Oakley Estate Farms

I reckon that half of what a diorama makes interesting is the story's and thoughts that go behind them. I think you have hit the nail on the head here Alex, fantastic!

Thanks Niels, i try to keep the information and stories as realistic as possible, i think working on a farm really helps as you can transfer real life happenings into 1/32. As for the potato storage, im still working on that, as i have only recently built this diorama its one of the jobs later on down my list but yes i do plan to put in fridge units and vents along with boxes, perhaps a winter job when I'm a but quieter!
  • Like 1

It really helps if your involved in real life farming of course. Things like the varietys, seed rates, croppings and cultivation/drilling regimes can be thought out in a more realistic manner. When I was still a full time carpet farmer ;D I would apply my knowledge gained by interrogating farmers :laugh: and reading farming magazines. Made it more realistic for me. My mum always felt I should move outdoors during summer when I was combining. She wouldn't understand it couldn't be done in January!

Looking at your other work on the grain store etc.. I am really looking forward to the potato box storage. Keep up the pictures and stories!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So whats been happening down on Oakley Farms lately, well the pack house has been up and running with 4/5 fridge lorry loads of washed and packed salad spuds going out every night, transport is at night so to keep disruption to other farm activities to a minimum, we have 1 load a night to Branston Potatoes just up the road, 1 to Greenvale Tern Hill site, 1 to Greenvale floods-ferry site and the last to Branston's Scottish site, we have capacity to get up to 6 loads a night, currently we have deliveries to the four corners of the UK, Cornwall was a no go area with two major growers there already. Only the Salad potatoes are washed and packed on site which is a short lived affair and doesn't make a great deal of money but does bring in some early revenue! post-2769-0-01525600-1381247626_thumb.jp post-2769-0-78055500-1381247684_thumb.jp

Also Mason Bros have been in taking low grade potatoes for Asda value pack, it is important to have a market for your High and low grade produce, which sometimes means on the spot sales. However most of the potatoes grown here are sold on contract to Branston who pack for Tesco which we will haul up to the factory ourselves in the winter being only 4 miles away, and the rest are packed by Greenvale for Sainsbury's, they will be hauled by Bonnings Transport to Shropshire. So the bulk of the main crop will be put into cold storage until December when we try and catch a slice of the xmas market. post-2769-0-59849300-1381248236_thumb.jp

• Like 3

We had a few wet days last week so Mark took the opportunity to bring the harvester back to the yard for a spot of maintenance post-2769-0-44876800-1381248471_thumb.jp

Maurice and Dan started hauling a new variety of potatoes called Jelly to a neighbouring farmers cold-store to be gassed (this stops them sprouting) Oakley Farms is part of 4 growers in the South West that make up 4000t of Jelly contract for Greenvale, all 4 farms will haul their Jelly into this storage farm for gassing so not to contaminate other stores that could be used for seed in the spring, we borrowed C P Farms bailey flatbed again to speed up the process post-2769-0-02006200-1381248860_thumb.jp post-2769-0-42884700-1381248952_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Nice update again, was keeping a close eye for one since I got hooked onto this thread ;D . Nice to see the Jelly potatoes but I would have preferred Melody myself, unless your going for big tubers. What other variety's are grown on the farm and how is the gassing done?

Edited by Niels

Nice update again, was keeping a close eye for one since I got hooked onto this thread ;D . Nice to see the Jelly potatoes but I would have preferred Melody myself, unless your going for big tubers. What other variety's are grown on the farm and how is the gassing done?

We grow Charlotte, Jelly, Sylvana , Estima and Harmony, trying 10 acres of Melody next year :)

The gassing is done literally by a chap coming in with a pick up with a tank on the back where the chemical is mixed, he shuts the door down with his pipe under it and blows in the fog, depending on store size its a quick job, where i used to work a store of 800t took 45mins

Edited by Oakley Farms

Aha yes we did it very similar only used hand held gas guns. Would do it through the back door and then front door on a 700T bulk store. Then just have to wait when one of the locals is going to ring the cops as they thought the shed's on fire. ;D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have now finished digging our own spuds and are on the last 80 acres for nieghbouring Cadury Park Farm, they haul there own potatoes to keep costs down, we plant, dig, grade, store and market them as a service post-2769-0-43863200-1382526099_thumb.jp post-2769-0-08495900-1382526241_thumb.jp post-2769-0-37004700-1382526340_thumb.jp

They had a small Valtra on hauling but it was being pushed about by the trailers so we decided to leave it in the yard and use it as a tipping tractor so the others can just come in dump a loaded trailer, hitch up an empty and return to the field quicker, its quite a long haul so this should keep the harvester going, its slow progress at the mo as heavier soil and wetter conditions slowing both harvester and grader up, now stopped because of rain! post-2769-0-74531200-1382526648_thumb.jp

Edited by Oakley Farms
  • Like 1

Although the wet weather has put a stop to finishing the potato harvest it has allowed us to get on and finish alot of those small jobs around the yard, firstly we installed a new water tank for sprayer filling, water comes in from rainwater harvesting off shed roofs and treated biobed water (which i will come to in a bit) and fills the tank on-top the chemical store where it is then pumped through the wall and into the sprayer bay through pipes post-2769-0-70995200-1382527050_thumb.jp post-2769-0-17653200-1382527132_thumb.jp

• Like 1

A few small jobs that have happened, the topdown and carrier have been washed, greased and put away for winter post-2769-0-07515400-1382527336_thumb.jp

A new IBC of AdBlue arrived and was put in the workshop post-2769-0-68222200-1382527458_thumb.jp

A few second hand elevators have been purchased ready for the new grading line that goes in next year, these will need modifications in the workshop post-2769-0-26283100-1382527612_thumb.jp

Drilling has nearly finished all bar 50 acres, the drill and remaining seed have been put in the dry in the grain store what with the yard being so cluttered with trailers and boxes! post-2769-0-71514400-1382527798_thumb.jp

Finally Cadbury Park Farm have finished hauling empty boxes into the yard, we are hoping this should be enough to finish if it ever stops raining! post-2769-0-61285400-1382527942_thumb.jp post-2769-0-52835400-1382528008_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The builders have now finished the Biobed, this is used for sprayer washings, the sprayer returns the first 2 wash outs to the field where the remaining chemical will do some good, but the 3rd wash out will get dropped into the grid at the front of the Biobed where it gets pumped through layers of organic matter and compost which breaks down the chemicals and catches them allowing clean water to be pumped back to the sprayer filling tank, we have also made a grid in the filling bay so that any spillages that occur during filling are also pumped through the Biobed, this is a safe way of dealing with chemical spillages and also environmentally friendly, at this moment in time the farm is being verified to become a LEAF (linking environment and farming) demonstration farm showing good farming practises whilst caring for the environment post-2769-0-47437800-1382528610_thumb.jp post-2769-0-36325300-1382528684_thumb.jp

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its all quiet on the western front here at Oakley, spuds are now finished im glad to say! The last 80 acres were tough going and the cheap second harvester we bought really helped. Last week we washed the kit off ready to be serviced sometime later in the winter, the trailers have retired for now returning to the trailer park post-2769-0-05045600-1384536471_thumb.jp

The harvesters have been left outside for the time being with all the lads on a well deserved weeks holiday, its been down to me to load lorries this week being short staffed! I have also had the Claas rep in the office trying to twist my arm about a new Lexion, having already bought another 770 to cope with next years extra acreage i wasn't planning on buying two this year, usually swap combines in every 5 years however a local farmer is very interested in the first 770 i bought, now 2 years old with 7000 acres under its belt, have to see what special deals he can come up with! post-2769-0-51815900-1384536908_thumb.jp