John Deere 2030 Duncan Cab

Thought I'd have a go at creating a tractor that I have memories of looking over the garden fence at as a kid!! I guess it's a model that will never be made

I have a feeling it wasn't quite original, and may have been a rebuilt later bonnet model as its on a T plate, and I'm fairly sure 4wd wasn't available on the horseshoe bonnet tractors, comments welcomed on that front.

anyway, here is the machine in question... And the subject of my conversion

image.jpg1_zpsmrszktdm.jpg

so I've taken a schuco 3130 and commenced some serious surgery. The engine block had to loose 2 cylinders, chassis had to be shortened, bonnet needed shortening and also it profile lowering. Quite time consipuming so far!! Below is work so far don't look to closely! just temporarily glued up to check dimensions. Will dunk in nitromors then bond and fill correctly before paint.

image.jpg4_zpsuxr7zark.jpg

image.jpg6_zps6hixtdd7.jpg

bonnet lowered

image.jpg8_zps3x80cyip.jpg

Duncan cab sourced, need to build the wings though, anyone got any suggestions what is best to use?

image.jpg9_zps1iiixtty.jpg

also anyone please have any thoughts on suggestions for wheel equipment? and a front axle, want to have proper steering!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tidy start, nice classic model, as for wheels, try a replicagri Ih as a donor, should get the prop shaft etc out of one of those , and some of the rear wheels on them are very close to those in your pic, the fronts may need a self made plate to get that flat look mind???

6 minutes ago, Tractorman810 said:

Tidy start, nice classic model, as for wheels, try a replicagri Ih as a donor, should get the prop shaft etc out of one of those , and some of the rear wheels on them are very close to those in your pic, the fronts may need a self made plate to get that flat look mind???

Thank you, good point on replicagri, hadn't thought of those!

5 minutes ago, mb86 said:

How about scaledown roadless front axle? They will have similar wheel centres but side drive, don't know if that is correct. 

Thank you, that one had crossed my mind, yes it actually does have offset dif, only problem is they don't steer.

1 hour ago, alf aphid said:

Has anyone got any tips for good model filler, for filling my joins please, never used before.

I think most folk use Milliput,but I find that difficult to get soft enough to get into cracks,plus you end up with more on your fingers than on the model,I prefer to use Revell Plasto,comes in a tube and nice and easy to apply, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-Plasto-Putty-Model-Filler/dp/B0002HZ3N0

Regards

Joe.

19 hours ago, catkom3 said:

I think most folk use Milliput,but I find that difficult to get soft enough to get into cracks,plus you end up with more on your fingers than on the model,I prefer to use Revell Plasto,comes in a tube and nice and easy to apply, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revell-Plasto-Putty-Model-Filler/dp/B0002HZ3N0

Regards

Joe.

Thanks Joe, I take it that it works on the metals as well? 

20 hours ago, Tractorman810 said:

there was a offset front axel at Zwolle, 3 d printed I think, that worked, will try and find who did it, may have their book mark on here somewhere, or their facebook page. got a feeling some of the replicagri ones are off set front axels to though??

Yes I think you are right. One of the internationals does iirc, thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Update time, had a bit of a play again this eve

bonnet cut and shut then filled, my first time using filler hence mess! Will hopefully sand tomorrow 

"new" four cyl mounted to transaxle and then to tombstone with new weights.

bonnet just resting on engine in photo so don't worry about angles!

finally mocked up with cab, won't be keeping these wheels as too big

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is a little slow due to time restraints at the moment!

anyhow has moved on a little, bonnet now assembled and filled, maybe some more to do yet, mudguards built this evening....

really need to to start thinking about front axle!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Jordan_coe2012 said:

Artisan32 does 4wd axles That steer and have a good range of wheels too you could try there perhaps. Great work too, you've done a grand job of filling the bonnet can barely see where it's joined now!!

Thanks Jordan, had seen the artisan ones, I actually have a bit of a tall order, ideally I want an offset diff and I want a wheel style similar to that in the photo at the start of the thread, which so far I have failed to find.

i am quite pleased with the bonnet so far and the join is ok, truth will be once I've got a primer on. Thanks for comments 

Archived