My first vintage tractor!

bigbear

I've just bought my first 1:1 vintage tractor - a 1941 Allis Chalmers B! I'm dead chuffed with it, as I've been hanging around tractor rallies whimpering for far too many years. ;D Just got to restore her now! :- Anybody got any advice on this subject, please? The paintwork is original and in reasonable nick, and I'm not keen on a complete respray. Is there a product or method of restoring the finish and dealing with the rust? I've heard of a wax that will do the job, but can't find out specifics. The tyres are a bit naff, so I'll need to source some replacements. The front wheels seem easy to get, but I can't find a supplier for the rear wheel tyres at all. Again, any suggestions, please?

The rear tyres are I believe 10x24 John? I think you can get 11x24, some older 4WD tractors had this size. Ring around a few tyre places like Totnes Tyres or Mid Devon Tyres (Okehampton) those two companies seem pretty good at sourcing odd size tyres. I had an Allis B a few years ago, 1948 English built with the straight front axle but could not find any 5.00x15 front tyres for it. Sold it a while later.

Although not restoration points John ( more preventitive mechanical failures) I would probably drain the engine oil...drop the sump ...you might be amazed at the gunge in there and replace oil filer and the sump gasket which is probably cork. You might get away with tapping out a paper one and using Hermatite but I suspect it should be a cork on. Might be worth flushing out the fuel tanks as well although a look in and a look at the glass strainer bowl should show if there is likely to be any problems there. I would check back end and gear box oil as well to see what it is like since I'll bet my cotton socks it will not have been changed.

The Old 20 Parts Co in Derby do a fair lot of parts for Allis B's

http://old20tractorparts.com/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=allis+b&submit_search=Search

Thanks to all for the info. At the moment, the old girl is sheeted down in the garage and I've an old "Allis man" coming to give her the once over to see if she's all there, so to speak. Already planned a rough timetable for the draining, etc., but it's a busy time of year, so I'll realistically not get to it for a couple of months in a big way. I've got a few pics, which I'll put up ASAP.

When we were unloading her, the minute the ramps hit the road, our quiet little country backwater became the busiest road in Devon! Luckily, she came off the trailer and straight into the garage without mishap, but aren't some people impatient?!

I'll not have her ready for the Bridwell Show this year - and anyway, I'm always too busy on the day to do much else - but hopefully by next year...

(Bridwell show 2012 - September 2nd. Pony Club, Tractor parade, Vintage cars, dog show, etc... nr. J27 M5) www.bridwellshow.co.uk

Do you know any history of the tractor John? John L.C. Flew was the main Allis dealer in Devon at the time in Clyst Honiton. I have a pack of Waddington's playing cards with his advertising on them. Click on the picture and it will open up in another window and a lot larger.

post-806-0-97884200-1343998522_thumb.jpg

I hope to know more soon. I've given the reg. and chassis numbers to a chap who has access to a database of some sort. He reckons he can give me a full history. I know that she's been sitting in one barn for about 20 years, so that's a good start.

The chap I bought this off also has a Field Marshall he is thinking of selling, which I got the chance to drive around for a bit. Add to these an MF35, a little grey Fergie and an old International with a loader - all still in daily use! - and you can see why I was there for a whole morning!

Now I need a side cutter or something useful, I think!

Being fitted with the straight front axle it's an English built Allis, you'll find the tractors serial number stamped in a flat on top of the casting behind the gear lever, or is it in front, I forget now. It will start with a capital letter E which denotes English built followed by a series of numbers. I think Alan T. Condie did a book in his tractor series on the Allis B which lists the serial numbers with build dates, you'll find that it will date from about 1949. The Allis B was made for many years and there were a great number imported to the UK from America during the Second World War under the 'Lend Lease' scheme, there are more of these tractors at the bottom of the Atlantic than there are on farms due to the U Boats sinking ships in the convoys. I would bet that yours was supplied by Flew from Broadclyst John as it's very close to you, that's of course if the tractor is pretty local.

I had a reproduced A4 combe bound book for the B that I bought at a rally, it contained the operator instructions plus workshop repair manual, it had a celophane outer cover sheet and the book cover was orange card with a black lined Allis B on it, I let it go with the tractor when I sold it. John, if you're going to Honiton Hill rally over the August Bank holiday Sunday/Monday, if you look around the stalls you'll probably find a copy. There's a few listed on eBay, here's the best and cheapest one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allis-Chalmers-Model-B-English-Tractor-Instructions-/220995326078?pt=UK_Collectables_OtherTransportation_RL&hash=item337459107e

Edited by powerrabbit

Thanks for all the info. guys. A friend of mine who works for a tyre company has already berated me for the tyre reversal - previous owners fault, not mine! Honest, guv...

I hope to get to the Honiton Hill rally, but I'm pretty busy over the bank holiday already. Seems like my work list just keeps growing as I do things! I did get to the West Somerset Steam Fair today and despite the soggy ground conditions had a really good time, as usual. Took lots of pics - thank goodness for digital photography!!!

The seat back and brackets are on my shopping list, as are a set of hoses and tyres. I've got one spare rear tyre with the tractor, so I can begin to get things going ASAP. Hoping to get it drained and refilled and have the first turning over this week.

Absolutely right! I bought the booklet before I bought the tractor, to make sure I have the skills needed to restore it. I've just got the maintenance manual on a CD for a princely £1.50, with a few other manuals, which I'll print out as I need it. Every penny saved is a penny towards parts now!

I've just bought my first 1:1 vintage tractor - a 1941 Allis Chalmers B! I'm dead chuffed with it, as I've been hanging around tractor rallies whimpering for far too many years. ;D Just got to restore her now! :- Anybody got any advice on this subject, please? The paintwork is original and in reasonable nick, and I'm not keen on a complete respray. Is there a product or method of restoring the finish and dealing with the rust? I've heard of a wax that will do the job, but can't find out specifics. The tyres are a bit naff, so I'll need to source some replacements. The front wheels seem easy to get, but I can't find a supplier for the rear wheel tyres at all. Again, any suggestions, please?

I was at a show yesterday and a chap who has a vehicle valeting business was there with a TEF20 he has recently acquired. This polish looks amazing, He did say it was to trade only but he gave me his card and said he could get to me if I really wanted. Might be worth following up a stockist in your area. The plastic pot would only sit on the ridge of the bonnet. I tried lower down and all it did was slide off.

P1020981.jpg

You could almost read the old writing on the bonnet

Unladed weight 20 cwt

Max speed 20 mph

Or words to that effect

P1020982.jpg

A wee shower of rain around 3pm and look at this

P1030023.jpg

This might be the stuff I was told about! I'll have to go and bother our local valeting service to see if they will let be buy some off them. ...and to think that I bought the tractor as an alternative to cleaning the car! ;D

This might be the stuff I was told about! I'll have to go and bother our local valeting service to see if they will let be buy some off them. ...and to think that I bought the tractor as an alternative to cleaning the car! ;D

If you get it and try it John please let us see before and after close up shots.

I have tried the cheaper pots of Carauba Gold which I think I won as part of prize from the Fraserburgh rally a few year ago. Its that £ 21.99 plus £ 2.99 P&P that the chap was using on Sunday. I'm sure the trade folk can get it cheaper than that.Looks expensive but then again sometimes it is true you only get what you pay for.

There is a very good wax polish that Vapormatic does, this is a white thick cream type that comes in a white pot, quantity in the pot is 1/2 lite. This polish removes traffic grime, fly dirt and light tar spots, it buffs up to a brilliant shine and creates a barrier and everything that comes into contact with the polished surface just slides off, I use it on my tractors and other vehicles and it's brilliant, apply on one cloth and remove/buff with another, best results using soft cotton cloth or toweling for buffing. You'll find it on their website, type in the part number VLB4134 in the seasrch box under 'VAP code number' and it will come up. RRP is £5.66 a pot plus VAT. It's supplied to the dealers in a box of 6.