Big ford and and Push pull ploughs

mb86

Sean and mark (thanks lads) have given me the idea to build a push pull plough combination. I will be putting it on a lwb ford tw but undecided which. I'm swaying towards a marge 8830. The tractor won't need much work, bigger tyres, front linkage and I think that will be it. Id have liked dowdeswell ploughs as we have a dp8, but with them needing to be a conversion of a current model I think I will be able to to make a better job if I convert them to ransomes. 3 front and 4 or possibly 5 on the rear. The strong contender for plough is the replicagri huard 4 furrow plough (thanks again Sean).

There is a good article in this months classic tractor with two county 1184s with push pull ploughs which is good reference and also a few bits on t'internet which I'll post some links to. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to this one Martin, but don't go to wide on your tyres mate, really a 520 or 580 rear wheel width is as much as the dowdeswell and ransome ucn bodies would take to get the front furrow to match with the last work, 600's we used to have on our jd 3350 and ucn bodies a long time ago was really on the limit.

3 minutes ago, chris.watson said:

Looking forward to this one Martin, but don't go to wide on your tyres mate, really a 520 or 580 rear wheel width is as much as the dowdeswell and ransome ucn bodies would take to get the front furrow to match with the last work, 600's we used to have on our jd 3350 and ucn bodies a long time ago was really on the limit.

if you go a bit quicker the front furrow throws it a bit more to cover up the bit that is squashed down with wide wheels ,then power harrow it all looks the same  

37 minutes ago, smithy said:

if you go a bit quicker the front furrow throws it a bit more to cover up the bit that is squashed down with wide wheels ,then power harrow it all looks the same  

Come on smithy, you know if you plough to fast mate you chuck the trash up on the profile. You shouldn't be squashing the furrow wall with the tyres you will ruin the soil structure. Get some dd or dds bodies on your old plough mate.

1 minute ago, chris.watson said:

Come on smithy, you know if you plough to fast mate you chuck the trash up on the profile. You shouldn't be squashing the furrow wall with the tyres you will ruin the soil structure. Get some dd or dds bodies on your old plough mate.

yes you are right chris but sometimes you can cheat I have 14 inch ucn bodies on my DP7 4/5 furrow plough and have 16 inch tires I am looking for a nother plough in the next year if the price is right

Thanks for the advice. I was going to fit tyres the same as my 8210 convo, I thought they looked similar to the 18.4-38 that are on our t-dub. Do you think they might be too wide. 

Thanks for the pics David, a nice clear shot of the front plough for me to work off. Is that the one at the blue force working day you were telling me about?

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was going to fit tyres the same as my 8210 convo, I thought they looked similar to the 18.4-38 that are on our t-dub. Do you think they might be too wide. 

Thanks for the pics David, a nice clear shot of the front plough for me to work off. Is that the one at the blue force working day you were telling me about?

Spot on Martin. It was great to see ploughing outfits like this given several big fields to go at. Brilliant working day. :)

11 hours ago, walterderwent said:

Spot on Martin. It was great to see ploughing outfits like this given several big fields to go at. Brilliant working day. :)

I'd have loved to have gone. I'd would have been like a kid at Christmas not knowing what to look at first!

9 hours ago, MadMark said:

Up to date push pull ploughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mqm8cNE9xo

Thanks for the pics. Give me the tw to plough with over that newholland any day. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the tractor and ploughs now, just waiting for the front links before I make a start on the ploughs. I've changed the tyres on the 88 for Britains tw fronts think they were off the tw 25, not sure what the rears are from, they were in my wheels box. 

image.jpg

Archived