Farm Journal -Cider Hill Farms

CCF

Love the JD mower Tim, thats a lovely model. I never get bored of seeing that one. The little Farmall is a nice one too, see a few over here on the vintage circuit and if I ever own a classic I think it would be one like that, the always look so big compared to the usual Fery, Fordson and DB's we see so many of.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FARM JOURNAL #11

Today, the farm test drove several well known 4wd tractors, a Case IH STX500, and a New Holland TJ530. We are hoping to sell off our John Deere tracked tractor, and buy a 4wd tractor next spring. With a 4wd tractor on the farm, more farm workers will be put on tillage duty, without having to learn how to drive a tracked tractor. While we started plowing with the demo machines, we cleaned up various spots around the farm as well.

Arriving with the demo New Holland TJ530:

IMG_1016.jpg

Plowing:

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

Plowing with the Case IH STX500:

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

Meanwhile, a worker is moving any large rocks unearthed by the mulch ripper:

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

Dumping the rock on the wall by the pig pen and mower barn:

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Cleaning up the trails in the woods for the Halloween haunted hayride:

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will focus on fall tillage part 2, and the Halloween haunted hayride. Next week's journal will be an FTF exclusive journal.

Cheers lads, the comments really do mean alot. Glad to see you are are enjoying what I have been doing with the farm.  :)

I am still looking for one more guest writer for the 2006 Farm Journals to write Farm Journal #14. If you are interested in creatively writing a journal, please let me know via PM, email, or responding to this message by this upcoming Tuesday. At that point, I will ask TTS if anyone is interested if there have been no responses.

FARM JOURNAL #12

Seeing as the farm journals I was putting together for FTF and TTS were too long, I decided to split up some of the content. Instead, this journal will focus on general farm work, and next journal will be an FTF exclusive journal.

After testing several 4wd tractors, we cleaned up some of the dead plants killed by the frosts, and moved several rocks. As soon as we finished cleaning up the fields, we put some final touches on our haunted ride. Overall, the haunted hay ride turned out to be a large success. The farm raised $506.28. As Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up, we donate all of the funds raised on the haunted hay ride to local food pantries, and several feed the hungry organizations.

Starting at the entrance to the farm, we circle around the field, and go through the woods with the haunted hay ride. There are various Halloween decorations set up around the route:

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Pulling back up at the farm entrance:

IMG_1072.jpg

Because the temperature was around 40f, the pigs stayed inside the barn throughout the day and night:

IMG_1028.jpg

Picking up the last of the dead plants killed by the frost:

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

Raising the bucket to dump the plants:

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

Dumping the plants in the compost pile:

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

The mulch ripper unearthed one especially large rock while tilling near the back end of the fields. Judging by the size the rock was under the loader limit, so we tried picking it up:

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

NEVER JUDGE A ROCK BY IT'S SIZE!! While picking up the rock, one of the hydraulic pistons gave way, resulting in a large crack down the center:

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

We managed to raise the loader enough to drive it back the barn. Unfortunately, the piston was slightly leaking hydraulic fluid over the road as we drove back. We will do our best to clean up any large spills:

IMG_1101.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will focus on fall tillage part 2. Next week's journal will be an FTF exclusive journal.

STILL LOOKING FOR A GUEST WRITER TO WRITE FARM JOURNAL #14, DOESN'T ANYONE WANT TO GIVE IT A GO?  :'(

Cleers chaps.....  :)

Whats one need to do?

Sent you a PM mate  :)

Looking good there mate......Is the John Deere loader tractor an ERTL model?

Aye, it is a Ertl Martin. The model # is a 5420. Not bad for a John Deere eh?  :)

Well done Tim... superb as usual mate... Typical JD mate... broken down again  ::)

I've MAY have mentioned this before... but PLEASE Get some Reds... they won't let you down  ;):D :D

Really now...you don't say ::)

Actually, just sent you a PM on that matter mate.  :)

Just a note, I am planning on doing three more normal farm journals for 2006. After that, it will be late November or early December, meaning I will need to get the model barn in before it starts sticking to the ground! I plan to do a 'Mini Journal' on occasion this winter, which will have a smaller story line, and only about 5-10 pictures instead of 20 or so. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what crops I should do in the 2007 season, or any new pieces of machinery that the farm should acquire for next year?  :)

Aye, it is a quite handy machine Mart. I was thinking of taking it off of the display for a while, but decided to keep it now that the journals will occasionally deal with unearthing and moving large rocks. Cider Hill farms will be acquiring another loader tractor in 2007, the make of the tractor is a secret at the moment.  :-X

Aye, it is a quite handy machine Mart. I was thinking of taking it off of the display for a while, but decided to keep it now that the journals will occasionally deal with unearthing and moving large rocks. Cider Hill farms will be acquiring another loader tractor in 2007, the make of the tractor is a secret at the moment.  :-X

Will it me a Massey Tim... at least tell us that  ??? ???

This  ???;D

Nope...a wee bit expensive. The tractor loader going on Cider Hill Farms will have the actual loader pistons like the 5420, not the leaver. Bu@@er, that was another clue!  :-[

FARM JOURNAL #13

Fall is officially here. We have received our first heavy frost of the year, all of our hay fields were white at 6am when several workers came in for the pig pen cleaning shift. We have been finishing fall tillage as quickly as possible. With temperatures down in the low 40's during the day, the ground will begin to freeze up soon. Because of the cooler temperatures, we have been keeping the pigs inside the barn. In the coming weeks, we will set up a central heater in the barn, and extend the indoor pig pen to the opposite wall of the barn. This will  leave more room for the pigs to roam during the winter. During November, the farm begins it's process of shutting down for the year. The next few weeks on the farm will focus on cleaning up the farm, and preparing the barns and our machines for the long winter coming up.

Because the temperature was in the 40's today, the pigs were kept inside the barn:

IMG_1028.jpg

Hooking up the Disk and cultivator to the Farmall for tillage:

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Taking the IH600 out of the barn:

IMG_1052.jpg

Hooking up to the cultivator with the IH:

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

Tilling the fields:

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

View from behind the steering wheel:

IMG_1046.jpg

Resting after tilling the fields:

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Hate to say it, but that's all for this week folks! Next week's journal will be written by a guest writer.

I invite you all to view the TTS exclusive version of Farm Journal #13. The link is:

http://www.toytractortimes.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=144079#144079