Torrax Hill Farm

Stabliofarmer

I bought one of there Rough Stone Mylar Stencils http://www.craft-products.com/stone-stencils.asp you spray repositionable adhesive on one side and paste the compound over then lift off. Been looking on the internet and Mylar is very cheap and can be laser cut so may have a go at some custom stencils for door lintles etc. in the future. 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

That looks a lot easier than I thought, although there's no match to what I have used so far, so I may yet have to cast my own blocks , thanks for the info mind, will have a proper look at them tomorrow 

Yes, just had another look at the stencil and found where they overlap so making seamless joins is alot easier than I realized. Not a big fan of the look of Scaloox myself thoigh I know little about it, but it looks like a very fast way of building. I still want to try foam board yet, scribed in the same way as DAS clay, which seems to be what Iain Robinson finds most realistic, before deciding on a favorite but this compound is looking best for 1/32 when look, ease, cost and speed are accounted for. 

Scaleoxx is ok, as long as you file and sand the blocks down to get level , certainly very strong once glued in place , which in turn allows timbers to be well supported in the walls ect, however you can't get it any more, hence why I have kept one whole un opened pack so I can cast myself some , just got to get round to it 

Got sick of the paper sheet on the lambing shed so ripped it out and painted on a cream undercoat as the mortar. Then I made a start on re-doing the bricks with the bromley craft's realistic brick compound, a few photos of the process.

102_2898.thumb.JPG.5ff17c8eb0b88295729cf

Once spraying the stencil with adhesive spray its laied in the corner

102_2899.thumb.JPG.57976c091fa622831367e

The compund is mixed with water till it is at a form somewhere between runny and clumping together. Once at that stage it is spread over the stencil like buttering bread

102_2900.thumb.JPG.92e3dd1dda33e17edd5bd

Like so, then the stencil is lifted off, depending on how much compound is left on the stencil you may want to wash it off in some water before using again

102_2901.thumb.JPG.7bd17de8c176ead609c95

The stencil is then matched up to the repeated sections of the pattern and the process repeated

102_2902.thumb.JPG.62938e01d4ffdd97c033d

Repeated again and again 

102_2903.thumb.JPG.92d3eb6dcd6317bc8ced7

102_2904.thumb.JPG.162ab8efdedd0c029ff4f

Then it is lined up along the top repeated pattern

102_2905.thumb.JPG.b77374eb539c5541a6e0b

The shed loosely taped together and looking much better

102_2906.thumb.JPG.1e0ff29c634c7ba6e5cf9

102_2907.thumb.JPG.26546510e3d3454418199

102_2908.thumb.JPG.950a57324d441c3a46da7

The lintels were done by simply placing the flat edge of the stencil 1cm above the door and filling the area underneath with he compound.

Will sand down a few high spots tomorrow and then put it into place on the layout and attach the doors etc.

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks guys, was quite happy with the shearers, they were spur of the moment as I scrabbled around looking for something to fit the bill. Theyre actually the end of the part of a pen where it clips onto paper, just need abit of tinfoil on the end to finish them off. Its the arms that I'm most proud of though, theyre garden wire so can be bent to wherever they need to point and then attatch to the motor by a tiny magnet in the motor that means the arm rotates in all directions without falling off

Archived