you did?  and whats the other one Alex

yes thats the 8 metre rapid i converted paul and the other one is 6 meter horsch tiger i use for drilling rape

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mighty fine set up there Alex! :of

Very impressed with the whole layout, what size would the grain store be in real terms?

regards.

JEP

Many thanks, well i tried to base it on a 47 000 tonne store, it doesnt look quite as big as that but the grain is stored at a much higher depth, im now building an automated drier so the grain comes out at a consistent 15% allowing larger depth storage without spoiling issues, the drier also helps as i store for other farms in the area all grain comes out at 15% by sensing the % moisture before entering the dryer it automatically speeds up or slows down to achieve this, this means no over drying resulting in grain weight loss and only using the precise energy you need for a 15% sample, this will save the farm around £40,000 a year Edited by Oakley Farms

Really coming on leaps and bounds now Alex  :)

Thanks James, its been along time in the planning, im just glad its all coming together now, still alot to do though, after iv completed the grain store im going to work on the farm entrance. Then an unloading bay shed for potatoes, farm office and then im calling it a day building wise! Time to enjoy it and minor tinkering!

Its been a busy week down here on the farm, we finished harvesting the first 200 acre block of early winter oilseed rape last friday and as the grainstore wasnt quite ready so we hauled up to Cadbury Park Farm which is about 20 miles away and managed by Jack Pollard, its about 1000 acres growing wheat, barley and potatoes, jack is the chap who has lent a hand building this diorama and has some kit hiself which will feature in some posts i make as both farms help each other out, anyway we started harvesting again yesterday after rain stopped play and now all grain is going into the new store, Cadbury Park Farm is starting on their barley tomorrow so today we have had 6 tractors and trailers on the road along with 2 lorries to bring back the rape stored there, this is now out of their way ready for their barley.

Here is the finished grainstore (all except a roof!)post-2769-0-41720500-1375984041_thumb.jp

Iv designed the grain handling so that grain is tipped into an underground tank through mesh which comfortably takes a 28t artic load in what i call the tip pit shed which has a high roof to accommodate tipping trailers, it is then augured out and if needs be can be put into two silos say if changing crops/varieties or wanting to segregate loads if wetter for example, then on into the fully automatic variable drier post-2769-0-53161300-1375987806_thumb.jp

After drying, grain comes out the bottom of the drier and up through the wall of the store and onto one of two conveyors to either the front or back of the store where it then falls onto a cross conveyor and out through one of three hatches into the selected bay post-2769-0-23163800-1375988039_thumb.jp

Combine has now moved into a rented 460 acre block what we call Bondip, its about 25 miles away from the farm so we have a few extra trailers on including Cadbury Park Farms Fendt 828 and also a nieghbour Frogmary Green Farm with there Fendt 939 black beauty and AW trailer post-2769-0-19521600-1376227965_thumb.jp