Farmyard build for my kids

Mark Birkett

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum so have not had much chance to read others posts. I have been building a farmyard for my 2 boys to play on, for about a year in my spare time ( i dont get much of it ).

I'm building it on a sheet of 12mm 4ftx8ft plywood base, which i cut in half to make moving it easier. So far i have nearly done the first half, comprising cubicle shed, milking parlour, barn and calf pens. The farmyard layout is as close to my own farm as i can.

Here are some pictures from my build so far.

image.thumb.jpeg.aad06b763b6e69fabf97573

image.thumb.jpeg.e7b7fa1b5e47dbadebf6110

image.thumb.jpeg.3e8a0e3e98e21a1d324a50d

image.thumb.jpeg.f7c70aace11d52dd6246992

image.thumb.jpeg.4b28aa1d1c360eb9d66ed6f

Stabliofarmer; Thanks. For the stone effect on the barns i used a stencil from a dolls house making website. Once you painted the bare walls your chosen mortar colour, you stick one of these stencils on, paste over some stone effect compound about 2mm thick then peel the stencil off.

Once dry, i painted random stones different colours like you would find in a stone wall. Then i went over with some Moss green spray from Model Mates. 

How durable it is to destructive kids, i dont know yet :)

0025, tractorman, robbo; Thanks for the encouraging replys, its no secret i'm really enjoying building this. More photos soon. 

Does anyone know how to make slidingdoors for my barns? 

29 minutes ago, Mark Birkett said:

Stabliofarmer; Thanks. For the stone effect on the barns i used a stencil from a dolls house making website. Once you painted the bare walls your chosen mortar colour, you stick one of these stencils on, paste over some stone effect compound about 2mm thick then peel the stencil off.

Once dry, i painted random stones different colours like you would find in a stone wall. Then i went over with some Moss green spray from Model Mates. 

0025, tractorman, robbo; Thanks for the encouraging replys, its no secret i'm really enjoying building this. More photos soon. 

I bought some of that about 3 months ago, haven't had time to try it out yet but looking at that I need to get going as it looks great, did you use the 1/32 scale template and if so did you have any trouble with using the stone compound with the stencil as on the dolls house website it says the compunds only really good for 1:24 and above?

Thanks for the reply by the way

30 minutes ago, Mark Birkett said:

for sliding doors simply make your doors out of your chosen material then at the top make a little thin bit the length of your chosen thickness of the doors then get another piece to fit over it and that is wider to hang down after this put a pics of wood at the side to stop falling off one opened. Here is a pic below of my sliding doors...

WP_20151004_14_54_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20151004_14_56_44_Pro.jpg

For sliding doors i used a piece of Square Plastruct rod for the bar the door slides on, held it out against the wall with some more plastruct and then hung the doors on it using little strips of paper stuck to one side of the door, wrapped round the bar and then stuck to the other side forming a loop. The paper would be far from child proof though but it could be replaced with something like a bit of tin from a can of pop and the plastruct with a metal bar.

These photos probably explain it better

102_2803.thumb.JPG.50216bfb18f6e45c33a26

102_2802.thumb.JPG.7effca418a194e78d04e9

102_2801.thumb.JPG.7ea55fce34e3ceb2429c4

1 hour ago, Stabliofarmer said:

I bought some of that about 3 months ago, haven't had time to try it out yet but looking at that I need to get going as it looks great, did you use the 1/32 scale template and if so did you have any trouble with using the stone compound with the stencil as on the dolls house website it says the compunds only really good for 1:24 and above?

Thanks for the reply by the way

I actually used 1:24 scale stencils. You cant really tell what scale it it as it looks near enough.

21 hours ago, smallclaas said:

Great yard some nice detail in the stone buildings. Nice cubicle house and parlour. Always nice to build something in scale based on the real world version.

Thanks smallclaas. I'm trying to find a balance between being detailed and being robust enough for young lads to play on. I'm not sure if i dare let them loose on it now ;D

Just a quick update showing my gate design. The gates are welded together from steel bar i bought from wickes. On one end is a piece of tube which acts as a hinge for the gate to swing.

Through the plywood base, i bolted a 4mm bolt which is countersunk on the underside so it sits flush. This bolt acts as a post over which the gate slides on.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a9b420129f1a692a197943

image.thumb.jpeg.6dbf06edb5d3e918e289614

I got the roof on the cow shed finnished today. I was in 2 minds wether to have a removable roof so the boys have full access to whats inside or go for a hinged roof. In the end i opted for a hinged roof. That way it stays fixed to the farmyard and not getting mislayed somewhere or getting broken.

What do you think?

image.thumb.jpeg.93352fa007a12bcec029895

image.thumb.jpeg.ea0afd8dfe224ec10c7aa90

• 2 weeks later...

Just a picture of my sliding door design. 

I welded some small bolts onto 6mm tube. These bolt through the walls to fix it solid. The doors simply have 2 ring screws fixed on the top.

I'll post more when i get them on the sheds.

image.thumb.jpeg.8099dce3863d66aafa54b5d

I got the sliding doors bolted onto the walls last night. Here are some pictures showing both open and shut.

While i was at it, i started putting longer bolts through the gates. The old ones were a bit short. This means i can get a nut on top to stop kids taking the gates off!

image.thumb.jpeg.fe9a8db664f03e210de80bb

image.thumb.jpeg.8ab4568e71b84d947d7591b

image.thumb.jpeg.f1a45a0e9420c8a7c429c5e

Archived