Rubbatiti's Motley Collection.

rubbatiti

A few pictures of some of the Britains stuff in my collection that I've so far restored.

First is a Ford Super Major 5000 from circa 1965-68, then a Ford Force 5000 from 1969, a Ford Force 5000 from 1975, another 5000 from the same year, a MF595 from circa 1979-80, a MF135 from 1973-75 (I've the loader to fit to this but the small hook on the bucket is missing and I can't find one at the moment..) then another Super Major 5000 to which  I've added  rear wheel and a front weight set. Finally a picture of some of the other Fords I have waiting restoration, next on the list in that pile is the E27N I think!

002.JPG

003.JPG

005.JPG

012.JPG

009.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

Thanks very much :) I initially started collecting again to own the models I had when I was young, the first Britains tractors I owned were the Ford 6600, MF595, Deutz DX110, I remember my cousin had the Fiat 880DT and a MF135, which was always my favourite Britains tractor (he also had the battery powered Lister elevator which he'd got from somewhere, wish I had that now!)

I've now quite a large 'scrap pile' of tractors and implements for restoration ( I do seem to have quite a  few Bamfords BL58 balers and tipping trailers for some reason!????)

3 hours ago, rubbatiti said:

Thanks very much :) I initially started collecting again to own the models I had when I was young, the first Britains tractors I owned were the Ford 6600, MF595, Deutz DX110, I remember my cousin had the Fiat 880DT and a MF135, which was always my favourite Britains tractor (he also had the battery powered Lister elevator which he'd got from somewhere, wish I had that now!)

I've now quite a large 'scrap pile' of tractors and implements for restoration ( I do seem to have quite a  few Bamfords BL58 balers and tipping trailers for some reason!????)

Same as myself. I have built up a collection if 70s ,80s era Britains also that I had as a child. Most I pulled from EBay. 

eBay's been a source of all manner of goodies for restoration as well as spares tractors etc.

My father also has a big collection of Britains stuff, mainly from the '80s to the present, the vast majority of which have never been out of their boxes, I'll have to get some pictures of those soon too.

My three oldest Britains tractors all awaiting restoration!

The E27N from 1953-58, as with most others it's lost its air pre-cleaner, exhaust silencer, steering wheel, seat and the drawbar and front axle are broken! Luckily the parts are available though, the tyres on it here are reproduction.

The E1A Major to the rear is from 1959-60, this one is all complete with the exception of the headlamps and a broken steering wheel, some one had painted it red previously hence the patches still visible on it!

The other E1A is from 1961-63, again complete only another broken steering wheel.

002.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Picked this Britains industrial MF135 up for £2 although in terms of restoration I think it's going to be a case of the 'Ship of Theseus'

Most of what remains is broken and what isn't broken is missing, essentially all I can use is the skid unit, front tyres and the rear wheel rims and tyres and even then part of the drawbar is broken as is the front axle beam, the axle pin I saved but had to reshape it somewhat.

Missing/broken parts are the bonnet, exhaust pipe, steering column, front axle beam, linkage and linkage lever, seat, rear wings, front grille and one rear wheel 'hub'

001.JPG

36 minutes ago, dm434 said:

Even with a broken draw bar its useful . replace the lift arms with those from a Ford 5000 and now you have a 135 with a pick up hitch.

Good plan, I might just do that, currently wading through my scrap parts seeing what I've got to rebuild it.

you say the front axel needed straightened. if its an internal steering model ,the axel is ment to be slightly bent so it can fit into the steering mechanism:)

32 minutes ago, dm434 said:

you say the front axel needed straightened. if its an internal steering model ,the axel is ment to be slightly bent so it can fit into the steering mechanism:)

Yes sorry wasn't that clear, it is the early 135 with the internal steering so has the 'V' shaped axle pin it was that mine was more 'S' shaped when I got it!

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to come across this recently, Britains last outing for the Fordson New Performance Major from 1965 before the appearance of the Super Major 5000.

Apart from a lot of missing paint it's pretty complete, just a broken steering wheel, missing lift lever and a bent front axle pin.

fordsone1a001.JPG

fordsone1a002.JPG

34 minutes ago, dm434 said:

...I'm a bit loathed to pay what some make on ebay

They certainly make good money on eBay, even for really rough beaten up examples, I don't think I've ever seen any of the Britains E1A Majors for under £40, add a set of spade lug wheels and the price shoots up!

6 minutes ago, rubbatiti said:

They certainly make good money on eBay, even for really rough beaten up examples, I don't think I've ever seen any of the Britains E1A Majors for under £40, add a set of spade lug wheels and the price shoots up!

I was really lucky a while back , E27N Major with a broken front axel for £13 and lately a yellow E1A major minus draw bar n steering wheel for similar money . its crazy what these basic models make . I guess its all down to them being old n rare . the amount of mf 135's I binned as a kid because of broken parts is unreal

I quite fancy an industrial E1A too but I've not enough 'spare' ones at the moment to even refinish a blue one, I've a quite a few Super Major 5000s awaiting restoration and I'll probably do one of these in industrial yellow finish.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest finds and restoration!

First picture shows a Britains Super Major from 1961-63 i luckily came across cheaply recently, it's missing its front axle and wheels, steering linkage, steering wheel, hydraulic linkage lever and cross shaft and half the draw bar is broken off (as usual!) when I do get around to restoring it I'll probably fit spade lug wheels as I have a similar tractor on tyres, and I happen to have a set of spade lug front wheels I'd like to use! The Fordson behind it I've had while, this one is from 1965.

The second picture shows a Britains New Major from 1959-60 on spade lugs, this one's missing its steering wheel, linkage lower arms a lug from one rear wheel and a headlamp.

I really ought get around to restoring some of them soon..they're an absolute swine to take apart though...

Final picture here an Britains Ford Super Major 5000 I've recently finished, I assume it's quite an early example as it has the 'square' front axle and steering column from the earlier E1A Majors.

DSCF3405.JPG

DSCF3406.JPG

DSCF3407.JPG

DSCF3279.JPG

I'm still to add the Britains Majors to my own collection ..Hard to get a good one these days , they all need a bit work to smarten them up. Even the old broken ones make big money on EBay.. But if that's the route I have to go down .. Then I will. I done an old 5000 Major a while back alright & gave it the old high Britains cab & a Shawnee Poole dump trailer to pair with it ..but it's the 6600s are my baby's !!;D First toy tractor I had in my younger years.. 

Same as, my first Britains tractor was a 6600, I have a good few I'm going to restore now my 5000 collection is finished (I think!) it was the earlier sort with the spoked steering wheel. I do remember being distraught when the exhaust silencer broke off! :'(

Archived