Big ford and and Push pull ploughs

mb86

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MadMark said:

You should be able to handle 5 on the back and 3 up front Martin, mind you depends on you ground type. The farm I grew up on had a 8210 with 4 and 3 set up mind you it was light land.

Any pics of that mark? It would be an impressive sight. Nowadays you would need 200hp+ As well as twin cb aerials and twin beacons to pull 7 furrows. ;D

4 hours ago, Valley Axe Man said:

Will be a good looking rig Martin 8) your just going to be short of a bit of black from the stack ;) Thanks for posting the updates look forward to seeing a bit more

Cheers Paul. I have had the pics for a while but I couldn't get them to load until now.

I don't think hey did a 5 and 3 system on push pulls ? Certainly never seen pics of it, only as martins done 4 and what will be 3 up front. Looks good I must say,as you said the front linkage works a treat with the Rams, goes to show its worth he effort cutting them down and trimming the shims etc 

13 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

I don't think hey did a 5 and 3 system on push pulls ? Certainly never seen pics of it, only as martins done 4 and what will be 3 up front. Looks good I must say,as you said the front linkage works a treat with the Rams, goes to show its worth he effort cutting them down and trimming the shims etc 

I didn't know that Sean. I knew the fronts could be either 2 or 3, I just assumed you could have what you wanted on the back. I agree those rams are spot on  

I wouldn't quote me on that Martin, but to the best of my knowledge I have never seen a pic of anything bigger than a 4 furrow on the rear, that's plough make or tractor holding them ,maybe it was deemed to much even for a big ford ?? To cope with, chassis strain?? Wouldn't like to say . Do the blades and skims ect look easy to reverse for the front one? I know martyn reeves was looking at them a while back and trout they looked easy enough, not sure if he ever got round to doing any mind

1 hour ago, mb86 said:

I know, what is average hp in the uk now? Bet it is somewhere in the 150-200 size 

Yeah about that ..120 to 160 in Ireland ...but the 7610 was a lot of  power in a small package , it's hard to imagine that it packed as much horsepower as the larger 6cyl 7810 & 7910 and shared the same engine with the 7710..

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

Do the blades and skims ect look easy to reverse for the front one? I know martyn reeves was looking at them a while back and trout they looked easy enough, not sure if he ever got round to doing any mind

When my Huard arrived a couple of the furrows were detached. They have small pins in them that fit into holes in the main frame. Just popped them back together and was grand.

Don't know if they will reverse easily to face forwards, or if it was a lack of glue that caused them to fall out.

But if you prise gently they should come away from the frame.

2 hours ago, justy 46 said:

Yeah about that ..120 to 160 in Ireland ...but the 7610 was a lot of  power in a small package , it's hard to imagine that it packed as much horsepower as the larger 6cyl 7810 & 7910 and shared the same engine with the 7710..

I passed a farm today that bought a 6610-2 and 7610-4 in 1987. The 6610 was still there working the diet feeder today.

They also bought a 7810 in 1988. Remember the first time I saw it, at the junction of Love Lane. How appropriate.

3 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

I wouldn't quote me on that Martin, but to the best of my knowledge I have never seen a pic of anything bigger than a 4 furrow on the rear, that's plough make or tractor holding them ,maybe it was deemed to much even for a big ford ?? To cope with, chassis strain?? Wouldn't like to say . Do the blades and skims ect look easy to reverse for the front one? I know martyn reeves was looking at them a while back and trout they looked easy enough, not sure if he ever got round to doing any mind

For the front plough I will turn the whole beam round instead of each leg, I think the skims would cause a problem if you wanted to turn them but they are a square straight leg where as the ransomes is a cranked round bar so I think I will take them off all together and replace them with new. Great pic of the front plough there. Thanks for that. 

3 hours ago, Jd6320driver said:

What did you use for the rams

I used telescopic magnetic pick up tools which I cut down to the correct length and also cut down the sliders/stops inside to give sufficient stroke. 

26 minutes ago, smithy said:

Here is a picture of some pictures that I took in the late 80s

20160216_231447.jpg

Nice pics smithy, thanks for taking the time to show us. Is that a 4000  in the background? I see the front axle on the 76 is red, had the blue paint come off or had it been replaced?

22 hours ago, mb86 said:

Nice pics smithy, thanks for taking the time to show us. Is that a 4000  in the background? I see the front axle on the 76 is red, had the blue paint come off or had it been replaced?

Yes it is a ford 4000 cant remember the year the picture was taken but the 4000 was one off 3 we had at the same time had a 4600 and 6600. The 7610 was a 2 wheel drive for the first six months from new and was used by BIRDS EYE on there green pea harvest carting from harvester to lorry's waiting on field edge then went back to dealers MANN EGERTON at Ipswich to be fitted with a SCHINDLER 4wd front axle which was all paid for by Ford as a experiment I bought the tractor at a reduced price as not sure it would be ok but had in writing that it would be put right if it broke down but had to put up with them coming out to check on it ,ok if it was a wet day but not so good if I wanted to get on ,axle was red when supplied new but was painted blue by Mann Egerton  but I probably took some paint off with the steam cleaner I had the tractor for a good many years without any problems I then sold it to a farmer friend that used it without any trouble for a few more years and I still used to drive it at silage times on odd days I only sold it as I bought a CASE INTERNATIONAL 956XL and that was some tractor pulled like a train and a nice cab to spend long hours in sad day when I sold that one at Cheffins Auction it went to Ireland not sure what part       

On 17 February 2016 at 11:05 PM, smithy said:

Yes it is a ford 4000 cant remember the year the picture was taken but the 4000 was one off 3 we had at the same time had a 4600 and 6600. The 7610 was a 2 wheel drive for the first six months from new and was used by BIRDS EYE on there green pea harvest carting from harvester to lorry's waiting on field edge then went back to dealers MANN EGERTON at Ipswich to be fitted with a SCHINDLER 4wd front axle which was all paid for by Ford as a experiment I bought the tractor at a reduced price as not sure it would be ok but had in writing that it would be put right if it broke down but had to put up with them coming out to check on it ,ok if it was a wet day but not so good if I wanted to get on ,axle was red when supplied new but was painted blue by Mann Egerton  but I probably took some paint off with the steam cleaner I had the tractor for a good many years without any problems I then sold it to a farmer friend that used it without any trouble for a few more years and I still used to drive it at silage times on odd days I only sold it as I bought a CASE INTERNATIONAL 956XL and that was some tractor pulled like a train and a nice cab to spend long hours in sad day when I sold that one at Cheffins Auction it went to Ireland not sure what part       

Great story there smithy. What year was the 76? It would be a rare machine with the conversion, looks like you gave it a good test out with that plough!

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 0:39 AM, mb86 said:

Great story there smithy. What year was the 76? It would be a rare machine with the conversion, looks like you gave it a good test out with that plough!

Cant remember the year of it but it was in the 1980s I still had it in 1990 as that's the year I bought my first Case tractor and I think I sold it in 1995 at a guess I had it 10 years so could have been 1985?. We also used to pull a A.W.SMITH furrow press on the side of the plough   

38 minutes ago, Fenside MF said:

that set up looks great allready Martin,dont think many members have attempted what your making,joe might have done a push pull from memory.

It would be good seller if marge,uh,britains,or weise came up with a  set like that.

Your right Jamie,I did do one,must have been about ten years ago now,one of the first conversions I attempted,very loosely based on an Överum plough http://www.kongskilde.com/Agriculture/Soil/Ploughing/Fully mounted reversible plough/VARI FLEX EX F

1035HP7.jpg

1035HP4.jpg

Regards

Joe.

11 hours ago, smithy said:

Cant remember the year of it but it was in the 1980s I still had it in 1990 as that's the year I bought my first Case tractor and I think I sold it in 1995 at a guess I had it 10 years so could have been 1985?. We also used to pull a A.W.SMITH furrow press on the side of the plough   

I still have the furrow press but sold the plough a few years ago

20160221_115652.jpg

20160221_115642.jpg

On 21 February 2016 at 8:48 AM, smithy said:

85 would be a c reg like ours and one of the last built. What made you change brand to a Nash? I'm pretty impressed with the tractor by you having the plough AND the press on the back of it. 

Archived